• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

internet on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsharp

hi everyone, this wont make a lot of sense but here we go!, when i go on my rail rover am going to be in firstclass. what i want to no is are there any devices (blackberry???) that i could use whilst am on the move and also in the first class lounges, to keep up to date with the rail gen and bits and bobs via picking up wifi? . i dont have a laptop but if thats all i could use could someone suggest a cheap one? . am real sorry if this doesnt make sense! all help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
The iPhone has a wifi facility that I'm sure will connect to NXEC's service, and any other wifi access available on trains.

Also, if you own a "3" phone (that is, the network provider is 3), you can get really cheap internet access providing you are able to access a 3rd-generation signal (which is possible in most towns and cities nowadays). I have a nokia N70 which is now completely past it, but sometimes I use the internet to check if there's a delay on my train if I'm catching a connecting service.
This does not need wifi access, so you can use it on more trains, but you need a constant phone signal, so using it in the highlands of Scotland is not recommended.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You may also have seen a load of USB devices advertised by the mobile phone companies for about £15/mth which plug into laptops and allow connection to the internet.

A number of stations also have (paid) wireless access points as well as train services mentioned above.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
get a nokia n95 mate - really good phone, plus pretty decent wifi ;) and to top it off 5 megapixel camera

RJ

Established Member
hi everyone, this wont make a lot of sense but here we go!, when i go on my rail rover am going to be in firstclass. what i want to no is are there any devices (blackberry???) that i could use whilst am on the move and also in the first class lounges, to keep up to date with the rail gen and bits and bobs via picking up wifi?

I use a Nokia N70 to pick up my emails/access the internet - I have 'unlimited' access so no worries about holding back.

Turbostar

get a nokia n95 mate - really good phone, plus pretty decent wifi ;) and to top it off 5 megapixel camera

It's a cracking phone, I'd get one if I could, if only the damn things weren't so expensive. Yeh I know, you can get it on contract, but some people don't want a contract. :roll:

me123

Established Member
Yeh I know, you can get it on contract, but some people don't want a contract. :roll:

Avoid contracts: you'd be as well just paying for the damn phone! My N70 is completely past it now; it looks bad and it's just really slow. They can't fix it, but I'm stuck for another 6 months with it :x

If you do get a contract, make it a short one.

Dave A

Not true actually. I got a N95 8GB version with an 18 month contract for £35 a month.

Now, if I'd purchased the handset on its own, at the time of taking the contract, it would of cost me around £350.

Then add my £20-£30 a month spend on credit for my phone, and x that by 18. Altogether, that would of cost me at least £710.

With the contract option its only £630, and I get lots of free minutes and texts. ;) :)

1D53

Established Member
I thoroughly recommend RailUk's mobile interface. Says I on 1040 York to Hull.

jonb

Established Member
Just to throw in my 'two cents' (!) here. I currently use a Blackberry 8120 with emails pushed straight to my device (known as BES) This is handy as its instant so no need to send/recieve. The internet i've found is also quick and there is a wifi facility.

I'd personally stay away from the iPhone. It may appear to have all the gadgets but we have three for the some of the management at my place and the amount of times i've had to have them repaired is endless. The battery is also very poor. Don't get me wrong the interface is great and it looks good with the touch screen but wait for the iPhone 2 (I think theres one coming out in the next few months but could be wrong, all rumour mill at the moment)

The Nokia N95 8GB is also highly recommended we've had no problems with these at all very sturdy and Nokia have vastly improved the software on these compared to the original N95.

Hope this helps any questions drop me a PM

Mintona

Established Member
Not an Aple fan, but the iPhone worked fine for us on the ALR, better than my Samsung D900i anyway :D

djw1981

Established Member
Avoid contracts: you'd be as well just paying for the damn phone! My N70 is completely past it now; it looks bad and it's just really slow. They can't fix it, but I'm stuck for another 6 months with it :x

If you do get a contract, make it a short one.

My contract is 12 months at £30 pcm including the number of minutes, texts and MB I need; the phone would have cost £390 at the time (that was the PAYG cost at the time). I get free insurance and free calls Sat,Sun,Mon.

So I was £30 up at the start. Plus cost of calls and texts and Wap over the year!

Longer contracts tend to have better deals anyway. Also not every one wants a new phone every 3 months......

The only reason I still have a landline is for the internet really.

Turbostar

Ok, so what are BlackBerry like? I've always had a good interest in them, being a techno-junkie. I'm with T-Mobile at mo on PAYG, I've looked on their website, & can get a BlackBerry Curve 8310, plus extras, for total of £38 per month on Flext. Mmmm, sounds very tempting.... 8-)

me123

Established Member
Longer contracts tend to have better deals anyway. Also not every one wants a new phone every 3 months......

The problem with my particular longer contract is that the phone is now completely tatty, slow, and one of the buttons has fallen off. And I take quite good care of it! The company won't/can't find a reason to fix it (technically it's in good condition and they can't just get a new button apparently...) so i'm stuck with it :(.

Ok, so what are BlackBerry like? I've always had a good interest in them, being a techno-junkie. I'm with T-Mobile at mo on PAYG, I've looked on their website, & can get a BlackBerry Curve 8310, plus extras, for total of £38 per month on Flext. Mmmm, sounds very tempting.... 8-)

My Dad had to get a blackberry because his work made him (so he can do his e-mails on-the-go). He doesn't like it as a phone because it's so big and bulky, but admits it's a good mini-computer.

Nym

Established Member
Cheap laptop: eBuyer
Spash out and get any kind of Windows Mobile 2005 PDA, somthing like a HTC Series, possibly a Touch Cruise etc... http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=159608

Cheaper than an iPhone, and you can shove in a Tesco PAYG or Vodafone etc... in it, not bad for the price of a laptop and more portable with FF Interweb

djw1981

Established Member
The problem with my particular longer contract is that the phone is now completely tatty, slow, and one of the buttons has fallen off. And I take quite good care of it! The company won't/can't find a reason to fix it (technically it's in good condition and they can't just get a new button apparently...) so i'm stuck with it :(.

See that thing in the bathroom with a flush on the top...............oops my phone got soaked and won't work anymore.....

NB. The above is fraudulent and illegal and if discovered will often lead to a criminal record. However, the number of cases of the above which occur, and are paid, especially when the owner was drunk, indicates that the insurance policies make lots of profit from those who do not claim.

My previous contract was 18 months and my only issue was battery life - Sony Ericsson's take some beatings (literally), and it tolerated the odd dunking and squashing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.