• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internet Explorer 7 BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
The IE7 BETA is available but I'm not sure whether I like it as much as IE6. It is good as it allows you more room on the screen for browsing but you can't easily move the various buttons and toolbar sections about e.g. the 'File', 'Edit' etc sections cannot be moved to the top etc. Also, 'Cleartype' is set by default and I don't know if you can turn it off. It doesn't change the whole system, just IE. I do like the tabbed browsing, however, that other browsers have.

Here are some pictures from the default package with no mods.

IExplorerBETA2.jpg

IExplorerBETA1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Yes, I've had a few looks around it, I personally don't like it.

The new tab tab doesn't really work well IMO, just do it the Firefox way

devon_metro

Established Member
Who doesn't....
(Non-firefox users don't answer that:p)

IMO they have murdered the IE icon.

Coxster

Established Member
It seems to change the font type in Outlook/Outlook express too. You can change the font type in IE7 in the Tools/Internet Options/Multimedia section.

Tom B

Established Member
Tabbed browsing blatently ripped from other browsers... is it still as insecure as ever? There's also removal of support for other OSs (though why anyone not using Windoze would want to use M$IE is beyond me).

Guinness

Established Member
I might switch to IE7 as Firefox seems to have totally screwed up on me. My quick links button disappeared and the search bar no longer searches any website. :(

I'll give this a go.

devon_metro

Established Member
I don't think i will be, if the file, edit etc section does not move then that's a load of....

Coxster

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
I don't think i will be, if the file, edit etc section does not move then that's a load of....
You soon get used to it mate - I thought that at first but after ten minutes it was fine. You barely have to use it after you have set the browser up how you want it.

Tom B

Established Member
Chaz said:
I might switch to IE7 as Firefox seems to have totally screwed up on me. My quick links button disappeared and the search bar no longer searches any website. :(

I'll give this a go.

Have you tried a reinstall? Or Opera? I'm typing from an old banger which mangled Firefox up and I can't really be bothered to do a reinstall of Windoze since it's likely this machine will be replaced and I'll slap Debian onto it - I'm using Opera in the interim (IE is SO insecure).

Guinness

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Have you tried a reinstall? Or Opera? I'm typing from an old banger which mangled Firefox up and I can't really be bothered to do a reinstall of Windoze since it's likely this machine will be replaced and I'll slap Debian onto it - I'm using Opera in the interim (IE is SO insecure).

Finally fixed it! Booted Firefox in Safe Mode then reset everything in the program. :)

Regarding IE7, I gave up on the installation of it seen as it took 10 minutes to get to 44% on the wizard. Oh and M$ don't provide you with a cancel or exit button so I had to Process Kill it. Don't get me started on all that Geniune Windows crap.....

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
This is super, ill post screenshots of it soon onto my website. :blob3::blob3:

And whats wrong with Screenshots on the "Official Micro**** IE7 Website"?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I actually quite like it. It takes some getting used to regarding the positions of the icons, but the tabbed-browsing is handy. It also seems to be quicker than IE6.

Well done microsoft, a good update here.

T

Tom

Chaz said:
Finally fixed it! Booted Firefox in Safe Mode then reset everything in the program. :)

Regarding IE7, I gave up on the installation of it seen as it took 10 minutes to get to 44% on the wizard. Oh and M$ don't provide you with a cancel or exit button so I had to Process Kill it. Don't get me started on all that Geniune Windows crap.....
That'll be because it downloads the files from the M$ website in the installer...

devon_metro

Established Member
Having tried it i'm not impressed, i had to do a system restore to before instalation due to the fact it blocks the HTML based side of McAfee. I'll stick with IMO much better firefox :D

Guinness

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
That'll be because it downloads the files from the M$ website in the installer...
Great so I downloaded 12mb of an Internet
Downloady Installer when Firefox does the whole thing through less than 5mb. :rolleyes:

Go M$!

/Sarcasm

Nitro

I hate it as it changes some shell settings and Microsoft Antispyware asked me if I wanted to block it so I blocked most of the new settings and now it wont show up anywhere and when I finally did delete it I had to restart again which Im not doing!

Guinness

Established Member
Microsoft Antispyware isn't very effective of removing Spyware. Spybot Search and Destory and Lavasoft do the job much better and you don't have to pay (MS are planing to make Antispyware Payware after it comes out of BETA). :)

Nitro

Already got Spybot S&P and Ad-Aware SE Personal but I wanted to test out Microsoft's version... I read on download.com that they done some experiment to test which antispyware app is better and Microsoft Antispyware said all clear when the pc was infected with some of the worst spyware :rolleyes:

devon_metro

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Hi all, Ive had to re-install XP, Since I installed IE7 my PC refused to boot up.

Ouch. Just goes to show what a load of .... micros#*t software is :lol:

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Hi all, Ive had to re-install XP, Since I installed IE7 my PC refused to boot up.

Serves you right for trying IE7 ;)

(Just kidding) 8-)

Tom B

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Yeah, if I was you, id stay away from IE7 Beta till its release on Vista

What will the difference be? Vista is just XP with a few bits bolted on anyway.

T

Tom

Can we just say that Vista is XP with loads of bloat?

EDIT: No wait sorry I forgot XP is already bloat so Vista must be XB (Xtra Bloat)

Status
Not open for further replies.