• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjamie

Hey guys, sorry if this is a bit random but I’m gona post anyways.
I have an interview for a full time conductor job coming up, I have applied in the passed and got though to the interview but have been rejected after. Has anyone got any advice for the interview as it’s a job I’ve always wanted since I was no age sorry if this is a bit long winded or random but Any advice is much appreciated :) thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJD

Research thoroughly the TOC you’re applying for, from what current changes are going on in the business to what the name of the director is called. Try and source as many interview questions as you can and prepare answers demonstrating the key skills they are looking for in the job advert I.e problem solving skills, decision making, safety conscious etc... spend literally a week practicing questions in the mirror and become an expert on being a conductor, understand the role, any current issues surrounding the role, why you want to do it, why you think you’ll be good at it, what current experience you bring to the role. If you do all this prep you can’t fail.

Stigy

Established Member
Hey guys, sorry if this is a bit random but I’m gona post anyways.
I have an interview for a full time conductor job coming up, I have applied in the passed and got though to the interview but have been rejected after. Has anyone got any advice for the interview as it’s a job I’ve always wanted since I was no age sorry if this is a bit long winded or random but Any advice is much appreciated :) thanks
Did you get any feedback from your previous interviews(s)?

Leo555

Not sure how helpful this advice is but I used the STAR method to answer each question in an interview I went for.

So when asked a question answer in 4 parts. 1. Situation 2. Task 3. Action 4. Result

I was offered a job at Network Rail as track inspection operative (sadly turned down after offer due to change in circumstances shortly after)

But if you can apply anything to it using STAR it's better than nothing. I went with:

Interviewer panel - "Tell us about a time you had to work with a safety critical setting" (paraphrased some what as an example)

My answer:

I was working in a Commerical kitchen (situation)
Working with the industrial dishwasher which runs at a temperature of 80 degrees
I had to clean the dishwasher at the end of my shift (task)
I followed the instruction and safety cards printed above the dishwasher to make sure I didn't burn myself by following the procedure on the cards on draining the dishwasher and running a cool down first. (action)
This meant I didn't burn myself or my college who was working at the other side. (result)
If I had opened up to start cleaning before draining and cool down then 80 degree hot water would have sprayed out of the machine and burned myself and my colleague. (result, cont.)

That is a very basic idea - but even though it's nothing to do with the railways it answered the basic idea of working where safety was a feature.

What I'm trying to say is even if you don't have railway experience take whatever you've got and apply it. All they needed here was to know I had a basic understanding of safety but I fitted in a bit about following procedure as well which they liked even more.

ZombieLaydee

Not sure how helpful this advice is but I used the STAR method to answer each question in an interview I went for.

So when asked a question answer in 4 parts. 1. Situation 2. Task 3. Action 4. Result

I was offered a job at Network Rail as track inspection operative (sadly turned down after offer due to change in circumstances shortly after)

But if you can apply anything to it using STAR it's better than nothing. I went with:

Interviewer panel - "Tell us about a time you had to work with a safety critical setting" (paraphrased some what as an example)

My answer:

Working with the industrial dishwasher which runs at a temperature of 80 degrees
I followed the instruction and safety cards printed above the dishwasher to make sure I didn't burn myself by following the procedure on the cards on draining the dishwasher and running a cool down first. (action)
This meant I didn't burn myself or my college who was working at the other side. (result)
If I had opened up to start cleaning before draining and cool down then 80 degree hot water would have sprayed out of the machine and burned myself and my colleague. (result, cont.)

That is a very basic idea - but even though it's nothing to do with the railways it answered the basic idea of working where safety was a feature.

What I'm trying to say is even if you don't have railway experience take whatever you've got and apply it. All they needed here was to know I had a basic understanding of safety but I fitted in a bit about following procedure as well which they liked even more.
This is by far the best advice you will get. NR use this style of interview but so do many TOCS. If you happen to be applying for TFW I can almost guarrantee this is how they will do it because its half NR staff over there anyway.

Jjamie

Guys thank you so so so much for all your advice I got my interview date and it’s at the start of next month, I have a rough idea of the questions from when I was there last time (provided they haven’t changed them) I’m feeling hopeful this time but I’m not going to get my hopes up if that makes sense lol

sharrp

My answer:

Hi leo I have a Track Inspection interview.
any further advice for me??

Romsey

Viewed from the other side of the desk.....
There can still be a bit of bias against railway enthusiasts at whatever level within the railway. Don't make too much of the fact that you are interested in railways, unless it brings in added value in people or technical skills. ( Volunteer booking clerk or a public facing safety role would be good.)
Volunteering shows a level of commitment which can transfer to your work, whether it's coordinating the local volunteer social mini bus workings to digging out ditches in your local nature reserve or managing a local museum.
Try to be relaxed and confident. If you don't know the answer to a question, say so and ask how you could find the answer. It shows you want to learn.
Remember the interviewing panel are a bit nervous as well, if they appoint a numpty member of staff they are stuck with them for some time.....

ZombieLaydee

Viewed from the other side of the desk.....
There can still be a bit of bias against railway enthusiasts at whatever level within the railway. Don't make too much of the fact that you are interested in railways, unless it brings in added value in people or technical skills. ( Volunteer booking clerk or a public facing safety role would be good.)
Volunteering shows a level of commitment which can transfer to your work, whether it's coordinating the local volunteer social mini bus workings to digging out ditches in your local nature reserve or managing a local museum.
Try to be relaxed and confident. If you don't know the answer to a question, say so and ask how you could find the answer. It shows you want to learn.
Remember the interviewing panel are a bit nervous as well, if they appoint a numpty member of staff they are stuck with them for some time.....

It depends whos interviewing you. HR love enthusiasts but hiring managers often dont. My colleagues dont usually think highly of enthusiasts. Its much more commonplace and accepted amongst signallers than it is for us on the ground. Additionally be prepared for your passion for rail to die its either that or your job becomes your life and you never ever switch off. I dont sell it well but I do love it.

sharrp

It depends whos interviewing you. HR love enthusiasts but hiring managers often dont. My colleagues dont usually think highly of enthusiasts. Its much more commonplace and accepted amongst signallers than it is for us on the ground. Additionally be prepared for your passion for rail to die its either that or your job becomes your life and you never ever switch off. I dont sell it well but I do love it.

you guys have any advice for me? got my competency interview for track inspection opp in a couple days feeling a bit nervous.

ZombieLaydee

you guys have any advice for me? got my competency interview for track inspection opp in a couple days feeling a bit nervous.
Again the STAR method is the key. I would strongly advise you look into health and safety as well. Talk about why its important on the railway. What would you do if you saw someone doing something unsafe. Think of an example of when youve challenged someone's safety. Could be as simple as asking a mate to put a seatbelt on. Look up network rails key values. Safety Critical, Lifesaving Rules, Putting passengers first are key terms that will help you through the HR part. Make sure you know what they are and find every opportunity to mention them and any others you come across. Thats probably more help than I should give Good luck!

sharrp

Again the STAR method is the key. I would strongly advise you look into health and safety as well. Talk about why its important on the railway. What would you do if you saw someone doing something unsafe. Think of an example of when youve challenged someone's safety. Could be as simple as asking a mate to put a seatbelt on. Look up network rails key values. Safety Critical, Lifesaving Rules, Putting passengers first are key terms that will help you through the HR part. Make sure you know what they are and find every opportunity to mention them and any others you come across. Thats probably more help than I should give Good luck!
thanks mate!!

Leo555

Hi leo I have a Track Inspection interview.
any further advice for me??

Hi sharrp

There were 3 on the panel at my interview - 1 from HR and 2 from the site.

All very friendly, one thing to be mindful of is that they asked me at the end if I had any questions for them.

I would think of something in advance to ask them, try to turn in into an opportunity to further show interest. Especially for the yard your interviewing for - though like ZombieLaydee said:
HR love enthusiasts but hiring managers often dont

ZombieLaydee knows better than I do as I never got to work in the yard but I think its excellent advice and I would be sure to not start asking about Trains. Remember they're only interested in the track. So show an interest in the track as much as possible.

One other thing, I was asked some general questions as well, it could be basic things like what would be a danger when working on the track. Try to not over think it but the answer is obvious and that is that trains would be the biggest danger.

No trick questions, but just think logically and take a few moments to answer as you go, if you need to. They're not going to be impressed by someone who gives any answer straight away as opposed to someone who took a few seconds to deliberate and gave a more thoughtful answer.

Best of Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.