• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity Stock in Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

As I went past Cardiff Canton today c.15.50 there were some coaches in an Intercity livery. IRRC they were not in the Swallow design, it looked more blue.
When I went past c.21.40 they had been moved

Any ideas why they were there?

Thanks in advance

James

P.s. Wrong forum...can this be moved. Sorry :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are, I believe, several of the former Cargo-D mark 3s at Cardiff Canton at the moment, which carry the BR blue and grey livery, with Intercity branding of course, that the mark 3s (and pretty much everything else that wasn't just plain blue from the mid sixties to the mid eighties) originally carried. I'm not sure what their purpose in Cardiff is: They might have something to do with ATWs' WAG Express going over to mark 3 operation later this year.

MrJamesBrown

There are, I believe, several of the former Cargo-D mark 3s at Cardiff Canton at the moment, which carry the BR blue and grey livery, with Intercity branding of course, that the mark 3s (and pretty much everything else that wasn't just plain blue from the mid sixties to the mid eighties) originally carried. I'm not sure what their purpose in Cardiff is: They might have something to do with ATWs' WAG Express going over to mark 3 operation later this year.

Ahhh right, thankyou. I thought that this could be the case, I was just curious.

Wolfie

Established Member
As I went past Cardiff Canton today c.15.50 there were some coaches in an Intercity livery. IRRC they were not in the Swallow design, it looked more blue.
When I went past c.21.40 they had been moved

Any ideas why they were there?

Thanks in advance

James

P.s. Wrong forum...can this be moved. Sorry :)

Yep, saw those when I was travelling Paddington to Swansea on Saturday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are these the same stock that was previously hired by W&S while their own refurbishment programme took forever?

anthony263

Established Member
From what I have heard some of these MK3 carriages will be used on the WAG1 service from September and I belive one or two of them were hired to Wrexham & Shropshire

Rhydgaled

Established Member
All of the Mk3 carriages at Canton are First Class.

I get the feeling that they are more likely to be used for training than anything else, especially with the ex DRS rakes moving up to Wabtec Doncaster.

Given that they are first class, I doubt we'll be seeing them in regular use by ATW unless they are buffet vehicles and the two that are already in Gerald livery have something that prevents them being used in a 67+DVT push-pull train.

Status
Not open for further replies.