• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Insufficient compensation from First TransPennine Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Thanks to Scotrail releasing those £1 tickets, I decided to go and cover the Far North line back in February. I booked my advances before the Lamington disruption had started and, having read on here that TPE were offering vouchers, sent my tickets off to claim compensation after my trip.

My tickets had cost £7.90 each way for the TPE leg, 65p each way for the Scotrail journey and £2.85 for a cheap day single from Wigan to Manchester.

Yesterday their letters arrived. Going north, bearing in mind I was delayed for 4 hours and 28 minutes, I found their 'goodwill' extended to a very generous £4.30(!) For the return journey I was delayed almost 2 hours and recieved £5.40 (to take into account the WGN-MCO piece).

For people on here that recieved vouchers from TPE, were they to the full cost of the tickets or to 50% of the cost?

I feel more insulted about the 'goodwill' than the actual delay to be honest!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
For people on here that recieved vouchers from TPE, were they to the full cost of the tickets or to 50% of the cost?

I feel more insulted about the 'goodwill' than the actual delay to be honest!
I don't know, but would point out that that it appears the amounts are correct based on their Passenger Charter.

Established Member
I don't know, but would point out that that it appears the amounts are correct based on their Passenger Charter.
That was my thought, but the letters both very clearly refer to the payment as goodwill, and regardless of that I would hazard a guess that exceptionally few people are delayed anywhere near that amount of time

Aeion

I was under the impression that severe weather conditions exempt delay repay and so as your delay was down to that they are under no obligation to issue and compensation hence the goodwill stated.

Established Member
I was under the impression that severe weather conditions exempt delay repay and so as your delay was down to that they are under no obligation to issue and compensation hence the goodwill stated.
There is no get out from Delay Repay, however TPE do not yet operate delay repay. The new franchise in April, thankfully, will however.

For the record I've had higher amounts of goodwill compensation due to peak time trains being short formed and subsequently being delayed only 30 minutes.

najaB

Veteran Member
You may be onto something there - in a roundabout way. Passenger Charter compensation isn't payable when the delay is due to weather. So I suppose TPE are correct when they call it Goodwill.

Aeion

There is no get out from Delay Repay, however TPE do not yet operate delay repay. The new franchise in April, thankfully, will however.

For the record I've had higher amounts of goodwill compensation due to peak time trains being short formed and subsequently being delayed only 30 minutes.

Well according the the TPE delay repay form and it's passenger charter it states

"The arrangements for compensation will not apply to certain delays that are outside our control such as severe weather, vandalism, fatalities and security alerts."

So I would presume that there is a get out clause from delay repay

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
TPE do not operate Delay Repay. They operate the old style of scheme which is less generous and means they do not have to compensate where the delay was outside of the railways control (extreme weather for example).

Under Delay Repay this is not the case and regardless of the cause of the delay compensation is due if the correct time thresholds are met. From April when the new franchise takes over they will start offering Delay Repay with it's wider provisions for compensation.

deltic

Established Member
Probably just me but if I had paid just under £20 (if I have got my maths correct) to travel from Wigan to Wick/Thurso or Kyle I dont think I would bother claiming for a delayed journey unless I had had to stand the whole time especially as it was completely outside the operators control.

thealexweb

Probably just me but if I had paid just under £20 (if I have got my maths correct) to travel from Wigan to Wick/Thurso or Kyle I dont think I would bother claiming for a delayed journey unless I had had to stand the whole time especially as it was completely outside the operators control.

Network Rail will have compensated the TOCs for the disruption, why should the TOCs be left to keep all of the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.