• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting: Bristol - London electric trains.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Could make some useful extra platforms. Though it sounds as if it's more the Council's, or the Homes and Communities Agency (some new Quango i've never heard of before?),'s idea than NR's.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
the Homes and Communities Agency (some new Quango i've never heard of before?)

Relatively new agency which includes the elements of what was the Housing Corporation, English Partnerships and the Department of Communities and Local Government which were focused on investment and regeneration. Rather than the more regulatory aspects which went to the Tenant Services Authority.

LE Greys

Established Member
Does this not mean an awkward crossing move at Dr Day's Junction (who the heck was he?) to get to the platforms? Or is there an option to sort that out?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is NR's idea, and it's been around a while, it requires Bristol panel demolition, which is slated for 2015, and I think the basic idea is to extend platform 1. Here's an earlier local report:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/New-...eads-station/story-13861757-detail/story.html

It's also mentioned in last November's Modern Railways. I think it's just the decision about the museum contents that is the new key aspect to this BBC story.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Does this not mean an awkward crossing move at Dr Day's Junction (who the heck was he?) to get to the platforms? Or is there an option to sort that out?

Sorting out Dr Days Jn is one of three major items to increase Bristol Area capacity as recommended in the GWML RUS, where the options are explained in detail, and it is included in the CP5 enhancement proposals.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I would hope that Dr Days is improved if this very promising scheme is implemented. At present the HSTs (via Bath) and XCs (via Parkway) leave simultaneously; this would have to change if the old station area is to be used (could coincide with the 4tph service). It would certainly making electrifying the station easier, and as Schnellzug says would provided extra capacity which will certainly help as the station grows in importance.

Waddon

If they do reinstall the old train shed, it might make the station a bit more difficult to move around... where would the entrance/ticket barriers be installed for instance? The booking hall is very historic but much too small for it's current use.

Also there is quite a big pedestrian flow across what would be the throat of those platforms, with pedestrians heading to all the new canalside development areas, so some sort of bridge or underpass may be necessary.

Personally, instead of reinstating platforms I think it would be good to sympathetically turn the old train shed into a huge new station booking hall, maybe extend the existing subway between the platforms under the forecourt and then up stairs into this new booking hall... but anyway I'm not in charge, so just a crazy idea..

Ivo

Established Member
Here's a thought. If IEPs terminated in the train shed, would BRI then become a +15 for connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.