• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview or assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeordieO

Hello all,

I was just wondering if TOCs pay more attention to the interview, or assessment for certain roles (and whether they are weighted differently?)

Unfortunately I didn't complete my task I was set, but I felt the interview went well. This was for a job involving rosters in case that helps with determining which aspect they would prioritise.

Thank you in advance for any comments which can shed light on this, as I don't know how to feel right now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

Can't speak for every TOC but I'd be surprised if they say one thing is more important than another really. There's reasons the elements of the recruitment process are there really.

I suppose it doesn't matter what order they have the process but if you don't pass one you don't get to the other.....unless you do it all in a day but even then I wouldn't of thought it mattered if you excelled in the interview but failed the psychometric testing a fail is a fail..... especially with the numbers they have to pick from.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but I'd be surprised if they show massive levels of leniency....it's generally black and white.

GeordieO

I think this was a little different to 'normal' assessments judging from other threads on here.

I had a 2 hour slot, comprising of a 45 minute interview and a 75 minute task. I don't think it was a case of passing one to do the other - it seemed that this was an all in one assessment.

Because of this I am hoping they will still consider people who came close to finishing the task as long as they showed the right skills and relevant examples in the interview?

Established Member
I think this was a little different to 'normal' assessments judging from other threads on here.

I had a 2 hour slot, comprising of a 45 minute interview and a 75 minute task. I don't think it was a case of passing one to do the other - it seemed that this was an all in one assessment.

Because of this I am hoping they will still consider people who came close to finishing the task as long as they showed the right skills and relevant examples in the interview?
Unfortunately that's not how it works.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Often tests such as these are designed such that very few people will actually finish everything in the time available. So the fact that you didn't finish does not mean you automatically failed, as long as you did well on the parts you did finish.

Red1980

Yeah unfortunately at someone else posted, most tests are designed that unless you're superman most won't finish them anyway they're looking for accuracy.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Georgie

Am I in order to ask you which job you applied to?

I applied for the role of Roster Clerk based in Manchester with Network Rail a couple of months back but didn't get passed the paper sift.

CJ

GeordieO

Yeah unfortunately at someone else posted, most tests are designed that unless you're superman most won't finish them anyway they're looking for accuracy.

Well I certainly hope there are no supermen out there otherwise they would probably get the nod if they finished the whole test!

Georgie

Am I in order to ask you which job you applied to?

I applied for the role of Roster Clerk based in Manchester with Network Rail a couple of months back but didn't get passed the paper sift.

CJ

This one was for Grand Central.

Red1980

Well I certainly hope there are no supermen out there otherwise they would probably get the nod if they finished the whole test!

This one was for Grand Central.

Hahahah I'm sure you did well mate don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.