• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International rail coupons on stena ferry to Hoek of Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

slammerTel

Sorry if this question has been answered before but how do you use an international rail coupon on the ferry from Harwich to the Hoek.

If I'm right I believe you need to book a cabin for the overnight crossing. Would anyone know the current cost as when i look on the stena line website it always includes the cost of the travel + the cabin price.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I phone Stena and book a cabin that way. You will need to explain you are rail staff travelling on a coupon. You will also need to pay port tax of £5 each way. Be aware this is quota driven so book as soon as you know your dates once travel restrictions permit in both countries. An inside cabin (perfectly adequate) was £34 last time I was allowed out 12 months ago, and of course you have this to yourself, there is no sharing. Once you’ve got both cabin and tax booked just date your coupon and off you go.

Last edited:

slammerTel

I phone Stena and book a cabin that way. You will need to explain you are rail staff travelling on a coupon. You will also need to pay port tax of £5 each way. Be aware this is quota driven so book as soon as you know your dates once travel restrictions permit in both countries. An inside cabin (perfectly adequate) was £34 last time I was allowed out 12 months ago, and of course you have this to yourself, there is no sharing. Once you’ve got both cabin and tax booked just date your coupon and off you go.
That's great 306024. Thanks for that info.

Established Member
Welcome. Should just add you'll need to use the Rotterdam metro from the Hook to Schiedam to get onto the Dutch rail network. There are ticket machines on the platform at the Hook but you could easily miss a train waiting for others to work out how to use them. I bought an ov-chipkaart like any Dutch citizen would use so don’t have to worry about that in future. Not sure what they sell on the ship now, you used to be able to buy a rail ticket to Amsterdam but you won’t want that.

slammerTel

Welcome. Should just add you'll need to use the Rotterdam metro from the Hook to Schiedam to get onto the Dutch rail network. There are ticket machines on the platform at the Hook but you could easily miss a train waiting for others to work out how to use them. I bought an ov-chipkaart like any Dutch citizen would use so don’t have to worry about that in future. Not sure what they sell on the ship now, you used to be able to buy a rail ticket to Amsterdam but you won’t want that.
Yes. I see the line from Hoek to Schiedam/Rotterdam is now a part of the Rotterdam metro. I believe it's €4 single so that's pretty straight forward. I've also read up about the ov-chipkaart but I think I won't need that if I use the rail coupons on NS. I also believe RSTL provide you with a barcode ticket along with your coupons for use at the platform gates

jamesontheroad

Established Member

If you have an Android or iOS smartphone, you can also download the RET Barcode app, and buy your ticket in advance. You don't need to be a resident of the Netherlands and a UK credit card worked for me.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ret.retbarcode&hl=en&gl=US
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ret-barcode/id1394028447

Status
Not open for further replies.