• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail dates- NMBS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashkeba

Established Member
A long time ago you got back about 5%(?) of the ticket price. I guess they are happy with the amount that get sent in at the moment or they would increase the incentive.
A couple of years ago, the gift for sending in a diary was a blow up pillow, earplugs and eye mask, which seemed a bit of an insult, like "here are some things that would have made your trip nicer or you've already bought". 5% rebate would have been much better!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37201xoIM

OK, but the motivation to return the diary is the risk that one or more countries withdraw from the Interrail Scheme in future if they don't get what they consider to be adequate revenue from it. Although it has been in place since 1972, there is no requirement of any kind for any country to continue participating...
Spot-on. I would go for some sort of deposit system, as per the old practice.

Meanwhile over the last week's 5-dayer, other than GB and trains with no grip at all, I think only on one or two trains was the diary entry not checked; I was in Germany, Czech Rep, Austria, Switzerland and France. (And used about 30ish trains, I guess)

dutchflyer

Established Member
It really varies per country and even per type of train. But then yes- AT/FR(long dist)/DE (mostly/only longdist/INTern.) are noted for thorough checks. Or it may be that the conductors got better/more strict instructions. On minor or faraway lines they might simply look out of curiosity or the thrill of seeing an otherwise never seen special ticket.
Seeing that now also EE and LV have joined (with expected minimal takings) the fear for dropping out does not seem that big.
Good to see this 1972 reminder_ expect much more HoompaH (and hopefully promotions too) in 2022= 50 years!
Meanwhile I bought the giant 2 month global with the discount in dec to start in may and to last into july. Cost me less as 600 eur-compare that to a weekly UK-all line rover! Already looking @ home for empty old records and copying them to satisfy the checks.

37201xoIM

Meanwhile I bought the giant 2 month global with the discount in dec to start in may and to last into july. Cost me less as 600 eur-compare that to a weekly UK-all line rover! Already looking @ home for empty old records and copying them to satisfy the checks.
... which makes me wonder what the record is for the most completed diary continuation sheets is for one IR pass.... Call me a saddo, but now I think of it, that would be genuinely quite interesting!!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I was on my fifth extra page on my 15 day flexi Global Pass by the time the conductor that prompted this thread accosted me- which I think is what contributed to my anger!

This was mostly due to my time being spent travelling intensely around Germany, Czechia, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland so a lot of trains were involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.