• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Inter-City Exhibitions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeeker

Hello

On another part of the internet I'm in a group appreciating STIFF records (of Elvis Costello etc. fame). The label would take several of its performers on tour at once, much like the famous 2-Tone tours of the same period.

I found this picture this morning and wondered if anyone had heard of this BR service. I'm always amazed at the breadth of BRs activities.

Cheers

Ben

Attachments

• tumblr_owlnzeBg0E1qc2alio1_540.jpg
    tumblr_owlnzeBg0E1qc2alio1_540.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 89
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've not seen that before. Very interesting. Is that an old Stanier coach?

gg1

Established Member
That's a new one for me too, I wonder why BR painted them in a Blood & Custardesque livery.

TheSeeker

A few more pictures. It seems the 1978 tour was by rail.

Attachments

• Stiff-Tour-U13733.jpg
    Stiff-Tour-U13733.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Stiff-Tour-U13735.jpg
    Stiff-Tour-U13735.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 31
  • mm_9_9_78_org.jpg
    mm_9_9_78_org.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 27

TheSeeker

"Edinburgh-November 27: Rachel Sweet, U.S. Pop Singer, At The Controls Of A Diesel Locomotive On November 27, 1978 In Edinburgh, Scotland."

Attachments

• stock-photo-edinburgh-november-rachel-sweet-u-s-pop-singer-at-the-controls-of-a-diesel-locomotiv.jpg
    stock-photo-edinburgh-november-rachel-sweet-u-s-pop-singer-at-the-controls-of-a-diesel-locomotiv.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 32
  • stock-photo-edinburgh-october-rachel-sweet-u-s-pop-singer-in-the-cab-of-a-diesel-locomotive-on-o.jpg
    stock-photo-edinburgh-october-rachel-sweet-u-s-pop-singer-in-the-cab-of-a-diesel-locomotive-on-o.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 29

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I saw the 1978 Be Stiff tour at Newcastle University. Their train was stationed in the western bays at the north of the station (not there anymore I think, not the ones used by TPE)

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's the BR Exhibition Train which was based at Salisbury until, I'd guess, the late 1980s/early 1990s. It was liveried for customer requirements.

The modern day version (if you can call it that, given that it was in 1997!) is the Waterman Railways 'Disney' train which toured the country - there is a picture of one of the coaches at http://www.departmentals.com/photo/99666-3 .

Capybara

Yes, I remember the tour. And I recognise Jona Lewie, Wreckless Eric, Mickey Jupp, Lene Lovich as well as Rachel Sweet on those photos. I think there was a documentary about the tour on something like BBC 4 once. There was also a piece about the first (and more famous) tour in 1977 on the Robert Elms programme on BBC Radio London yesterday (21st) which you can listen to, though I suspect your Stiff website is probably onto that. There was also an album at the time which was free from Sounds and featured those artistes. You had to collect weekly vouchers from the paper which I did. The album is still in my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.