• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InterRail and sleeper trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

With the InterRail Great Britain Pass, can you use it to travel on the Night Riviera and Caledonian Sleeper trains in the seated accommodation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian13

With the InterRail Great Britain Pass, can you use it to travel on the Night Riviera and Caledonian Sleeper trains in the seated accommodation?

You sure can! You'll require a seat reservation to travel though, and your ticket must be valid for both of the days.

These can be made in advance for free at a Staffed Station upon production of your ticket. The Caledonian Sleeper can also be reserved for free through ScotRail telesales (and I would advise ensuring you reserve in advance).

As a quick note, depending on which Caledonian Sleeper you travel on, it may be necessary to change carriages during the journey (I know the Fort William portion going north requires this at ca. 4am).

A60K

Not always. Sleepers leave some stations after midnight.
and there is - or was - an easement in European rail pass conditions that if you board an overnight train after 19.00 with a flexi-pass (eg 4 in 8 days) you only need to use a box for the arrival day. Has that been scrapped?

4SRKT

Established Member
Do you need a reservation for the seated section on the Night Riviera? There's over 4 times the number of seats as on the Caley, and certainly between Plymouth and Penzance it's just a normal service train.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I boarded the Night Riviera at liskeard using my PRIV pass and sat in seated all the way to Paddington without a seat reservation and had no trouble.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Reservation is not compulsory on the Night Riviera in the seated section.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
and there is - or was - an easement in European rail pass conditions that if you board an overnight train after 19.00 with a flexi-pass (eg 4 in 8 days) you only need to use a box for the arrival day. Has that been scrapped?

This rule is certainly still in existence (I utilised it several times this summer).

Status
Not open for further replies.