• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail in Issuing Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the IR Global Passes now permit one day's travel in the issuing country for each of outward and inward travel. Does anyone know whether this day has to be at the start/end of the pass's use, or is it possible to go back to the issuing country mid-trip(bearing in mind that some of the passes are valid for a month) and make the connecting journey then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

Seems pretty clear that the answer is 'no' if you read this page:http://www.interrail.eu/passes/how-use-your-interrail-pass/travel-your-own-country

If you're travelling with an Interrail Global Pass, you can use it to make 2 journeys in your country of residence. 1 of these journeys can be used for outbound travel at the start of your Interrail trip. The other journey can be used for inbound travel at the end of your trip.
Outbound journey - to be used on your*first*day of travel:
Travel from any location in your country of residence to its border, or to an airport or port within your country. You can travel with more than one train, provided the outbound journey is completed within the same day.
Inbound journey - to be used*on your*last day of travel:
Travel to any location in your country of residence from its border, or from an airport or port within your country. You can travel with more than one train, provided the inbound journey is completed within the same day.

The journeys must be made during the overall validity period of your pass. If you have a pass with flexible travel days, such as 5 days within 15 days, and you use your outbound and inbound journey, you'll have 3 days left to travel outside your country.*Check out this example trip from Berlin to Amsterdam.

Please note that your outbound and inbound journey cannot be used to cross your*country halfway through your Interrail trip.

shredder1

Established Member
I use a lot of Interrails and I`m very pleased that this change came it, I`ll be away again in June so want to got from Manchester To Brussels or beyond depending how far I can get on the first day towards Eastern Europe, it will give me chance of using the new Eurostar route from St Pancras, I`ve only ever gone from Waterloo.

dutchflyer

Established Member
It seems to vary with country of residence, with of course the larger/expensive fares countries imposing the more restrictions (the cheapest of 5/15 in some countries is cheaper as the normal full-fare return on longest distance!). Its very hard indeed to get these listed, as many were imposed during 2016-the first year this was offered. f.e. France/SNCF seems to ban use of TGV on thes trips.
However, I assume you ask this for the UK, and then there is no clear answer (yet?).
Besides border points (which are a bit useless for the UK anyway) these trips are also allowed to ferryport or airport-and do not need the be the exact reverse of outbound for the return.
There is a dedicated InterRail-forum on en.rail.cc, run by enthusiast Germans/Austrians-there it was stated that both these trips could be combined for a transit-trip in the middle of use. (f.e. someone with a 10D/Month pass could do 2 trips: fly out to somewhere far-come back by train to home and then start a new trip going out by train and flying/bussing back home.
Untill 31/3 there is a 15% off-season discount, though passes can now be issued for use up to 9 or 11 monthes advance-thus also allowing travel in the high-peak-summer-monthes.

Status
Not open for further replies.