• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em&em41

Hi, I’ve just recently applied for Go Northeast online and I'm having an interview via zoom on 21st. Could anyone please enlighten me on what to expect please? This concerns the types of questions they were given, and hints on answers they responded with. I’m looking for a change of career. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorry you have had no replies. It's a long time since I had an interview so I have held back hoping someone with more experience would chime in.

It's worth reading the threads on here to learn a bit about how the industry operates and GNE in particular.

Drop in stuff like customer focused, punctuality, emphasize that you are rarely late, good people skills. They are likely to give you examples of problems you might encounter, difficult customers (always use customers, not passengers and definitely not punters!) for example, or people complaining about you being late.

Have they been clear on your hourly rate and other things like shift length and conditions? If you really need the job I wouldn't push too hard at the interview but you need to know stuff like this before you are committed. They appear deliberately vague on things like this now.

There is a joke in the industry that 3 people turn up late for a job interview and the first thing the manager says is "when can you start?"

In fact I have stopped telling people I have a PCV licence as I was sick of being offered work.

Anyway, good luck.

Christophe

Hi, I’ve just recently applied for Go Northeast online and I'm having an interview via zoom on 21st. Could anyone please enlighten me on what to expect please? This concerns the types of questions they were given, and hints on answers they responded with. I’m looking for a change of career. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks

Possibly a bit naughty, but if you have a look on Arriva & Stagecoach websites there are multiple choice scenarios to work through. For the Stagecoach one you need to actually start an application form for the questions (just don't finish it). I can't imagine GNE being much different.

Em&em41

Thanks for your replies. I’ve just been going through Arriva’s scenarios and got 50/70 a few times which is good so hopefully I’ll get something similar to them on interview. I haven’t looked at Stagecoach's yet but I will do later. So for that one you start an application form but don’t submit it, obviously.
Like Geordie driver said I’ll mention what you stated: likes good time keeping, being customer driven or focused etc but I haven’t been told yet of shift patterns or hourly wage.

notadriver

Established Member
Is it really that difficult to get a bus driver job these days? Passing a driver assessment in a van was all I needed to do after having done a very basic English and arithmetic test.

Status
Not open for further replies.