• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail travel day ends at 23:59 local time or CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding that a travel day ends at 23:59 local time for a paper pass, but 23:59 CET for a mobile pass.

So as an example, if you want to go on a train leaving at 23:30 from Kings Cross to Leeds on Wednesday night you would use a Wednesday travel day on paper, but a Thursday travel day on mobile.

Have I got this right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
why would it be CET? Universal Mean Time is GMT. That theory would also mean that it must be "winter time" all year around on interrail.
It is of course local time that counts.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
My understanding is that it's the day of departure that counts when travelling on a train that crosses midnight, except where it's part of your outbound or inbound domestic leg.

So if, for example, you were a GB resident and using the Sleeper from Edinburgh to Euston before taking a Eurostar from St Pancras you'd need to use two days.

If, however, you were a non-GB resident and using the same Sleeper before spending a day in London, you'd just use one day (i.e. the day the Sleeper departs Edinburgh.)

My understanding is that it's the day of departure that counts when travelling on a train that crosses midnight, except where it's part of your outbound or inbound domestic leg.

So if, for example, you were a GB resident and using the Sleeper from Edinburgh to Euston before taking a Eurostar from St Pancras you'd need to use two days.

If, however, you were a non-GB resident and using the same Sleeper before spending a day in London, you'd just use one day (i.e. the day the Sleeper departs Edinburgh.)

Interesting, I thought that a GB resident was only allowed one outbound travel day, so if you take the Sleeper from Edinburgh to Euston on day 1 before taking a Eurostar from St Pancras on day 2, you would have to pay full fare on the Eurostar. And then you could choose to validate day 2 in France/Belgium/NL if you wanted to travel further.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Interesting, I thought that a GB resident was only allowed one outbound travel day, so if you take the Sleeper from Edinburgh to Euston on day 1 before taking a Eurostar from St Pancras on day 2, you would have to pay full fare on the Eurostar. And then you could choose to validate day 2 in France/Belgium/NL if you wanted to travel further.
Having double-checked, you are indeed correct. I foolishly applied logic.

Veteran Member
Correct, though you could board (or split) after midnight at Carstairs/Dunblane/Inverkeithing.

Status
Not open for further replies.