• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest123

Hi I’ve recently applied with colas for a rail grinding job as an operator and fitter, it got to the stage where I was offered an interview, I wanted to be honest so I told them about an issue with my left eye, I have lazy eye so the vision in that eye is blurred I can see through it but reading through this eye is a struggle however the vision in my right eye is 20/20 so with both eyes open I’m fine, I currently work for rolls royce as a TIG welder and sheet metal worker reading from
Drawings etc so I’ve had to
Pass a medical aswel
As an eye test with no issues, I’ve had a call from
Colas today saying I wouldn’t pass the medical so my interview has been cancelled, I could understand if I was applying for a driving job because I know there’s strict rules on eye sight, my mate works on rail he said it’s just colas being funny about it basically I wondered if it’s a thing or if it is just colas being funny? Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sounds rough but the amount of applicants for various roles mean if there is even a whiff of a reason why they shouldn’t hire you in this industry they will probably reject you

My advise is let the process sort you out, honesty is a morally good process but for next time just attend the medical and let them decide if you can do the job

Again sorry this happened it’s sucky but it’s common

Rockhopper

If you are working on track and you have trouble with your peripheral vision to the left which I imagine you would if your left eye is bad then you might just miss seeing something thats about to hit you. Colas just won't want to take the risk that something like that might happen.
I'm guessing but i suspect its something along those lines.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I also have a lazy eye, when I had my medical for BR in 1982, I was told that I could not work near a running line because of it

Applepie356

You probably should have kept quiet until your medical, you just gave them a reason to dismiss your application without even giving you a chance to be looked at by a Doctor.

Only Doctors will know whether you are fit for the job or not.

Forest123

Yeh I did think about just seeing how I went on but it was playing on my mind, my peripheral vision is fine I’ve boxed in the past and was able to avoid right hooks lol at worst I struggle reading with it but it’s their loss I’m still game fully employed I was just looking for a change

CJK64

I doubt if the issue with your eye was a factor, as you can hold a PTS with restrictions.
I’d imagine the latest news regarding capital delivery cutting 31% of workforce was more of a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.