• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting jorneys from Zurich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battersea

I'll have a free day in Zurich on Sunday, June 3.

I've heard lots of people say there isn't too much to do in the city (which is probably not true at all) and I want to get out and see the country.

Given that I like trains, does anyone know of any interesting day trips to either an historic site or along a line with good scenery?

Thanks for your help.

Battersea

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My personal preference would be to go to Bern, which I found quite interesting when I visited, or take a ride down to Chur, and possibly one of the Rhaetian Bahn narrow gauge lines.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I've heard lots of people say there isn't too much to do in the city (which is probably not true at all)

This is not true. Zürich is the largest city in Switzerland and in my experience has everything you would expect from this. However, if you want to see the stunning mountain scenery which Switzerland is famous for, then Zürich is obviously not your best bet.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I'd get the first train to germany ;)

But seriously, Zurich is nice if rather expensive. Aside from trips to nice railway lines, most other places in Switzerland are even more boring than Zurich is supposed to be

JGR

Bern is a bit of a trek, but worth going. If nothing else, Aarau is fairly close and a nice place to visit.

Squaddie

Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus is an easy day-trip from Zurich. Take the train to Lucerne (very comfortable double-deck trains on this route) and buy a Mt. Pilatus round-trip ticket which allows you to take a bus to Kriens, then a chairlift and cable car to the top, cog railway down the other side to Alpnachstad and then back to Lucerne by train or lake steamer. (Or vice versa).

Great views and walks at the top of Mt. Pilatus.

The train fare from Zurich to Lucerne is about Sfr 30 (£20) each way (I think) and the Pilatus round-trip ticket from Lucerne and back to Lucerne is about SFr 100 (£67).

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/

Status
Not open for further replies.