• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail tickets - UK citizen resident abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soyyo

I'm a UK citizen who has lived in Spain since the beginning of this year.

I understand that I can use an Interrail ticket to travel around the UK once I have been resident outside the UK for six months. Can anyone confirm this please?

Also, am I likely to have any problems in practice, given that I am still a UK passport holder?

Finally, if I can travel with such a ticket, are there any time restrictions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

As long as you have some sort of residency card in Spain, which has an ID Number, you'll be okay.
I'm Dutch, living in Belgium, and I always pick whichever country I'm not travelling through; a Dutch one if I start in Belgium, a Belgian one if I start in the Netherlands.
So you can perfectly use it in the UK. :)

And there are no restrictions whatsoever for trains, apart from the obvious Eurostar, and sleeper berths (seated you can still turn up). I can also advise you to book seats for all trains you'll use, which you can get for free upon showing the interrail.

Soyyo

Thanks that's helpful. I'll get one excluding Spain, and then travel on the local service Girona to Cerbere where the Interrail will kick in.

NicholasNCE

Agreed, but presumably Soyyo isn't planning to only travel to Cerbère on day one of his pass, but onwards through France in which case he may as well make use of the new arrangement.

Veteran Member
Agreed, but presumably Soyyo isn't planning to only travel to Cerbère on day one of his pass, but onwards through France in which case he may as well make use of the new arrangement.

I read the linked page to the effect that you had to use a separate day for your "home country" journey. Now I re-read it, I think that's my misunderstanding.

pne

You need to carry official proof of residence in Spain, though I'd be surprised if you were asked for it much.

For what it's worth, when I travelled with a BritRail pass, I stocked up on proof of residences (I think I took a recent credit card statement with my name as well as an extract from the citizens' registry), but I don't think I even got asked for my passport, let alone proof of non-UK residency had they seen my UK passport.

Better safe than sorry, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.