• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interchanges between stations - walking or otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hopefully some will have a better idea of the interchanges between stations compared to looking on Google Maps. I'll be doing some of these in the next few days:

1) Warrington Bank Quay - Warrington Central. The plan I have says this can be done in half an hour, although the plan is flexible.

2) Runcorn - Runcorn East. I'll have approximately an hour to do this, so either a bus or taxi. I remember asking the same question a while back and a bus was mentioned, but can't remember the number.

3) Burscough Junction - Burscough Bridge. Half an hour booked to do this but Google Maps says you can do it in around 15 minutes.

4) Giggleswick - Settle. Had to change plans at the last minute, but I have over an hour to do this. Tempted to book a taxi as I'd like to have something to eat in between.

Cheers in advance for the suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Giggleswick-Settle takes about 5 minutes in a taxi. I used Settle Taxis (01729822219) a couple of weekends ago for the reverse journey which cost £4.50. Booked it the day before and they turned up exactly on time. Could have walked it in less than half an hour but also wanted to get something to eat - Fish and Chips from the chip shop in the Shambles and a pint in the Royal Oak.

gnolife

Established Member
Warrington Bank Quay to Warrington Central can be a bit awkward to do, takes about 15-20 mins if you don't get lost. Alternatively there is a 50p shuttle bus to the Interchange from opposite Bank Quay station.

6Gman

Established Member
Warrington Bank Quay to Warrington Central can be a bit awkward to do, takes about 15-20 mins if you don't get lost. Alternatively there is a 50p shuttle bus to the Interchange from opposite Bank Quay station.

Bank Quay to Central is o.k. so long as you don't get distracted by shopping centres, bus stations, or distant views of the railway ! What looks like a short cut will leave you marooned on an elevated roadway, yards from the station, but unable to reach it.

Doesn't the bus go via various industrial estates? Therefore taking as long as walking?

LE Greys

Established Member
If we're broadening the discussion, I've done Glasgow Queen Street-Central with a large non-wheeled suitcase before. That's not very comfortable and takes a while.

6Gman

Established Member
Hopefully some will have a better idea of the interchanges between stations compared to looking on Google Maps. I'll be doing some of these in the next few days:

2) Runcorn - Runcorn East. I'll have approximately an hour to do this, so either a bus or taxi. I remember asking the same question a while back and a bus was mentioned, but can't remember the number.

Without wishing to stereotype, you probably wouldn't want to walk this one!

Bevan Price

Established Member

Turn left outside Bank Quay. Cross road at pedestrian crossing and continue towards the next traffic lights. Turn right at lights, continue past park & shops until you pass a smallish church (on your right). Just after church, turn left at pedestrianised junction and about 200 yards away, you will see the rail overbridge adjacent to Central station. Maybe marginally quicker short cut through shopping centre, but easy to get lost if you have not been there before. Around 15 minutes (more if carrying heavy luggage,) If in hurry, there are usually a few taxis outside Bank Quay, but complex road system might make the journey a bit longer than you expect.

Polarbear

Established Member

I'd not walk this one. It's a long way, easy to get lost & walking amongst lots of houses & the delightful Halton Lea shopping centre isn't my idea of a nice afternoon stroll...;)

The only direct bus between these two points is service 62 operated by Halton Transport http://home.btconnect.com/haltontransport/062_111128.pdf

You can also use service X1 from Runcorn East to the old town bus station, then a short walk from there. This service is the Liverpool express & is operated by Arriva.

Bevan Price

Established Member

Most buses between Runcorn & Runcorn East involve a change at Halton Lea shopping centre. Turn left outside Runcorn station exit, and descend stairs that you will see on the left (next to car park). Walk under road bridge then turn left at road junction. You will see a bus stop about 50 yards from the junction. Most buses from this stop go to Halton Lea, where you will usually have to change to Arriva service 1 or 2 to get to Runcorn East.

Check Arriva bus timetables for Runcorn area at:
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/ServiceSearchResults.aspx?regid=126&txt=Runcorn

But note that at peak hours, buses crossing Runcorn bridge may be badly delayed by traffic congestion.

I don't know if the NR PTT still does it, but (on the paper book version) they did little maps for walking between selected adjacent-ish stations, e.g. Wigan, Maidstone, Farnborough, Dorking, Central Glasgow, Canterbury and Edenbridge. I can't find them on the NR website, but my search wasn't exactly exhaustive!

causton

Established Member
I don't know if the NR PTT still does it, but (on the paper book version) they did little maps for walking between selected adjacent-ish stations, e.g. Wigan, Maidstone, Farnborough, Dorking, Central Glasgow, Canterbury and Edenbridge. I can't find them on the NR website, but my search wasn't exactly exhaustive!

Is it these?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/maps/station_maps.html

:)

(some googling and clicking found that in under a minute, so no, not exhaustive at all if that WAS what you meant! :P )

Ivo

Established Member
What could anyone possibly need a map to get between North Western and Wallgate for? They're practically opposite each other!

Interesting also how their map does not use the main entrance at New Street. Although Burnley shows that the idea is to link all stations in the area, not just each individual pair, so this can be understood.

They also do not appear to be aware of Southend High Street, which cuts the time needed to get from Central to Victoria. Although, having said that, the road named "Bradley Way" hasn't been named as such for ages - I can't even remember it having the name Bradley Way! (Now Queensway)

Established Member
Warrington Bank Quay - Central can easily be done in 30 minutes, it's more like half that. Just follow the signs if there are any, you do go down quite a lot of side streets but that is the right way, towards the shopping centre.

causton

Established Member
Interesting also how their map does not use the main entrance at New Street. Although Burnley shows that the idea is to link all stations in the area, not just each individual pair, so this can be understood.

Indeed, definitely I would not use that exit to get to Moor Street - I would just go out the main entrance, up the steps, through the centre of the outdoor shopping area past the entrances to the Bullring and back down the other side to Moor Street :P

...some googling and clicking found that in under a minute, so no, not exhaustive at all if that WAS what you meant!

I always thought that NR was the universal abbreviation for Network Rail, as that's where the full PTT is. I've never used the National Rail website.

dvboy

Established Member
Indeed, definitely I would not use that exit to get to Moor Street - I would just go out the main entrance, up the steps, through the centre of the outdoor shopping area past the entrances to the Bullring and back down the other side to Moor Street :P

No steps needed to get to get from New St to Moor St. Cross the Queensway opposite the Bullring's side entrance (between Boots and Debenhams), and turn left to go under the Bullring, avoiding steps and dawdling shoppers.

WatcherZero

Established Member
What could anyone possibly need a map to get between North Western and Wallgate for? They're practically opposite each other!

Its weird with that other street shaded for no useful reason, also hopelessly out of date, the Police HQ is used as a landmark on the map but thats been closed for a decade!

Established Member
Cheers to those who have replied to the original question, has made planning a bit easier. Hopefully shouldn't get lost now!

VTPreston_Tez

Why has Wigan been included but more complicated interchanges (like Dorchester or Edenbridge) left out?

Dorchester is actually really easy, it's a short walk that after many times doing it, it seems like 200 or so metres. :P

Are there any other interchanges not yet mentioned, I believe there are a lot? Does Gainsborough deserve a mention?

Eagle

Established Member
Does anyone do an interchange at Yeovil now the bus link's been reinstated? Can't imagine it'd be much as very few journeys would require that interchange (as opposed to changing at Cary).

Pen Mill

Warrington Bank Quay - Central can easily be done in 30 minutes, it's more like half that. Just follow the signs if there are any, you do go down quite a lot of side streets but that is the right way, towards the shopping centre.
It's about 15 minutes at 3 mph if you're familiar with the route.

Can the OP give the bigger picture because there may be alternative rail links which are easier ?
EG ; I can't physically do the walk from WBQ to Central any more. As I'd almost certainly be travelling to Birchwood , if I was travelling from the South , I go Crewe-Man Picc Man Picc-Birchwood.
Another option from the South to make the link is via Liverpool Parkway.

Last edited:

Established Member
I don't think the number of people doing Gainsborough Central - Gainsborough Lea Road and vice versa is going to be that big. ;)

I was planning on doing a few months ago before I realised I had ample time to get to Retford and change there.

Status
Not open for further replies.