• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting Motorway services

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymothian

Gordano services can be walked to, which I've done to stay at the Days Inn.

The first services were built over the road for the view, because motorways were so new, people used to like dining whilst watching the traffic, they became tourist attractions in a way, which is why they are not allowed to destinations in their own right.

Furthermore, to permit a service area, or similar site, to become a destination for local customers would be contrary to government planning policy on retail and town centres as set out in Planning Policy Statement 6: Planning for Town Centres.1 The consequence of this would be to threaten the viability of businesses in cities, towns or other local
centres.
DfT 2008 Policy on service areas etc

However

Trading will not be permitted on bridges connecting two sides of an MSA or MRA.
DfT 2008 Policy on service areas etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rf_ioliver

I'll never forget visiting my Auntie in Wales and stopping off at the service station on the M4 with impressive views over the (old) Severn Bridge. The route is no longer the M4 (since the new Severn bridge was built) but I believe the service station building is still there, albeit no longer a service station.

Aust services...famous as the place to turn around and head back over the Severn Bridge just to say you visited England :) Ah...the fun of being a teenager with a car...

AFAIR the services are still there but the road is now the M48.

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Severn_View

t.

Ian

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Markham Moor services on the A1 (close enough to being a motorway) are/were interesting architecturally.
250px-Sam_Scorer,_Little_Chef_-_Geograph_-_173949.jpg

Haven't been on that road for a while, so not sure if it still exists.

https://thebeautyoftransport.wordpr...-filling-station-little-chef-nottinghamshire/

It's still there, closed but I believe now listed.

Interestingly (and not a lot of people know this) the parabolic building wasn't built as a restaurant but as a petrol station canopy. It was subsequently filled in to make a restaurant.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the famous Watford Gap services - 1st service area in the country to open. It was originally operated by Blue Boar (who also operated Rothersthorpe (Northampton) and Annandale) bfore they sold out to Roadchef.

Newport Pagnell's also an interesting one. The motel is located on the northbound side but there is also official access to a separate car park serving it from Little Linford Lane. This is so that southbound users can access the motel but there's also nothing to stop non-motorway traffic from using this car park and walking over to the services. There's no way of accessing the northbound carriageway from this car park though.

snowball

Established Member
A notable feature of Burtonwood used to be that, before its access arrangements were changed when the new junction 8 was built next to it, there was a steady flow of vehicles improperly using it to join or leave the motorway via its supposedly private back entrance - a vehicle every few seconds.

causton

Established Member

Crossover

Established Member
It avoids duplicating facilities on both sides of the road. There are ones where the slip road crosses the road to avoid duplicating facilities, like London Gateway (formerly Scratchwood) on the M1 and the new Cobham services on the M25. Alternatively some of the newer ones are built just off the motorway such as Cherwell Valley and Beaconsfield on the M40.

London Gateway is interesting too, as it uses an unbuilt junction off the M1.

I believe there's one on the M1 with a restaurant on the bridge over the motorway (which I must admit, I consider rather groovy !)

Leicester services are due to close soon as the motorway is being widened. That is the problem with bridge services

Yeah, it is Leicester Forest East. The closure has been in the pipeline for some time, to expand to 4 lanes. They still keep getting refurbishments though (last time I was there last summer it was the toilets that were getting done) so it can't be too imminent

How many motorway services are there that can actually be walked to on foot?

I'm thinking of when I stayed at the Premier Inn South Mimms, 5 minute walk and you go past a small service station that seems more designed for trucks and the like, then a few minutes later you're at the big Welcome Break services.

Of course, unless you're driving to that particular Premier Inn in the first place it isn't the most accessible! Used to get a taxi from either Potters Bar or High Barnet with it being a lot cheaper than a central London hotel but now prefer Stevenage with the hotels there walking distance from a regular 20 minute train to London!

Technically probably the majority, since most will have access roads - just not all of them will allow access with a vehicle by non employees though

As far as I'm aware there have only ever been five service areas with catering facilities in the bridge over the motorway, and I think they all still have some version of them: Leicester Forest East on the M1, Medway (formerly known as Farthing Corner) on the M2, and three on the M6: Keele, Knutsford and Charnock Richard. I've used them all except Meday.

Had forgotten about Charnock and Keele, though I have only visited once or twice when I worked in a support role for the operator. I don't recall what food outlets were on the Keele brodge, as I recall the restaurant (Eat In) on the southbound was next to the hard shoulder, but some of the offices were on the bridge, oddly!

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the famous Watford Gap services - 1st service area in the country to open. It was originally operated by Blue Boar (who also operated Rothersthorpe (Northampton) and Annandale) bfore they sold out to Roadchef.

Newport Pagnell's also an interesting one. The motel is located on the northbound side but there is also official access to a separate car park serving it from Little Linford Lane. This is so that southbound users can access the motel but there's also nothing to stop non-motorway traffic from using this car park and walking over to the services. There's no way of accessing the northbound carriageway from this car park though.

Newport Pagnell has access from Little Linford Lane to both services. They're barriered but I believe hotel staff will let people through to/from the hotel. I believe the access roads have been used on occasion to release trapped traffic from the M1 when there have been incidents. It was also the location (southbound) where a coach "fell over" a few years ago on the slip road

snowball

Established Member
Had forgotten about Charnock and Keele, though I have only visited once or twice when I worked in a support role for the operator. I don't recall what food outlets were on the Keele brodge, as I recall the restaurant (Eat In) on the southbound was next to the hard shoulder, but some of the offices were on the bridge, oddly!

In the early days of service areas, eating places within them didn't have brand names, but there would often be two or three in one service area, such as a restaurant and a self-service cafe.

Crossover

Established Member
In the early days of service areas, eating places within them didn't have brand names, but there would often be two or three in one service area, such as a restaurant and a self-service cafe.

Ah this was a bit more recent than that - circa 2010

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Same as Northampton services (Junction 15a)

As constructed, Rothersthorpe was an "online" services in between junctions, but there was so much traffic using the MSA via the rear entrance to reach the A43 that eventually a junction (15A) was constructed to allow this to be done legitimately.

From http://www.motorwayservices.info/northampton_services_m1/history

Actually this isn't quite correct.

Rothersthorpe was an 'on-line' MSA when it opened which had a rear entrances to Banbury Lane (same road that the WCML level crossing was on!) but in my experience (I used to live a couple of miles away) it was always gated.

The new junction and access arrangements happened around 1988 or 1989 when the A43 Blisworth and Milton Malsor bypass opened. It was nothing to do with mis-use of access to the MSA.

snowball

Established Member
The new junction and access arrangements happened around 1988 or 1989 when the A43 Blisworth and Milton Malsor bypass opened. It was nothing to do with mis-use of access to the MSA.

And, to add some railway relevance in this railway forum, the bypass, though generally dual carriageway, originally reduced to single carriageway inside its junction with the M1, so as to fit under a bridge originally built for the Blisworth-Northampton railway. (I don't know the line's proper name, others here no doubt will.) Later the road was dualled there, and a new bridge was pipe-jacked under the M1 for the second carriageway.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Doncaster north is interesting, as its build about a mile north of a 'plot' for some services on the M18. If you look here (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x48791af27efa0e9b:0xf5b5e4dbdb56da5d?hl=en) you can see the hexagonal plot planned to have services built on it, and the 'stubs' of the slip road. If you go north from here, you see the join betwene the M18 and the M180 where the services actually are :D

snowball

Established Member
Doncaster north is interesting, as its build about a mile north of a 'plot' for some services on the M18.

That's a similar situation to one recently discussed on SABRE. The M62 as originally built included approach tapers and a footbridge for a services site at Hensall near Eggborough (and near Great and Little Heck where a Land Rover came off the M62 onto the ECML and caused a rail crash). It was never built because one was built instead at the A1/M62 junction at Ferrybridge on the prompting of Granada. The footbridge was later demolished.

Status
Not open for further replies.