• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity West Coast in the 1990s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
Does anyone have any footage/clips of Intercity 86s, 87s, 90s or DVTs filmed in Atherstone during the 90s with Swallow Livery?

I have a DVD called 'Train in traction, the HST, DMU and Electrics' which has two clips of an Intercity HST at Atherstone but nothing else. Presumably the producers would have spent a few hours there so there must be other footage around somewhere.

Used to watch the trains there as a kid and wish to bring back those memories.

Also can anyone share their memories of the Mk3 Intercity West Coast Interiors? What colour were the seats? Were there many changes made when Virgin took them over?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
Some modern stuff on there but nothing from old times.

34D

Established Member
Some modern stuff on there but nothing from old times.

You're not looking hard enough. There's 80s stuff on there from a lot of major stations.

Seats were red dogger moquette - happy memories (hst rather than mark 3a for me though)

pt_mad

Established Member
You're not looking hard enough. There's 80s stuff on there from a lot of major stations.

Seats were red dogger moquette - happy memories (hst rather than mark 3a for me though)

A youtube search for Atherstone doesn't bring up any old stuff.

There probably is footage stuck in the midde of other stuff but having trouble finding it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think you're going to struggle to find footage from Atherstone, but as others have said if you broaden your search to include more major stations you should have some success on youtube.

The o/p request was so specific it was almost like that clip from little Brittain.

Interiors: I always liked the 3 red teardrop style stripes/cheverons at the end of mk3 intercity carriages. I always knew I was on a good train if it had these stripes.

Now correct me if I am wrong (i was only born in 83) but i'm sure I remember getting on the "Clansman" in Inverness, it was a mark 2 coach had a similar interior to a mark 3 but had a steel bordered toilet sign, (as oposed to a black plastic background on a mark 3). Also I remember a wooden interiored mk2 coach. Both coaches i'm talking about had fully closed windows, so they would have been mk2d/e/f. But my question is would the interior similar to the mk3 have been a mk2e/f and the wooden interior mk2d or would the mk3 style interior just have been a refurbished coach of any d/e or f?

34D

Established Member
The o/p request was so specific it was almost like that clip from little Brittain.

Interiors: I always liked the 3 red teardrop style stripes/cheverons at the end of mk3 intercity carriages. I always knew I was on a good train if it had these stripes.

Now correct me if I am wrong (i was only born in 83) but i'm sure I remember getting on the "Clansman" in Inverness, it was a mark 2 coach had a similar interior to a mark 3 but had a steel bordered toilet sign, (as oposed to a black plastic background on a mark 3). Also I remember a wooden interiored mk2 coach. Both coaches i'm talking about had fully closed windows, so they would have been mk2d/e/f. But my question is would the interior similar to the mk3 have been a mk2e/f and the wooden interior mk2d or would the mk3 style interior just have been a refurbished coach of any d/e or f?

Pirate memory games? Lol

Mk 2F's were refurbed in the late 80s with red dogger moquette and those three angled lines on the bulkhead.

Many Mk 2D and 2E retained their wooden-panelled interiors upto their withdrawal from cross country in 2001/2002.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmtFYpRBSc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT3Lo2n3SD4&feature=related should be your sort of thing

pt_mad

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.