• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intention to... prosecute :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fare-Cop

I recieved a letter of a notice of intention to prosecute from first capital connect today, I was stopped by inspectors on a train to finsbury park and i couldnt find my ticket. I was heading to north london and i had purchased my ticket using the machine a couple of days prior to the day of my job interview. The letter says notice of intention to prosecute for the offence of ''failing to hand over a rail ticket for inspection''. I am a law student and a prosecution would be detrimental to my career path for obvious reasons. Please help? What is the likelyhood of this being taken to court? will they settle out of court if i pay the fare again ? Do they usually let people just pay the fare again? Will a grovelling letter in my details of offence help?

Thanks so much for any help
I wasnt issued with any kind of penalty fare, just an intention to prosecute

'Failing to hand over a rail ticket for inspection' is a breach of National Railways Byelaw 18.2 (2005)
It is a strict liability matter.

As you are a law student I am sure that you are familiar with that and that your intention is not being questioned.

Yes, an apologetic letter, asking if the matter could be resolved by alternative disposal and making your offer to pay all reasonably incurred costs plus the rail fare is a very good idea in my opinion.

The TOC are not obliged to accept it, but if you explain that you are studying law and the effect of a conviction would be entirely disproportionate to the level of offence comitted, I am sure that they will give the request proper consideration

Sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but having read through your posts and considered what in my view are fairly unconvincing arguments, I think you are wasting your time trying to talk your way out of the fact that you 'did fail to hand over a rail ticket for inspection when asked'.

That appears to be what is being alleged and it is that wording which forms the basis of the charge.

Good luck

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think we'll call it a day there.

RailwayUser93 - please feel free to contact me when the matter is resolved and/or if you need any further advice. Good luck.

Update: RailwayUser93 followed our advice and reached an out of court settlement with FCC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.