• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InterRail Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

superalbs

Established Member
As of today, the InterRail pass has been upgraded!

New features include:
• More global pass choices, now ranging from three days (as low as £157), to three months (as low as £645)!
• New country joins the fray, with Lithuania being a part of the Global Pass, as well as having the one country pass for itself too.
• Now accepted on RegioJet (cheaper long-distance trains in Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Austria) and Leo Express (luxury trains in Czech Republic, Slovkia, and Poland).
• No more 7pm rule. This stated that you only need use one day of travel for the arrival of your journey if it's overnight and started before 7pm (and the train ends after 4am). Now it is just that you can stay on-board any train for as long as you want, just marking the start date.
• More Greek Islands, and better support.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/what-s-new-in-2019-

Despite a small price hike, it seems that there are now a lot more options for a great European rail adventure!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
1.that 3 day pass is ONLY available online, and thus additional postage must bepaid, and as reports suggest, as of now not yet available. Its cheaper as a full fare FLEX return in the Uk from Scotland to LON or airprots nearby-and thus one may just wait for TOCs concerned to have it banned for the use in the UK, I assume?
2.RJ has already accepted it since sep/oc '18, but a supplmt has to be paid for (unless you have the slight chance of asking the stewards just befoire dep.), and I would say RJ is by far more luxurious/spacious as the LEO railsets.
3.NOTE: on already sold and still to be used IR the old ''after 19.00'') rule stil is valid, the new rules apply to the new passes sold from 1/1/19, thus I would fear immense trouble on concerned trains. It helps nothing-it just reverses the old rules and thus smart planning is needed. But on day 1 you could start like in Inverness, travel via LON and BRU to Germany and still use the overnight seats-only ICE to Múnchen(arr. 6.00) all in 1 travelday. Pay supplmt for €*.
what this ''better support''means, wait and see. Up till now the ''official'' site interrail.eu is for several countries not even able to just specify (clearly) on which trains/companies it an be used!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
1.that 3 day pass is ONLY available online, and thus additional postage must bepaid, and as reports suggest, as of now not yet available. Its cheaper as a full fare FLEX return in the Uk from Scotland to LON or airprots nearby-and thus one may just wait for TOCs concerned to have it banned for the use in the UK, I assume?

You can't as a UK resident buy InterRail for use within the UK. The TOCs seem happy for discount passes for non-UK residents to be available.

2.RJ has already accepted it since sep/oc '18, but a supplmt has to be paid for (unless you have the slight chance of asking the stewards just befoire dep.), and I would say RJ is by far more luxurious/spacious as the LEO railsets.

What class can it be used in? RJ has about a million different classes based on the random hotch-potch of used rolling stock they have. And a very curious obsession with mint tea.

Last edited:

D6700

You can't as a UK resident buy InterRail for use within the UK. The TOCs seem happy for discount passes for non-UK residents to be available.

Recently, InterRail was changed to allow one journey in/out of your home country on the first/last day of validity, as long as the date is filled in.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regarding Leo Express; I can't find anything to suggest that Interrail is going to be valid. Could you provide a link?

FWIW, I might well be a Stadler fanboy, but calling LEO Express "luxury" is pushing it. It has a 1+1 premium class, but the rest of it is pretty bog-standard and quite similar to what the East Anglia FLIRTs will offer.

Veteran Member
What class can it be used in? RJ has about a million different classes based on the random hotch-potch of used rolling stock they have.

I would presume Standard for Second and Relax for First

See the link I provided in the first post.

LEO is mentioned in the headline but not on the relevant country page, hence the query I assume. It is specifically listed in the full document though
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3tyoE1BJY7GJMhZ-7ULy1E&cshid=1546531319447

Groningen

Established Member
For me it would be interesting if you could travel from Poland to Tallinn and with the ferry to Helsinki. A ticket for 3 months!? Like to do that, but it will not be possible to spent it only in the train.

Polarbear

Established Member
I can't honestly see who a three month ticket would be aimed at? I certainly don't have three months to spare to travel around Europe by rail (chance would be a fine thing), nor the cash to support myself doing so over that time frame.

I suppose someone taking "time out" (career break or a gap year) who is back-packing around Europe could make use of it, but many in that category aren't going tohave the money to shell out I'd imagine.

Groningen

Established Member
Have they given a price for the 3 months ticket? I think of 1.500 euro!

D6700

Have they given a price for the 3 months ticket? I think of 1.500 euro!
The InterRail website says €902 Second Class and €1,202 First Class for 28-59 year olds - and cheaper in the other age categories.

Veteran Member
The InterRail website says €902 Second Class and €1,202 First Class for 28-59 year olds - and cheaper in the other age categories.
I assume they are working on the basis that people won't be travelling every day, and maybe even going home a few times in between? Not so easy from the fringes though.

superalbs

Established Member
Another new set of upgrades have been introduced as part of the 2020 changes.
  • The three day pass has now been removed, and replaced by a four day pass which is priced at a marginal increase on the three day one (now from £159).
  • Passes are now apparently accepted on thellō day trains in France, only with payment of a small reservation fee. The website doesn't seem to have updated for this, so maybe wait and see.
  • Estonia and Latvia follow in Lithuania's footsteps and both also join the scheme. This brings the total to 33 countries!
  • Prices are slashed, seems like 5% off compared to what I paid last year for equivalent products.

Veteran Member
Another new set of upgrades have been introduced as part of the 2020 changes.
  • The three day pass has now been removed, and replaced by a four day pass which is priced at a marginal increase on the three day one (now from £159).
I wonder if they have twigged that a 3-day pass made a very good value international return ticket especially at relatively short notice! The new price is some 12% higher (at least in First) - still good value IMO.

superalbs

Established Member
I wonder if they have twigged that a 3-day pass made a very good value international return ticket especially at relatively short notice! The new price is some 12% higher (at least in First) - still good value IMO.
Well, you do get an extra day, so the small increase makes sense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.