• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail Mobile Pass Serious Issues and No Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgsh2011

Yesterday, I purchased a 3 day in 1 Month 1st class Interrail mobile pass. I have activated the pass and selected my first travel day (i.e. today 16 June). The app is not allowing me to add my trip (Warsaw-Gdańsk). Yesterday it was working fine and now today it is a nightmare. Luckily, I was able to obtain my reservations for the trip yesterday at Warsaw Central Station (which has enabled me to travel) BUT the app is not displaying the bar coded ticket for the actual pass. It will not let me add any journeys to the pass (it saves them but does not display the details to enable me to display the bar code). In summary, it is a mess. Also, for added entertainment, the app “loses” the pass every few hours meaning the only way to gain access is to delete and reinstall the app.

This really is unacceptable and potentially exposes travellers to fines and goodness knows what else. Support from Eurail/Interrail? NONE! They apparently might get back to me in TWO business days! No way of contacting them live and meanwhile the pass I paid for is effectively useless as I cannot make any further journeys or obtain any further reservations until this issue is sorted. Shame on your Eurrail/Interrail shame on you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Sorry to hear this. I had already decided to avoid the mobile pass for as long as possible, and your experience only strengthens that.

While I'm content using digital tickets and apps for simple point-to-point journeys, the nature of Interrailing inevitably brings more time away from places to charge a phone or places to download data. A paper pass is never going to run out of battery and it doesn't need roaming or mobile phone coverage to be read.

Hope you can resolve it soon.

tgsh2011

Thank you. What is really “scary” was the pass just disappeared. A look at the T&Cs generates even further concern. Eurail BV absolve themselves of any responsibility. Now, such a clause would never pass muster legally, but it is indicative of their attitude. It really has brought a bitter taste to the whole experience. Lucky enough, even with just today’s return journey, I have still saved about £25 on point to point tickets. Lesson learned though.

dutchflyer

Established Member
No, there have for the last 2 yrs or so been many complaints about the based in India (where else? a typical railway country after all!) ´support´ for this-much the same now for raileurope.
But I really cannot imagine that such a pass would save in Poland on PKP on 1 basic return.

Alfonso

Sorry to hear this. I had already decided to avoid the mobile pass for as long as possible, and your experience only strengthens that.

While I'm content using digital tickets and apps for simple point-to-point journeys, the nature of Interrailing inevitably brings more time away from places to charge a phone or places to download data. A paper pass is never going to run out of battery and it doesn't need roaming or mobile phone coverage to be read.

Hope you can resolve it soon.
Even with the added sales incentives to buy the digital rather than paper pass, I wouldn't buy one until or unless it becomes clear the system is actually stable enough to work pretty much all the time

tgsh2011

No, there have for the last 2 yrs or so been many complaints about the based in India (where else? a typical railway country after all!) ´support´ for this-much the same now for raileurope.
But I really cannot imagine that such a pass would save in Poland on PKP on 1 basic return.
My pass cost GBP 60 for 3 days in one month and I made 4 reservations on EIP trains at £8 each meaning the total spend came to £92. I also took an intercity to Lublin (no reservation fee there and back). Thus 3 trips, Gdansk, Krakow, and Lublin return from Warsaw totalled £92. One return trip on EIP to Gdansk in 1st class on point to point was EUR 108 (approximately £92). I would call my pass very good value for money (when it eventually worked).

jamesontheroad

Established Member
My pass cost GBP 60 for 3 days in one month and I made 4 reservations on EIP trains at £8 each meaning the total spend came to £92. I also took an intercity to Lublin (no reservation fee there and back). Thus 3 trips, Gdansk, Krakow, and Lublin return from Warsaw totalled £92. One return trip on EIP to Gdansk in 1st class on point to point was EUR 108 (approximately £92). I would call my pass very good value for money (when it eventually worked).

Thanks for the updates @tgsh2011! Poland is going to need lots of time in a future trip for me to explore.

superalbs

Established Member
That's surprising to hear, when I have travelled with the EIP, it has normally been a lot cheaper, in both classes.

Though, the one-country passes are much better value for these regions than a global pass (it would be a bad idea to get a global pass for a trip solely to Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland for example), though it can sometimes be worth considering a global pass if you need to go by train to reach your airport in the UK, and there are no good value fares left.

Alfonso

Hi, I will be traveling on a Eurail Global pass for 30 day consecutive. I know in Italy I have to have a reservation for high speed. Is it best to get paper or mobile? And how would I purchase my reservation? Through the app or just buy at station if I have a paper one?
Considering both the number and severity of problems with the mobile app I'd definitely get a paper interraol pass, but your reservations could be electronic, from trenitalia or pretty much any other European railway company, or bought at the station, it makes little difference, although some agencies can charge a hefty mark up. If you're not in a hurry it's also worth considering Intercity and intercity Notte trains in Italy.

Shinkansenfan

Too bad the latest version of the Interail and Eurailpass couldn't be an email with a PDF ticket akin to the German Rail Pass where they send you a PDF suitable for printing or display on your mobile for inspection. With the German Rail PDF pass, I never have to worry about losing the pass. Just print out a duplicate in case the first pass is lost. And no need to incur shipping and handling costs. Almost instant delivery!

Status
Not open for further replies.