• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside Transpennine Express (Channel 5 Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
20:00 for the final two episodes

Thanks... I might have missed it otherwise!!

Just catching up with last weeks episode. The 185 with the cracked manifold. They took the engine out, replaced the manfold and then put the engine back.

Surely they could learn from aviation practice. Take engine out, put replacement engine in and return unit to service, repair engine. This would result in less downtime and fewer cancellations.

I was thinking that at the time when I was watching it - that procedure would have been the logical thing to do. I do hope they haven't run out of spare engines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

christopher

I'm sure it wouldn't take that long changing the manifold, it was probably made more dramatic than what it was for the cameras.

Southern Dvr

Thanks... I might have missed it otherwise!!

I was thinking that at the time when I was watching it - that procedure would have been the logical thing to do. I do hope they haven't run out of spare engines?

at certain times of the year there are less spare engines available than at other times.

Just catching up with last weeks episode. The 185 with the cracked manifold. They took the engine out, replaced the manfold and then put the engine back.

Surely they could learn from aviation practice. Take engine out, put replacement engine in and return unit to service, repair engine. This would result in less downtime and fewer cancellations.

Once the engine is out it doesn't take that long to change the manifold and to put the engine back in again. It's the day shift and the unit's not going anywhere until the next morning anyway so you're not gaining much. If anything you're delaying the repair of the engine and unnecessarily using other resources for something that's actually quite minor. Plus when you change an engine you then spend time swapping certain components between them anyway.

For once the cameras actually showed this task for what it is and wasn't as dramatised as some of the other scenes from the depot. The previous week's episode of the train lift was ridiculous though.

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
I'm sure it wouldn't take that long changing the manifold, it was probably made more dramatic than what it was for the cameras.
Does that actually ever happen on reality TV documentaries? ;)

It's standard practice for the editors/directors/producers of so-called reality TV shows to over-dramatise. Once you learn to recognise it, it can spoil it somewhat.

Timmyd

In the last episode, which was the station where the youths were hanging around causing trouble, and the two policewomen went to deal with them? Had a particularly dingy looking subway. Thanks

Established Member
In the last episode, which was the station where the youths were hanging around causing trouble, and the two policewomen went to deal with them? Had a particularly dingy looking subway. Thanks
Kearsley apparently

Last edited:

ajs1981

I thought the station based revenue staff member (RPI?) spoke particularly well about the issue of fatalities. That's not to say others spoke badly.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Do TPE services ever use Kearsley station?
They pass through on the Airport - Scotland services
And TPE services pass through, but don't call at, quite a few other stations on that route as well, no doubt. Point I'm trying to make, but obviously not that well, is why the TV production company would be filming for a TPE related programme at a station (= Kearsley?) that TPE services quite probably don't ever stop at.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I expect they were following the BTP around who responded to a call that sounded interesting. It just happened to be that station.

Fokx

And TPE services pass through, but don't call at, quite a few other stations on that route as well, no doubt. Point I'm trying to make, but obviously not that well, is why the TV production company would be filming for a TPE related programme at a station (= Kearsley?) that TPE services quite probably don't ever stop at.

Because it highlights the effects external factors can have on TPE’s network. In this case, kids potentially being struck by a non-stop train due hanging out on the platform structures, and if I remember rightly the platform and station isn’t one that is well lit.

The same argument could have been said for the Northern 323 derailment, again absolutely nothing to do with TPE, but lead to cancellations and delays on the network.

For reference no TPE service is scheduled to call at Kearsley

Crossover

Established Member
Interesting show overall, though it does sometimes feel more reality show than documentary at times. Seen a few people I recognise in some of the shots, both from TPE and others from elsewhere who have been in shot at various points on the network. Nicki May was guard of one of the last services I took from Piccadilly last year - a delayed late evening (one of the last of the day I think) service and they were round helping and making sure people weren't going to miss connections in much the same way the programme portayed them.

Was I imagining it or did I see a brief clip in tonight's episode of a TPE unit apparently wrong line working, but more likely the footage had been reversed and shown back to front?

More than likely. The one that particularly irked me was in the closing sequence of the second episide (from memory) which showed a train arriving in Huddersfield p8 with the footage mirrored! (i.e. the platform was on the left and a 195 was in the sidings on the right. Things like the OFF indicator were also backwards)

For me, something doesn't add up regarding the rucksack. If the passenger genuinely left it by mistake, surely he would have realised and reported that he'd forgotten it fairly quickly, and certainly in time to stop it being treated as a suspect package. Other passengers said he seemed aware that he'd left it, did any of them shout out to him after he got off?
The word numpty came to mind ref the stupid person !....It amuses me the makers of series included the person making a first class fool of himself .

I found the whole thing to be very odd. Part of it must have been filmed after the event for effect or did they get the passenger back to have a rant at the guard for the cameras?! (the bag was deposited at Marsden p2, Manchester bound, but the irate passenger was filmed at Huddersfield p4 from what I remember)

Fokx

I found the whole thing to be very odd. Part of it must have been filmed after the event for effect or did they get the passenger back to have a rant at the guard for the cameras?! (the bag was deposited at Marsden p2, Manchester bound, but the irate passenger was filmed at Huddersfield p4 from what I remember)

Allegedly a regular commuter on the Hudds to Picc stopper which may explain the altercation at Huddersfield p4 later on in the day.

I’d assume the passenger has realised once he’s got off and either travelled back later in the day on a duty where Nicki was the same conductor, or more likely (hence the camera crew) he’s potentially travelled back on the other stopper train to Huddersfield from Slaithwaite to meet the train he was on when it comes back to Huddersfield to search for/collect his bag, not realising the impact it’s had, only to ask the station staff and be told it was given to BTP and left unattended at Marsden

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Allegedly a regular commuter on the Hudds to Picc stopper which may explain the altercation at Huddersfield p4 later on in the day.

I’d assume the passenger has realised once he’s got off and either travelled back later in the day on a duty where Nicki was the same conductor, or more likely (hence the camera crew) he’s potentially travelled back on the other stopper train to Huddersfield from Greenfield/Slaithwaite to meet the train he was on when it comes back to Huddersfield to search for/collect his bag, not realising the impact it’s had, only to ask the station staff and be told it was given to BTP and left unattended at Marsden

Do we know how it came to be unattended? While I have left a bag unattended to go to the loo, I've generally told someone I was doing that, so the situation wouldn't arise as per the programme - that person would presumably speak up and say what I'd said, and then they'd bang on the bog door to ask if it was mine.

Fokx

Do we know how it came to be unattended? While I have left a bag unattended to go to the loo, I've generally told someone I was doing that, so the situation wouldn't arise as per the programme - that person would presumably speak up and say what I'd said, and then they'd bang on the bog door to ask if it was mine.

The person involved got off at a station (presumably Slaithwaite the stop before Marsden) and left it behind, passengers believed he was acting unusually prior to doing so.

Crossover

Established Member

I’d assume the passenger has realised once he’s got off and either travelled back later in the day on a duty where Nicki was the same conductor, or more likely (hence the camera crew) he’s potentially travelled back on the other stopper train to Huddersfield from Slaithwaite to meet the train he was on when it comes back to Huddersfield to search for/collect his bag, not realising the impact it’s had, only to ask the station staff and be told it was given to BTP and left unattended at Marsden

Well that’s the other thing, at Huddersfield the passenger had the bag, it seems, despite it having being dumped at Marsden (Manchester bound) and removed by the BTP. He must have retrieved it pretty quickly. I can’t imagine the guards will do that many turns on the stoppers either each day. Also, for clarity, the guard in that incident was Mandy I believe

Being the pedant that’s I am, I’m sure that when the guard was making the announcement the unit number (or carriage number) was visible In the cab, which was a different one to that seen on the external footage, though I may be misremembering.

Fokx

Well that’s the other thing, at Huddersfield the passenger had the bag, it seems, despite it having being dumped at Marsden (Manchester bound) and removed by the BTP. He must have retrieved it pretty quickly. I can’t imagine the guards will do that many turns on the stoppers either each day. Also, for clarity, the guard in that incident was Mandy I believe

Being the pedant that’s I am, I’m sure that when the guard was making the announcement the unit number (or carriage number) was visible In the cab, which was a different one to that seen on the external footage, though I may be misremembering.

Apologies, yes it was infact CI Mandy from Piccadilly

In regards to the stoppers, conductors do work them for most of the day. I know there was atleast one weekend duty where that is the case and involves around 4 return trips as it’s something I’m due to sign

2L70

On Moderation
Caught about 15min of it at half time in the Liverpool game... From Episode 2 onwards was just an 45min Advert

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I watched the sixth episode today. A nice ending to a relatively enjoyable series. The filming in March just as Covid19 was hitting the UK was a stark reminder that we are still living with this dreadful virus and we need to keep safe and not complacent as lockdown is now being eased.

I did wonder about the passenger on the train who told the conductor to 'take a hike' because he was on the wrong train and refused to purchase another ticket. The conductor didn't seem to challenge this chap and advise him that we would be apprehended by station staff when he got off. It just seemed very unusual this passenger was not advised but I do accept TPE staff were probably being mindful of social distancing by this stage of filming.

CJ

Fokx

I did wonder about the passenger on the train who told the conductor to 'take a hike' because he was on the wrong train and refused to purchase another ticket. The conductor didn't seem to challenge this chap and advise him that we would be apprehended by station staff when he got off. It just seemed very unusual this passenger was not advised but I do accept TPE staff were probably being mindful of social distancing by this stage of filming.

CJ

It’s because would NEVER say that to the passenger.

If you told an already aggressive passenger that he’s going to be stopped and apprehended as soon as he gets off the train, the passenger will overthink about that until he arrives at the station, and more likely than not take his building anger out on the nearest member of station staff who are none of the wiser (potentially a dispatcher or catering staff rather than revenue), on the conductor whilst on the train or completing platform duties or leave the train a station earlier with no benefit to the company.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
It’s because would NEVER say that to the passenger.

If you told an already aggressive passenger that he’s going to be stopped and apprehended as soon as he gets off the train, the passenger will overthink about that until he arrives at the station, and more likely than not take his building anger out on the nearest member of station staff who are none of the wiser (potentially a dispatcher or catering staff rather than revenue), on the conductor whilst on the train or completing platform duties or leave the train a station earlier with no benefit to the company.

I did wonder about that. I'm from a policing background - I thought it was a little unusual the conductor simply walked away up the aisle without even trying to challenge or advise the chap in question.

It is easy to judge other professionals through policing eyes when you watch these programmes so it wasn't intended as a critism.

The passive gentleman appeared to get away anyway when the conductor had to terminate the service at York owing to his decision to self isolate.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.