• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internet Explorer 7 BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
[Vista features]

"Speech Recognition" - oh dear, I'm still recovering from IBM ViaVoice:p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Can we just say that Vista is XP with loads of bloat?

EDIT: No wait sorry I forgot XP is already bloat so Vista must be XB (Xtra Bloat)

Summed up in a nutshell, you've got it!

Coxster

Established Member
If you all hate Microsoft products so much, why do most of you use it? :roll:

Tom B

Established Member
Coxster said:

I use as few M$ products as possible. Unfortunately, I have to use M$ Windoze on one machine to run BVE and do certain things to do with schoolwork (they seem to think it's OK to force everyone to use Windoze at home if they want to use the school network remotely).

Windoze does have it's place, but you need to do so much work on it to get it working properly - removing all the rubbish, plugging gaping holes, putting decent web browsers on etc.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:

Because Microsoft as monopolised the computer market, there is no getting away from Microsoft! Most things to do with Windows you have to pay for. Such as Windows Plus! etc.

It's like saying if you hate the NHS why do most of you use it?

Gareth Hale

The NHS is the National Health Service, im yet to meet sombody who hates it. Plus, Microsoft are good, if you don't like them, use Linux, but good luck trying to play your favourite game, good luck trying to use your favourite web browser, good luck on just about everything :-P

Tom B

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Plus, Microsoft are good, if you don't like them, use Linux, but good luck trying to play your favourite game, good luck trying to use your favourite web browser, good luck on just about everything :-P

I can use my favourite web browser on Linux. It's a case of using my favourite web browser on Windows being a luxury, because people have spent time porting it over to Windows. The only reason I still use Windoze is 1) BVE and 2) schoolwork. Both of these could be run under Linux fine, if other people weren't so narrow minded. It's a bit like people who write websites which will only work with MSIE - as opposed to writing it for international standards, they choose to write sloppy code which is quicker.

The only reason people use Windoze so much is because it comes with their computer. If machines came with a Linux distro installed they would be fine - scientific studies have shown people find Linux easier to use than Windoze, except where they've been used to using Windoze previously.

Nitro

Back to IE 7 BETA I ve unistalled MS Antispyware and after a restart managed to install it. Although the IE icon didnt change to the little gold stripe and remained blue and I have to say IE 7 is nothing new. Its tabbed browsing is too little too late and the fact that 'File, Edit' etc. are gone is even worse as now you have to look for them in the little double arrow thing. On a good point they've finally made the internet icon at the bottom non Windows 98 style. All in all it doesnt persuade me to change from Firefox.

Coxster

Established Member
Nitro said:
'File, Edit' etc. are gone is even worse as now you have to look for them in the little double arrow thing.
Turn them on then ;) I find that you don't actually need them much anyway so I have turned them off.

The Gricer

Nitro said:
...the fact that 'File, Edit' etc. are gone is even worse as now you have to look for them in the little double arrow thing.

Pressing 'ALT' will toggle the 'file, edit, etc' on and off. If you don't like the "little double arrow thing" (which shows the toolbar icons that are off the page) just right click on the toolbar, deselect 'lock position' and drag the toolbar over to the left a bit using the dotted marker that appears.

For what it's worth I find IE's implementation of tabs somewhat better than Firefox's but then of course that's just my opinion and I realise that it's futile arguing with the anti-Microsoft camp who decide "If it's Microsoft it must be crap" without even giving it a fair trial.

Frank

Tom B

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Pressing 'ALT' will toggle the 'file, edit, etc' on and off. If you don't like the "little double arrow thing" (which shows the toolbar icons that are off the page) just right click on the toolbar, deselect 'lock position' and drag the toolbar over to the left a bit using the dotted marker that appears.

For what it's worth I find IE's implementation of tabs somewhat better than Firefox's but then of course that's just my opinion and I realise that it's futile arguing with the anti-Microsoft camp who decide "If it's Microsoft it must be crap" without even giving it a fair trial.

Frank

Not nescesarilly - however from what I've read on IE7 in various sources, very little of the software is actually new - it's another MS upgrade by slapping a new GUI on and tweaking with something (though tabbed browsing it a move forward) - few of the reviews I've read have been positive (aside from the MS sponsored reviews).

Sprog

Established Member
Ill be sticking with Firefox ta. ;)

Not going to get into a MS/Linux debate, but i would start using Linux if i could (im still waiting for my ex-teacher to give me a the latest version of Suse Linux so i can install it on one of my spare hard disks). I want to learn Linux, but this massive delay (almost 4 months) has put me off and its gone to the bottom of my priorites. Im also waiting for him to give me a copy of the Adobe ImageSuite thingy on DVD (thats photoshop CS2 and jst about all of adobes other software) :toothy5:

Dave A

I reverted back to IE after FF was too slow when running. IE7 is SLOWER than both, and as I type this, it is failing to catch up with my typing speed!

I like it, it scores very high on tabbed browsing, but overall, this is poor and clearly un-finished. If this is close to a release, I know I wont be upgrading!

T

Tom

We are not. We are making money from Microsoft so who really gives a ****?

EDIT: It is Google who are advertising on behalf of us. ;)

traveller1030

I think I've read The Gricer's wise words before about being quick to slag off M$ - whilst I like Linux (in fact I even like OS/2 compared to Bindoze XP but for my future career direction I think I'm going to learn fast that Wintel is the daddy after all, save for UNIX servers), I have little reason to run a distro since I mainly program in VS.NET (unaware of a Linux IDE able to write code for the architecture), find OpenOffice for Win very cumbersome compared to Office (but that's a get what you pay for argument, and by paying jack for OOo you get a great deal IMHO and Base looks better than Access in some respects from a DBD/DBA point of view!), have yet to find a program that can interact with/edit M$ Project files to my satisfaction apart from Project itself (saying that, Project doesn't half frustrate me at times!)... and on and on...

I don't like M$'s tendency to bloat out their OS though - it's my hard drive and I'll be damned if I'm giving it 20% of my HD space, hypothetically speaking. Not when some OS's have a footprint that fits on a USB flash drive (not to mention RTOS's for things like ARM chips and other microcontrollers - total footprint including SDK - 2.5MB). Not just Microsoft though, also on my bloatware hit list are Adobe, Sun (OOo is hefty and sluggish as is the JDK at times), Macromedia, most modern games developers along with... me on a lazy coding day. Oops.

Guinness

Established Member
David said:
I like it, it scores very high on tabbed browsing, but overall, this is poor and clearly un-finished. If this is close to a release, I know I wont be upgrading!

It's still a BETA. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.