• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside Transpennine Express (Channel 5 Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Any branding that is “blanked out” is because they do not have the permission of that company to actually film their product - in this case Northern’s derailed train!

It may be just related to it having derailed; on tonight's episode there were at least two clear unblurred shots of Norhern trains and two of Avanti trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Guard Managers (OBSM or On Board Service Managers) do seem to have been highly turned over lately, especially since the new TPE franchise change and the Conductor Competence Managers were ditched. York and Newcastle have seen numerous OBSMs taken on, both within the company and from outside the railway, then moved on to other roles or leave the business. It isn’t particularly good for staff morale when line managers keep being changed when consistency is needed, as an individual staff members needs can be forgotten.

Energy

Established Member
It may be just related to it having derailed; on tonight's episode there were at least two clear unblurred shots of Norhern trains and two of Avanti trains.
Maybe, it also depends when they were filmed, I think the derailment was under Arriva so wouldn't be easy to get permission for the branding now, these unblurred shots may have been filmed much latter under OLR and so permission had been obtained for these. Alternatively Arriva may have just not wanted their branding on a derailed train.

Andyh82

Established Member
The difference will be background shots vs the actual story they were covering

SuperNova

You’re secure at least. Their local managers don’t see to have much of a lifespan, The Picc Guards Manager has been there nearly 13 years I believe? Unheard of. Most get moved on about once a year..

What local managers are you referencing?

londonbridge

Established Member
For me, something doesn't add up regarding the rucksack. If the passenger genuinely left it by mistake, surely he would have realised and reported that he'd forgotten it fairly quickly, and certainly in time to stop it being treated as a suspect package. Other passengers said he seemed aware that he'd left it, did any of them shout out to him after he got off?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Considering they're the same people who made Paddington 24/7, this show makes that look BAFTA worthy. Amateur mistakes such as calling multiple units locomotives, reversed shots and doing the exact same thing twice. Can the production company that did Keeping Britain on Track come back?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
For me, something doesn't add up regarding the rucksack. If the passenger genuinely left it by mistake, surely he would have realised and reported that he'd forgotten it fairly quickly, and certainly in time to stop it being treated as a suspect package. Other passengers said he seemed aware that he'd left it, did any of them shout out to him after he got off?

I agree. Some viewers might argue that the lady conductor went a bit OTT treating the rucksack as a potential bomb, but I have to tip my hat off to her, as she dealt with it thoroughly.

I must admit I was amazed how professional she was when the male passenger confronted her at the end of the programme.

I actually got rather annoyed just watching this. This idiot has caused hundreds of pounds in losses to the rail industry as a result of the delays caused by leaving his bag. This is not to mention the cost to police time - those cops could be elsewhere dealing with something else.

At the end of the day, the rucksack and it's contents will be restored to this man and he will not incur any fines/charges. You would think the least he could do was offer a huge apology and thank you to the conductor. Instead this complete buffoon began complaining and wanted to take it further!!!!!

There is absolutely no way, I could have stood there biting my lip like the conductor did - I would have to walk away from him before I said something inappropriate.

CJ

swanhill41

The word numpty came to mind ref the stupid person !....It amuses me the makers of series included the person making a first class fool of himself .

C J Snarzell

Established Member
The word numpty came to mind ref the stupid person !....It amuses me the makers of series included the person making a first class fool of himself .

I was wondering about that too. I'm sure the film makers could have even offered to blur out his face to protect his identity.

I even suspected at one stage when he glanced briefly at the camera - he might have underlining mental health issues.

The passengers on the train who reported the rucksack mentioned he had behaved oddly prior to leaving the train which might support the point about his behaviour.

However, I would find it very doubtful the production crew would let this man make a total prat of himself if he was genuinely ill.

CJ

Last edited:

SuperNova

I was wondering about that too. I'm sure the film makers could have even offered to blur out his face to protect his identity.

I even suspected at one stage when he glanced briefly at the camera - he might have underlining mental health issues.

The passengers on the train who reported the rucksack mentioned he had behaved oddly prior to leaving the train which might support the point about his behaviour.

However, I would find it very doubtful the production crew would let this man make a total prat of himself if he was genuinely ill.

CJ

You had to sign an agreement if you were in the documentary - so he will have.

plymothian

The backpack passed the HOT procedure.
It wasn't hidden, wasn't obviously suspicious and was typical for the situation. The only thing pointing towards suspicious was the passengers' comments.
But then, once deciding to treat it as suspicious, moves it!

Established Member
Looking at the radio times for next week the Wednesday 9pm slot is replaced by a battle of Britain show.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking at the radio times for next week the Wednesday 9pm slot is replaced by a battle of Britain show.
Is that then yet another Channel 5 railway-themed documentary series seemingly pulled before the end of its expected run? I make it still two episodes to go after tomorrow night's scheduled airing.

Fokx

I don’t believe it’s accurate, Freeview’s online TV guide and the channel listing is still showing Railway 24/7

It would be really surprising as it’s currently attracting a consistent viewing figure of 1million per episode, the highest viewing figure for a show of its kind for Channel 5! (Ep 3 was 1.1m)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is that then yet another Channel 5 railway-themed documentary series seemingly pulled before the end of its expected run? I make it still two episodes to go after tomorrow night's scheduled airing.

I don't think it's been pulled; the Battle of Britain one is a special over three nights at the same time ( Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 21.00 ) so it's probably just been moved for it - although of course with Channel 5 you can never be certain...

Last edited:

Established Member
I don’t believe it’s accurate, Freeview’s online TV guide and the channel listing is still showing Railway 24/7

It would be really surprising as it’s currently attracting a consistent viewing figure of 1million per episode, the highest viewing figure for a show of its kind for Channel 5! (Ep 3 was 1.1m)
I'm just going off the radio times which I have normally foundto be quite accurate.
I don't think it's been pulled; the Battle of Britain one is a special over three nights at the same time ( Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 21.00 ) so it's probable just been moved for it - although of course with Channel 5 you can never be certain...
It' not been pulled. Apparently - getting over 1m watching every week, which is good for C5 apparently.
That is good hopefully it is just off for the one week.

Envoy

Established Member
Why have they got to put such awful background noises on certain sequences? In this week’s episode, the noise was so awful during the bit when they showed the command centre, that I nearly muted the sound.

2HAP

Just catching up with last weeks episode. The 185 with the cracked manifold. They took the engine out, replaced the manfold and then put the engine back.

Surely they could learn from aviation practice. Take engine out, put replacement engine in and return unit to service, repair engine. This would result in less downtime and fewer cancellations.

Status
Not open for further replies.