• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inter City-only stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
The low level platforms (A & B) are branded as 'St Pancras International'...

FCC-TL announcements have FCC services as calling at 'St Pancras International' and EMT services as going to 'St Pancras'. Although when FCC are terminating at high level (1-4) they still say the train is going to 'St Pancras International' :? Confused? I am.

[/off topic]

So am I

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
I'd assume this is because when the 222s started the service there was no Eurostar services. I remember when St pancras used to just be St pancras before it became the centre it is now.

Dave R

Kenilworth (between Coventry and Leamington Spa) will be if it reopens which it is due to in 2013 (see wikipedia), it'll only have Man Pic - Bournemouth services

Bittern

Established Member
There will always be debate, but I will always say Lockerbie deserves this status. Scottish Transpennine trains are, regardless of the fact they're 185s, Intercity Trains.

The problem with Lockerbie is, at least for me, it doesn't get enough trains. I would love to film at both there and Carstairs, but the lack of trains at both stations makes that a difficult task.

mumrar

Established Member
I've brainstormed with a colleague and we've come up with Wellingborough, Market Haborough and Pewsey. Sorry if any are duplicates. We would have gone for Kettering but the Corby shuttles have spoilt that!

mumrar

Established Member
Why has this suddenly turned towards French railways?? If there are service problems they'll start to run in reverse anyway ;)

Returning to the matter in hand...
I agree that Berwick-upon-Tweed, Dunbar and Lockerbie are only served by InterCity services. To that I would add Penrith, Retford (on the ECML), Wellingborough, Kettering, Corby and Market Harborough. There may be more, but that depends on how you define an InterCity service.
As well as stations that are served ONLY by InterCity trains, adjacent stations on the same line that are also similarly served would be interesting.

mumrar

Established Member
I think Penrith and Retford have already been discounted. So have Kettering and Corby in the post I made just 4 above yours that already said Market H and Wellingborough. Please try and look before posting repetitions

Mintona

Established Member
I think Penrith and Retford have already been discounted. So have Kettering and Corby in the post I made just 4 above yours that already said Market H and Wellingborough. Please try and look before posting repetitions

Fine one to talk, I posted Pewsey ages ago!

mumrar

Established Member
Yes that's true. I see now. But I went by the initial summary list and anything posted subsequently asking for corrections that didn't include Pewsey and the posts which followed it.

me123

Established Member
I think Penrith ...(has)... already been discounted...

Trains that service Lockerbie are similar to the trains that serve Penrith. Virgin serve it on Glasgow-London and Scotland-Birmingham trains, and TPE serve it on Scotland-Manchester trains. You cannot say that Lockerbie qualifies, but then discount Penrith.

And I've already explained that I think Transpennine services to Scotland qualify as Intercity all things considered, although there could well be some debate in this.

On the other hand, Oxenholme is served by trains to Windermere, so that would not qualify IMO.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Back in the early 80's, the announcer at Peckham Rye station would refer to the "Inter-City" service between London Bridge and Victoria, so would Clapham and Wandsworth Road count? :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apart from 1 service a week half of the year: Runcorn.
By that logic, Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge! And if you include them, you can pretty much include anything that is operated by a 4-car EMU (there's nothing special about 350s!), so we may as well list nearly all the stations in the Network Area!;)

pemma

Veteran Member
By that logic, Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge! And if you include them, you can pretty much include anything that is operated by a 4-car EMU (there's nothing special about 350s!), so we may as well list nearly all the stations in the Network Area!;)

The 350/1s were built as regional express trains, the same as 158s, 170s and 185s. The 350s certainly aren't in the same category as units like the 455s and 458s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Back in the early 80's, the announcer at Peckham Rye station would refer to the "Inter-City" service between London Bridge and Victoria, so would Clapham and Wandsworth Road count? :)

No. The Stockport station announcers refer to all trains that run Stockport-Manchester non-stop as 'The express to Manchester' These include the Voyagers from Birmingham, but also include Pacers from Chester.

scrapy

Established Member
When publishing performance Intercity services were classed (now known as long distance) as on time when arriving at destination within 10 minutes of published time whereas local services are classed as on time when arriving within 5 minutes.

TPE are classed as on-time when arriving within 10mins so I would think the dft would class them as Intercity.

The term Intercity surely describes the route (Inter cities) rather than the traction used, and Manchester Airport to Glasgow is a greater distance than London - Norwich or Sheffield.

pemma

Veteran Member
When publishing performance Intercity services were classed (now known as long distance) as on time when arriving at destination within 10 minutes of published time whereas local services are classed as on time when arriving within 5 minutes.

TPE are classed as on-time when arriving within 10mins so I would think the dft would class them as Intercity.

On that basis some Northern Rail services would be inter-city.

From the Northern passengers charter:

Our punctuality standards for arrival at final destination are as follows: –

•Short-distance services (punctuality) – We aim that at least 91 out of every 100 trains (91%) will arrive at their final destination within five minutes of the time shown in our timetables.
•Long-distance services (punctuality) - We aim that at least 91 out of every 100 trains (91%) will arrive at their final destination within 10 minutes of the time shown in our timetables.

MCR247

Established Member
Apart from 1 service a week half of the year: Runcorn.

Well, then thats not Inter City only is it :p Although if there was a new thread called 'Inter-City Only Apart from 1 service a week half of the year then it would be perfect ;)

EDIT: Would you class London Midland LIV-BHM inter city though? :?

pemma

Veteran Member
Would you class London Midland LIV-BHM inter city though? :?

If the ones that run the limited stop service were run by CrossCountry and the ones with extra stops were run by London Midland, then the CrossCountry service between Liverpool and Birmingham would have the same amount of stops as the Manchester to Birmingham services.

MCR247

Established Member
If the ones that run the limited stop service were run by CrossCountry and the ones with extra stops were run by London Midland, then the CrossCountry service between Liverpool and Birmingham would have the same amount of stops as the Manchester to Birmingham services.

Which one :?

1034 off LIV Calls at: South Parkway, Runcorn, Hartford, Winsford, Crewe, Stafford, Wolves, Coseley, New St SLOW (MAYBE SLOW SEMI FAST?)

1104 off LIV calls at: South Parkway, Runcorn, Crewe, Staford, Penkridge, Wolves, Smethwick Galton Bridge, New St SEMI FAST

None of the above are Inter-City

pemma

Veteran Member
Which one :?

1034 off LIV Calls at: South Parkway, Runcorn, Hartford, Winsford, Crewe, Stafford, Wolves, Coseley, New St SLOW (MAYBE SLOW SEMI FAST?)

1104 off LIV calls at: South Parkway, Runcorn, Crewe, Staford, Penkridge, Wolves, Smethwick Galton Bridge, New St SEMI FAST

None of the above are Inter-City

They've added in extra stops since I last travelled on a Liverpool to Birmingham service. One service used to call at all stations that London Midland regularly serve, the next called at only Runcorn, Crewe, Stafford, Wolverhampton between Liverpool and Birmingham.

It certainly didn't use to be quicker to change trains if you were travelling between Liverpool and Birmingham.

tbtc

Veteran Member
They've added in extra stops since I last travelled on a Liverpool to Birmingham service. One service used to call at all stations that London Midland regularly serve, the next called at only Runcorn, Crewe, Stafford, Wolverhampton between Liverpool and Birmingham.

It certainly didn't use to be quicker to change trains if you were travelling between Liverpool and Birmingham.

From memory, it used to be a "fast" and a "slow" each hour, with the "slow" covering the stops of the old Central Trains Liverpool - Birmingham - Stanstead servce; now they have evened the two out, to gve a better spaced half hourly service

And may I suggest Falkirk High as getting an "intercty" quality of service (only the limited stop shuttles serve it)...

Bittern

Established Member
That's right. Falkirk High does qualify, as it's only served by the express Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley and vice-versa trains.

Bittern

Established Member
That's one thing I don't really understand. If they manage it, why not run at least 1 train per day to/from Lockerbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.