• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internal doors - FCC 317/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Do all trains have to have at least one internal door for fire safety?

If so, FCC is running a train that has both sets of internal doors missing by the toilets (in the middle) on one of its sets. Totally missing, not just wedged open.

It certainly makes it easier to walk through (as I did) but also makes it pretty noisy in both coaches nearest the open section.

I made a mental note of the unit (317 342 I think) but having been out and had a drink or two, I can't be sure it definitely was to report it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I doubt it, given that the 378s and S Stock are 100% door free internally ( apart from the cab doors )?

jon0844

Veteran Member
But they're a lot newer and trains with open gangways might need to use different materials to comply with regulations?

Class377/5

Established Member
Do all trains have to have at least one internal door for fire safety?

If so, FCC is running a train that has both sets of internal doors missing by the toilets (in the middle) on one of its sets. Totally missing, not just wedged open.

It certainly makes it easier to walk through (as I did) but also makes it pretty noisy in both coaches nearest the open section.

I made a mental note of the unit (317 342 I think) but having been out and had a drink or two, I can't be sure it definitely was to report it.

No they don't need to relly. Likely they were faultly so were removed to allow service to run. Better than a cancellation.

Established Member
I've noticed that on 317346, one of the doors won't close properly and always swings open when the train picks up speed, which is annoying. I've also noticed that an increasing number of Ilford 317s have some or all internal doors missing.

BestWestern

Established Member
There are some FGW 150's which have the same problems. Doors which are knackered are an obvious annoyance, but I'd also suggest the ones which stick or jam are a safety issue in an emergency. It's draughty and loud without them, but sometimes that's preferable!

Interesting to see what they come up with when the 150's, 319's etc undergo their various major rebuid programmes, surely these doors will have to go?!

Established Member
There are some FGW 150's which have the same problems. Doors which are Knackered are an obvious annoyance, but I'd also suggest the ones which stick or jam are a safety issue in an emergency. It's draughty and loud without them, but sometimes that's preferable!

Interesting to see what they come up with when the 150's, 319's etc undergo their various major rebuid programmes, surely these doors will have to go?!

The 317/7s were fitted with power internal doors which swung outwards, but most of the time they didn't work and were just left open.

Aictos

Established Member
Here's a question for the Scottish members, wasn't there work carried out at some point to remove these internal doors on the Class 156s?

SprinterMan

Established Member
The 317/7s were fitted with power internal doors which swung outwards, but most of the time they didn't work and were just left open.

Yepp, although I have encountered some that were (really usefully) stuck closed also. When they did work, they tended to hit the passenger in the seat next to them with quite some force when they opened. They were utterly useless tbh.
Adam :D

michael769

Established Member
Here's a question for the Scottish members, wasn't there work carried out at some point to remove these internal doors on the Class 156s?

Most of the 156s have no internal doors. But I have been on a few that do, some are originals and at least one has replacement perspex doors.

The 156s do have external doors at the carriage gangways so it is certainly possible to isolate one carriage from another though.

Most of the 156s have no internal doors. But I have been on a few that do, some are originals and at least one has replacement perspex doors.

The 156s do have external doors at the carriage gangways so it is certainly possible to isolate one carriage from another though.

New internal sliding doors are being fitted to all 46 units at FSR. They are a new design and can be 'broken' in an emergency evacuation.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I think the internal doors arent fire protection, they exist to minimise heat loss from the opening of the external doors.

michael769

Established Member
New internal sliding doors are being fitted to all 46 units at FSR. They are a new design and can be 'broken' in an emergency evacuation.

Funnily enough I realised this morning that I have been seeing the new doors all this week.

It is a pretty pointless waste of money because as with the original sliding doors they are left open all the time. The only time the close is when the slide over of their own accord, usually in someone's face.

You would think Scotrail would prefer to spend its budget on something that has an actual real benefit to passengers.

Funnily enough I realised this morning that I have been seeing the new doors all this week.

It is a pretty pointless waste of money because as with the original sliding doors they are left open all the time. The only time the close is when the slide over of their own accord, usually in someone's face.

You would think Scotrail would prefer to spend its budget on something that has an actual real benefit to passengers.

I think they had an unusual large amount of complaints from sets operating the West Highland line - the coach can get very drafty and very cold very quickly.

Also, FSR arn't paying for it! The vehicle owners requested they were refitted as part of the 156 fleet update.

Status
Not open for further replies.