• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview policy at Network rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan4ad

Hi everyone!

I hope you can help me with my question?

I've got an internal job interview with Network rail. So far, so good.

The problem is my Line manager asks me to use an annual leave to attend the interview. So I've been digging in My Connect for more information and company policies and practices regarding internal interviews, no luck so far. Rang direct HR for help and they could not answer me black and white.

My point is this is company matter/business therefore you should be paid while you attending internal interviews.

Thank for your help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SignallerJohn

I don’t think you have to use your AL for it, I’ve never heard that happening where I work.

ChrisRS

I was actually given a days annual leave back for having an interview on the same day, annual leave was booked prior.

Talking nonsense I reckon.

Dan4ad

Thanks for the quick replies!

It really helps as I can't find anything regarding attending internal interviews.

My boss policy is to let you go and pay the first interview and then use your annual leave for all other interviews, some colleagues have used 5-6 days for attending internal interviews.

I've got upcoming signaller interview and he said they can't let me go to attend the interview, although I have given him 13 day notice to find cover or amend the roster and release me from duty.

And when I hear or read the phrase "on manager discretion" make me feel helpless and bullyed. I fell no support whatever from the management regarding career development.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I've got upcoming signaller interview and he said they can't let me go to attend the interview, although I have given him 13 day notice to find cover or amend the roster and release me from duty.

I've never known anyone have difficulty getting released for interview internally. What's the hiring manager saying about it?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

It really helps as I can't find anything regarding attending internal interviews.

My boss policy is to let you go and pay the first interview and then use your annual leave for all other interviews, some colleagues have used 5-6 days for attending internal interviews.

And when I hear or read the phrase "on manager discretion" make me feel helpless and bullyed. I fell no support whatever from the management regarding career development.

That does seem difficult - perhaps mention this to HR directly and that you are being prevented from taking an internal interview? It's one thing to say you have to take AL (not great but manageable), its another to request it in good time and have effectively been blocked. No wonder people (not just in the railway) go "sick" when they have an interview... Perhaps mention it to the hiring manager/interviewer and explain the situation?

Dan4ad

I've never known anyone have difficulty getting released for interview internally. What's the hiring manager saying about it?
I've not contacted the hiring manager and I'm not planning to get in touch as it will be awkward to do before the interview.
I've told my manager and supervisor that I am attending the interview whether they like it or not, as I'm almost convinced they're in the wrong.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've not contacted the hiring manager and I'm not planning to get in touch as it will be awkward to do before the interview.
I've told my manager and supervisor that I am attending the interview whether they like it or not, as I'm almost convinced they're in the wrong.

That's of course your call, but the hiring manager might be able to speak directly to your manager and come to an understanding.

Trackman

Established Member

Before I give any words of advice, are you already a signaller?
No problems if you don't want to say.
It's something I used to deal with.

Dan4ad

Hi Trackman!
No I'm not a signaller, I'm part of Off track maintenance.
My other argument with the manager is that he want me to rearrange

Trackman

Established Member
Hi Trackman!
No I'm not a signaller, I'm part of Off track maintenance.
My other argument with the manager is that he want me to rearrange
When he says he wants you to re-arrange does that means there is no availability, but could find it if you booked a holiday?

I have never heard of this before.
I would email recruitment [email protected] and see what they say. The phone number just puts you through to main HR helpline.
TBH, it really needs to go to a HR business partner for a definitive answer, which recruitment should do if they don't know the answer.

WestRiding

Hi everyone!

The problem is my Line manager asks me to use an annual leave to attend the interview. So I've been digging in My Connect for more information and company policies and practices regarding internal interviews, no luck so far. Rang direct HR for help and they could not answer me black and white.

My point is this is company matter/business therefore you should be paid while you attending internal interviews.

Thank for your help
Absolutely not. You get the day for Internal Interview. Get the Union involved if any problems.

Alex1971

Hi everyone!

Thank for your help
You get the day pal, no need for leave. I know as I have had a few internal interviews and have one this coming week. Get your local HR and union contacts on the case if your line manager is being awkward.

Qball

You should just tell rosters they should just book you off for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.