• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International train journey and rolling stock reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianhr

It is worth checking out a youtube channel "simply railway". He is an engineer who works for Alsthom who loves rail travel and posts very professionally made but charming and uncommercial videos. He has covered the Cornish and Caledonian sleepers too. Interesting to see and hear impressions of UK trains through the eyes of a foreigner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Agreed. Found him a few weeks ago and his back catalogue - plus weekly videos from last summer’s travels - have been a source of entertainment and comfort in this period without travel.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nice videos with interesting captions.
It all seems very mature until you realise he's carrying a skateboard!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yeah I was surprised by the skateboard too, when it showed up in one of the videos. Why it surprised me so much I've no idea.

I somehow found this channel on YouTube too recently, and I've watched quite a few of his videos now. Especially handy if I've got the window open, with no commentary to listen to, as I don't have to shut the window to watch the video.

Certainly I've got several ideas for adventures now, like Sofia to Bucharest. The journey through the Balkans looks amazing!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It all seems very mature until you realise he's carrying a skateboard!
Yeah I was surprised by the skateboard too, when it showed up in one of the videos. Why it surprised me so much I've no idea.

Your reactions remind me of the first season of the nineties/noughties sitcom Spaced, in which Tim has to constantly explain to people that a skateboard is a perfectly legitimate means of transport for a grown man.

In all seriousness, this channel was one of the reasons I invested in a gimbal for my iPhone. The combination of a skateboard and a hand held gimbal makes for buttery smooth filming ona budget.:D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, I found this guy recently too. Very good videos that have helped given me my 'fix' during the recent enforced hiatus from actual trains.

Alfonso

I'm enjoying them, too, but a question for the RF community. In the Thello Paris to Italy video he complains the bunk is very narrow. It looks to me like he hasn't moved the backrest up out of the way?

ianhr

I'm enjoying them, too, but a question for the RF community. In the Thello Paris to Italy video he complains the bunk is very narrow. It looks to me like he hasn't moved the backrest up out of the way?
I would let him know, he welcomes comments, suggestions and discussion. Maybe we should ask him if he is aware of our forum

superalbs

Established Member
For me, in a private berth, I found the berth to be exceptionally wide! :)

Maybe it's different in a couchette though.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yes he's brilliant. Noel Phillips and Paul Lucas occasionally do some excellent rail videos also, though flights are their primary audience.

Memma

Absolutely brilliant - I love watching him! I found this site the other day - TrainReview - they've got a lot of articles about train travel all around the world if you're interested!

TFN

In addition to Simply Railway, I've also enjoyed Dylan's Trip Reports which are somehow similar but definitely has assisted in subduing my withdrawal symptoms from not travelling on trains for 4 months.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In addition to Simply Railway, I've also enjoyed Dylan's Trip Reports which are somehow similar but definitely has assisted in subduing my withdrawal symptoms from not travelling on trains for 4 months.

Yeah I found his reports too. Certainly similar reports, but also enjoyable :) I've not watched as many of them yet, but they've been well made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.