• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting Train Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverendFozz

Just been thinkiny about the times I have spent travelling up and down the East Coast in the late 90's-early 2000's, and thr interestint experiences and laughs I have had on the railways it mostly centred around the Smokers Carriage

1. Coming back from Kings Cross, there was a group on who were on there way to Edinburgh, they were performers, gave us an impromptu performance, they sang and told jokes

2. Again from Kings Cross during the 6 Nations, a load of Scots and English fans going up to Murrayfield for a Calcutta Cup Game, we organised a quiz, England v Scotland, with teams being all English or Scottish

3. Coming home from Sheffield, a group of Wednesday Fans were on there way to Newcastle, a few of us Sunderland fans had a drink with them, a sing off and swapped merchandise

4. Going down to Manchester Airport in 2005, I was watching a film on my laptop, a nice old couple got on at Darlington, the old boy said to me 'that is a nice dvd player' as I was watching a film, he had never seen a laptop before and surprised him further when I later connected to the Internet, my mobile at the time also doubled as a dial up modem and proceeded to let him have a quick crash course in the internet and let him have a little go as he had only seen his son do it on a PC in the past and genuinely did not know what a laptop was.

Any other interesting tales from you guys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Badger

We regularly get a massive haul of cosplayers at Wolverhampton station, getting a train to either Manchester or Liverpool, I forget which. Something on Platform 1 anyway. Ninjas, Final Fantasy characters, that sort of thing.

I think the most interesting actual journey was the first trip on the WSMR; mainly because the first class coach was actually standard so we had tons of brummies amazed at the interior and such. There was something quite homely about the interior of the WSMR first class... anyway, it got the whole coach talking to one another, something that rarely happens. Was a pleasant trip!

Edit: ah, before their refurbishment...

ReverendFozz

Badger:845694 said:
We regularly get a massive haul of cosplayers at Wolverhampton station, getting a train to either Manchester or Liverpool, I forget which. Something on Platform 1 anyway. Ninjas, Final Fantasy characters, that sort of thing.

I think the most interesting actual journey was the first trip on the WSMR; mainly because the first class coach was actually standard so we had tons of brummies amazed at the interior and such. There was something quite homely about the interior of the WSMR first class... anyway, it got the whole coach talking to one another, something that rarely happens. Was a pleasant trip!

Edit: ah, before their refurbishment...

Whenever I am public transport I always make an effort to be friendly and have a bit banter because I hate ignorance

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Favourite ECML experience was during a spell of commuting York - London. First class naturally.

One Friday morning, boarding the quiet coach on the 0800 off York there was a group of boisterous (girlsterous?) Geordie lasses at a 4 seat bay at one end of the coach evidently on the way to a London shopping / drinking trip. The bottle of wine gave it away. Anyway I sat in the middle of the coach, whilst across the aisle was a lady who managed to sleep through the lasses loud conversation, chinking glasses and regular outbursts of tremendous laughter.

Just through Finsbury Park, the bloke sitting one bay in front has his phone go off with one beep. He answers in a whisper "I'll be there in 10 minutes, got to go".

Sleepy woman wakes up, gets out of seat, steps forward and screams at him "EXCUSE ME, THIS IS THE QUIET COACH!!!!!"

Priceless.

ReverendFozz

Bald Rick:846121 said:
Favourite ECML experience was during a spell of commuting York - London. First class naturally.

One Friday morning, boarding the quiet coach on the 0800 off York there was a group of boisterous (girlsterous?) Geordie lasses at a 4 seat bay at one end of the coach evidently on the way to a London shopping / drinking trip. The bottle of wine gave it away. Anyway I sat in the middle of the coach, whilst across the aisle was a lady who managed to sleep through the lasses loud conversation, chinking glasses and regular outbursts of tremendous laughter.

Just through Finsbury Park, the bloke sitting one bay in front has his phone go off with one beep. He answers in a whisper "I'll be there in 10 minutes, got to go".

Sleepy woman wakes up, gets out of seat, steps forward and screams at him "EXCUSE ME, THIS IS THE QUIET COACH!!!!!"

Priceless.

Definately funny that one lol

Crossover

Established Member
Had an interesting journey just yesterday actually - I was on a Class 185 which was pretty well loaded and so took up residence in the bit between the (back) cab and First Class. That too was busy so was stood.

On departing, it turned out that three of the people in the carriage were doing this years' Jailbreak - it got the few of us in that part of the carriage chatting. With them they had a guitar which one of the other lads in the coach could play. Cue a good 30 mins of guitar playing and singing along (not by me, I will add, as I can't sing to save my life!) - it was pretty surreal but made the time pass much quicker and will be a journey I will no doubt remember for some time to come. Not sure what the people in FC thought though as there were a few glancing looks (not that any of us were particularly loud)! Managed to record a few odd bits of it too

Last edited:

dcd

The journey I remember was during one of my first to ALR's either 1968 or 1969. In those days I could not afford sleepers so slept on stations or on the odd overnight trains that ran then. I went to sleep laid out on a long compartment seat on a train going to London. When I woke up I found that it was in the commuter zone and the opposite seat was packed and people were standing but no-one had woken me up to ask to share the seat. I can see that happening these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.