• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

inter-availability of ITSO smartcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
(Please don't mention oyster in any responses to this thread)

Hello,

In the bus world, I've seen it suggested that operators concerned make it impossible to use smartcards with rivals. What I mean is that if (and the products are just examples here) someone has a GoAhead "the key" then goes to an SWT station to load an SWT season ticket on may be refused - either because of the way GoAhead has initialized the card, or the way SWT has instructed its staff to only load products onto its own cards.

As I said, I've chosen SWT and GoAhead as illustrations - I am unaware whether either have the issue or not.

So my question is, has this phenomenon occurred on any of the ITSO rail schemes (which I think is just the Stagecoach SWT one and some 'the key' on GoVia.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
The idea is that you will be able to use your 'ITSOcard' across the network......eventually. South West Train's scheme is still very much under trial and is not available accross all of it's network. The ITSO's themeselves are restricted to season tickets at the moment (I've only ever seen annuals, but monthly maybe available too) for the areas that ITSO is on trial.

So what I'm trying to say is that if individual TOCs are refusing each others ITSOcards it may be due to the fact it's not yet set up for journeys between TOCs.

johnnycache

Monty is right. At the moment these systems are still essentially in the trial phase and for that reason they are not inter-available. But they are intended to be before long.

34D

Established Member
Monty is right. At the moment these systems are still essentially in the trial phase and for that reason they are not inter-available. But they are intended to be before long.

Thanks guys, this is the link I was trying to find yesterday http://thomas-cairns.co.uk/2012/01/fragmentation-interoperability-ticketing/

Status
Not open for further replies.