• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting s&c sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

While waiting for my bus home at 11:40 this morning I spotted quite a sight.

A freightliner 57 hauled 4 VT DVTS, 1 VT Mk3 carriage and 1 "one" MK3 carriage, travelling in the up direction.

My idea is that these were heading towards East Anglia to be operated by One. Does anyone have any more precise information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cotswold Rail's 47813 with 5Z53 Longtown to Wembley. I'm guessing it was this train unless there was two stock movements via the S&C today.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm guessing it ran via the ECML, as it's nearer, or did it run via the Ribble Valley & the WCML?

Ian

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
While waiting for my bus home at 11:40 this morning I spotted quite a sight.

A freightliner 57 hauled 4 VT DVTS, 1 VT Mk3 carriage and 1 "one" MK3 carriage, travelling in the up direction.

My idea is that these were heading towards East Anglia to be operated by One. Does anyone have any more precise information?
Wrong.

'one' are continuing to use DBSOs for the forseeable future, as the use of DVTs would cause a loss of seats. The maximum line speed on the Norwich-Liverpool line is 100mph, so there is no requirement for faster vehicles.

At one point it was suggested that the DVTs could have the kitchen/buffet car fitted but that would cause 1st Class to be at the wrong (country) end of the train, and also cause Standard class passengers to have to walk through FC to get to it.

Forget DVTs, the DBSOs are here to stay! (this is old news, BTW!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One recently went back on their decision, due to the fact that the DBSOs are in an awful state, and have made up for the fewer number of seats by moving the existing seats together, plus adding the thinner seats at the end of the coaches in, not forgetting Mk3s are longer.

9710 went on the scrap road at Norwich Crown Point recently.

Aslef members are to refuse to take out DBSOs in 2006 as well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
One recently went back on their decision, due to the fact that the DBSOs are in an awful state, and have made up for the fewer number of seats by moving the existing seats together, plus adding the thinner seats at the end of the coaches in, not forgetting Mk3s are longer.

9710 went on the scrap road at Norwich Crown Point recently.

Aslef members are to refuse to take out DBSOs in 2006 as well.
But I thought the fact the Mk3s were longer caused the train to actually be shorter (due to the platforms being not long enough, or have they solved that issue somehow?). Does this mean FC will be at the country end or will the locos switch to being at the country end (I heard this doesn't suit Crown Point for some reason?)

What do you mean by "moving the existing seats together", do you mean reducing legroom? Ah yes, as the population gets taller we must ... err.. what's the logic again? :roll:

Z12XE

I believe you can have the same load + DVT and not loose seats.
They have re-configured the Standard Class carriages slightly and added in the thin seats.

http://tinypic.com/b8vd39.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b8vd50.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b8vcy1.jpg

The sets wont be turned so 1st will still be at the London end, although the way the Norwich passengers are about walking I'm suprised that all services dont have to go around the Manningtree triangle so the 1st class passengers dont have to walk at either end. :roll:

The real reason for having the loco at the London end is to allow an easy loco change at Norwich. And to be the correct way around for the depot

One have promised to get rid the DBSOs by the end of the year, and drivers are prepared to boycot DBSO sets as of Jan 1st for this reason

evil_hippo

voyagerdude220 said:
I'm guessing it ran via the ECML, as it's nearer, or did it run via the Ribble Valley & the WCML?

Let's see, as I live on the s&c it's pretty fair to say that the place I was waiting for my bus was next to that line and not the ecml.

Besides, if you want to reach the east from Glasgow, the s&c is far more direct than the ecml.

Tomnick

Established Member
Methinks that question referred to the route south of Hellifield - and a reasonable question it is too.

ChristopherJ

one problem (no pun intended!) with DVTs on the GE at the moment is that there is very tight clearance for them though Seven Kings, there's a 20mph restriction for DVTs though the station and apparently they're going to make it a PSR if they cannot resolve the problem, apparently every time a DVT goes though the station it takes a bit of the platform with it. :lol:

I asked about this a few weeks ago on another forum - see http://gedrivers.co.uk/index.php?page=read&post=354

voyagerdude220

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
voyagerdude220 said:

Let's see, as I live on the s&c it's pretty fair to say that the place I was waiting for my bus was next to that line and not the ecml.

Besides, if you want to reach the east from Glasgow, the s&c is far more direct than the ecml.

What I meant, is did it go via the S&C, and then via the ECML, or did it go via the S&C, and then go via the Ribble Valley, the WCML and onwards that way?

You didn't have to reply to my question like that though- trying to make me look stupid :x :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
What I meant, is did it go via the S&C, and then via the ECML, or did it go via the S&C, and then go via the Ribble Valley, the WCML and onwards that way?

You didn't have to reply to my question like that though- trying to make me look stupid :x :(
Yes, we know what you meant, but I don't think anyone has the answer.

If heading towards Crown Point then surely they'd have gone ECML, but we don't know if they were.

I am sorry that the evil hippo appeared rude - he did not mean any harm and just mis-understood, it happens to him ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
yorkie said:
voyagerdude220 said:

Yes, we know what you meant, but I don't think anyone has the answer.

If heading towards Crown Point then surely they'd have gone ECML, but we don't know if they were.

I am sorry that the evil hippo appeared rude - he did not mean any harm and just mis-understood, it happens to him ;)

Thanks for your reply Yorkie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.