• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International travel for the unvaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimini

Established Member
Rather than clutter up the restrictions thread currently running, I thought I'd keep this separate. The other half and five of her friends are trying to organise a long weekend abroad probably towards the end of April; only thing is that one of the group is unvaccinated.

Aside from Italy and Portugal (I believe), where else in mainland Europe has dropped all vaccination requirements, any ideas folks?

Cheers ~ Jim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Romania, Slovenia, Hungary, Norway and possibly Lithuania to avoid paying for an expensive test.
There are currently no requirements to enter Norway:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is a distinction to be made between countries that allow entry for unvaccinated travellers with restrictions (e.g. presenting a negative lateral flow/PCR test on arrival), and those that allow it without any restrictions.

This map from Sherpa gives a reasonable summary:

1647869595440.png

So in terms of European countries, Ireland, Romania, Hungary, Slovenia, Norway, Iceland and Lithuania have no travel restrictions for the unvaccinated. Germany, Denmark, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Moldova, Greece, Albania, Belarus, Latvia, Croatia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Serbia and Kosovo allow entry, but require a test. Poland and Estonia allow entry but require quarantine, so are realistically out of the question.

Both Sherpa and the Reopen.EU site give exact details of the restrictions applying in each country.

Then there are also domestic 'Covid passport' requirements, to use restaurants, public transport etc., in various countries. These aren't always the same as the entry requirements. But in most cases it is possible to take a lateral flow test every day or second day to get a Covid pass, although this may be chargeable.

rvdborgt

Rules will change on 23 March:
Although it looks like there will still be some paperwork required when coming from the UK. Maybe it's better to check when they've completely updated the website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Rules will change on 23 March:
Although it looks like there will still be some paperwork required when coming from the UK. Maybe it's better to check when they've completely updated the website.
Looks like the requirement to show a negative test will be removed - but for non-EU citizens, still a requirement to show proof of vaccination or recovery. So unvaccinated passengers will still be barred.

Citybreak1

I like Dublin very nice city but only Norway is quite close it looks a nice city not sure if Oslo is worth a visit? I was hoping there would be more choice so I can take a train and get round the restrictions.

Holland seems confusing they will now allow you in unvaccinated without a test but still way essential reasons to travel?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
The requirements for the Netherlands are confusing me, what will the situation be for the fully vaxxed next month?
Their governments site currently says there are still stringent restrictions.
If you are neither EU citizen not resident, you'll still be able to enter if fully vaccinated.

Cdd89

Established Member
I see Hong Kong and New Zealand are still on the Netherlands’ list of "safe countries". What a joke.

LAX54

Established Member
Looks like the requirement to show a negative test will be removed - but for non-EU citizens, still a requirement to show proof of vaccination or recovery. So unvaccinated passengers will still be barred.
Think coming from the UK you will still need a negative test 24 hrs before you travel (as well as the NHS cert) as we are still High Risk !

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Think coming from the UK you will still need a negative test 24 hrs before you travel (as well as the NHS cert) as we are still High Risk !
No, that's been scrapped as part of the 'easing' that was announced on 15 March. FCDO 'entry restrictions' page currently advises:
From 23 March all travellers from the UK to the Netherlands will not require a negative pre-departure test for travel to the Netherlands, regardless of their vaccination status.

LAX54

Established Member
No, that's been scrapped as part of the 'easing' that was announced on 15 March. FCDO 'entry restrictions' page currently advises:
  • Travelling to the Netherlands

• As of 23 March, travellers to the Netherlands coming from within the EU or the Schengen area will no longer require a test, proof of recovery or proof of vaccination.
  • Travellers must still complete a health declaration.
  • Travellers coming from outside the EU or the Schengen area​

• Non-EU nationals remain subject to an EU entry ban. Exemptions apply in several cases, however, such as for people travelling from ‘safe’ countries, travellers with a proof of vaccination and people travelling for certain purposes.

Safe countries​

If you are travelling from a non-EU/Schengen area where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low (a safe country), you may travel to the Netherlands. The EU entry ban does not apply to you.

You always need to show a negative test result if you are travelling from a safe country outside the EU/Schengen area.

danm14

Am I reading this new Dutch policy correctly?
  • British citizens are free to travel from the UK to the Netherlands regardless of vaccination status, provided they further increase their risk of having Covid-19 by first flying to Dublin and changing aeroplane there.
  • British citizens can only travel from the UK to the Netherlands directly if they are fully vaccinated (including a booster if their second dose was more than 270 days ago).
  • EU citizens are free to travel from the UK to the Netherlands directly regardless of vaccination status.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
  • Travelling to the Netherlands

• As of 23 March, travellers to the Netherlands coming from within the EU or the Schengen area will no longer require a test, proof of recovery or proof of vaccination.
  • Travellers coming from outside the EU or the Schengen area​

• Non-EU nationals remain subject to an EU entry ban. Exemptions apply in several cases, however, such as for people travelling from ‘safe’ countries, travellers with a proof of vaccination and people travelling for certain purposes.

Safe countries​

If you are travelling from a non-EU/Schengen area where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low (a safe country), you may travel to the Netherlands. The EU entry ban does not apply to you.

You always need to show a negative test result if you are travelling from a safe country outside the EU/Schengen area.

The section under "safe countries" which you quote is out of date from tomorrow - see the part highlighted below in the NL Government announcement which you quoted:

Travelling to the Netherlands

Travellers coming from within the EU or the Schengen area​

Travellers coming from outside the EU or the Schengen area​

• The rules will also be lifted for nationals of EU countries travelling to the Netherlands from countries outside the EU and the Schengen area.
  • The test requirement will be lifted.

Am I reading this new Dutch policy correctly?
  • British citizens are free to travel from the UK to the Netherlands regardless of vaccination status, provided they further increase their risk of having Covid-19 by first flying to Dublin and changing aeroplane there.
  • British citizens can only travel from the UK to the Netherlands directly if they are fully vaccinated (including a booster if their second dose was more than 270 days ago).
  • EU citizens are free to travel from the UK to the Netherlands directly regardless of vaccination status.
Yes, that's correct. There is no rhyme or reason to any of these restrictions.

nw1

Established Member
Non-EU nationals remain subject to an EU entry ban. Exemptions apply in several cases, however, such as for people travelling from ‘safe’ countries, travellers with a proof of vaccination and people travelling for certain purposes.
It's not actually an EU entry ban though, as otherwise British people would be banned from all EU countries, including Ireland presumably - which clearly they are not. Seems a bit cheeky to blame the EU for something which is clearly a domestic policy.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
The section under "safe countries" which you quote is out of date from tomorrow - see the part highlighted below in the NL Government announcement which you quoted:

Yes, that's correct. There is no rhyme or reason to any of these restrictions.

Particularly puzzling given I've always considered the Netherlands to be run by quite rational governments. One might expect them to apply sound logic to their restrictions, rather than stating that UK-Netherlands direct is somehow more dangerous than travelling to the Netherlands via Ireland.

Last edited:

danm14

It's not actually an EU entry ban though, as otherwise British people would be banned from all EU countries, including Ireland presumably - which clearly they are not. Seems a bit cheeky to blame the EU for something which is clearly a domestic policy.
The EU does recommend that member states implement a ban on unvaccinated/unrecovered non-EU citizen adults entering for non-essential purposes. Some EU countries, such as Ireland, have chosen not to implement it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I see Hong Kong and New Zealand are still on the Netherlands’ list of "safe countries". What a joke.
The Netherlands has had quite a bonkers policy for the whole pandemic. I was in Amsterdam in autumn 2020 when they instituted a second lockdown. Had to eat McDonald’s in the street - not indoors - but the legalised hookers were still allowed to play their trade. One can only wonder what their covid mitigations entailed!

Particularly puzzling given I've always considered the Netherlands to be run by quite rational governments. One might expect them to apply sound logic to their restrictions, rather than stating that UK-Netherlands direct is somehow more dangerous than travelling to the Netherlands via Ireland.
Finland also had a policy during the worst days of the pandemic where arriving direct from the UK was verboten but arriving from Sweden was fine, even if that was on a connecting flight from London!

nw1

Established Member
The EU does recommend that member states implement a ban on unvaccinated/unrecovered non-EU citizen adults entering for non-essential purposes. Some EU countries, such as Ireland, have chosen not to implement it.

While I am a remainer, I will be open in my criticism of the EU on this. There is no logical reason, on Covid-risk grounds, to treat non-EU and EU citizens differently.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
So reading the updated entry for the Netherlands from Thursday:

If you are a resident of a country that is not on the list of safe countries and fully vaccinated, you can be exempted from the EU entry ban. Under this exemption you can enter the Netherlands if you have valid proof of vaccination showing that you have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). The official validity period of a proof of vaccination is 270 days after the last dose of the primary vaccination cycle. After receiving a booster dose the proof of vaccination will be valid again.

This category does not apply for travel from from China until China lifts entry restrictions on European travellers.

Documents to be shown at the Dutch border​

If you meet the conditions above and travel to the Netherlands, you will need to show the following documents to the Dutch border authorities:

Travellers aged 12 and over from outside the Schengen area must complete a vaccination declaration. Children under the age of 18 travelling with their vaccinated parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are exempt from this requirement.

danm14

So reading the updated entry for the Netherlands from Thursday:

If you are a resident of a country that is not on the list of safe countries and fully vaccinated, you can be exempted from the EU entry ban. Under this exemption you can enter the Netherlands if you have valid proof of vaccination showing that you have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). The official validity period of a proof of vaccination is 270 days after the last dose of the primary vaccination cycle. After receiving a booster dose the proof of vaccination will be valid again.

This category does not apply for travel from from China until China lifts entry restrictions on European travellers.

Documents to be shown at the Dutch border​

If you meet the conditions above and travel to the Netherlands, you will need to show the following documents to the Dutch border authorities:

Travellers aged 12 and over from outside the Schengen area must complete a vaccination declaration. Children under the age of 18 travelling with their vaccinated parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are exempt from this requirement.
But, even if you are wholly unvaccinated, you are welcome to travel to the Netherlands provided you increase your chances of having the disease by taking an additional flight and travelling via Dublin.

nw1

Established Member
But, even if you are wholly unvaccinated, you are welcome to travel to the Netherlands provided you increase your chances of having the disease by taking an additional flight and travelling via Dublin.

I will say, that in discriminating between EU citizens and non-EU citizens, the Dutch government are mandating policies reminiscent of those of hardcore Brexiters. That is ironic.

rvdborgt

I will say, that in discriminating between EU citizens and non-EU citizens, the Dutch government are mandating policies reminiscent of those of hardcore Brexiters. That is ironic.
I don't say I agree with it, but I've seen many governments do this over the past 2 years.

Citybreak1

There’s an account peddling lies on Twitter saying Holland is open for all how do I report it? Clearly we have an EU entry ban

So if I fly to Dublin then Holland I can do this without a vaccine?

island

Veteran Member
The rules are based on where you are travelling from. If you travel from the UK via Dublin to the Netherlands, you are travelling from the UK and need to follow the rules for someone travelling from the UK.

I accept the enforceability of this may in practice be limited.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So if I fly to Dublin then Holland I can do this without a vaccine?
Effectively, yes. The Dutch government website doesn't link to the relevant law, but from what it describes, the "EU entry ban" applies only to people travelling from non-EU countries.

There is a health declaration form to fill out, but given that there are no routine passport checks between Scotland and Ireland, the ban is de facto unenforceable even if it theoretically applies to your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.