• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview for Route Planning Assistant and they want me to do a Presentation at the interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadendFriend

Hi all

I was delighted to hear back last week that I've secured an interview for a job I applied for with Network Rail as a Route Planning Assistant.

They've done me that this is the interview format

"Please prepare a 10 mins presentation on the “Role of a Route Support Assistant”

Please bring a laptop with your saved presentation and two paper copies of your presentation."

I sent a reply confirming I could attend the interview and asking for a bit more information about what exactly they wanted me to do the presentation on (like am I explaining what I think the role is or explaining why I think I'm suited for the role?)

and was told in the reply

"The presentation is really open ended, you can explain what you think the role is about and then use it as an opportunity to highlight your experience and skills and how they relate to the role."

I'm pretty confused as to what exactly it is they'll be expecting from me as the job specification is pretty vague listing as follows

"Essential
· Knowledge of business planning, commercial and financial management processes and techniques.
· Good analytical skills
· Good interpersonal, influencing, communication and organisation skills

Desirable
· Experience in maintenance management, processes and techniques
· Knowledge of operational railway environment"

I have quite a lot of experience doing data analytics and producing reports in a finance environment but besides that I'm not sure what "business planning" or "commercial & financial management processes" are?

Has anyone got any advice on what I should be learning about to help me do this presentation or what the role entails in a bit more depth?

Also the email also said "The presentation will be followed by a standard Network Rail Capability Based Interview."
Does anyone have any idea what kind of questions I'm likely to be asked in this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevconnor

In a nut shell, sell yourself.

Best advice, consider what style you want as, assuming you can demonstrate all the skills, you need to think how do you make your presentation stand out. You need to keep it engaging.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Capability is "give an example of..." look up the STAR model and go from there. There will also be a question on safety so think of situations where that is important and maybe search about the NR lifesaving rules.

Rockhopper

As it’s listed as an essential skill they’ll expect you to know all about it and be able to talk about it with some degree of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.