• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Into Southend one way and out the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't find it in the searches.

1.What if I want to go on a Saturday or Sunday to Southend Central from Fenchurch St and return from Southend Victoria to Liverpool St or vice-versa. Is there a cheaper way than two singles?

2. Same question, but I have a Z6 Travelcard.

Thanks

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
A Boundary Zone 6 to Southend Stations Off Peak Day Return costing 11.60 without railcard.

There is no equivalent for London Terminals - All tickets from London have specific destination SOuthend Central or Southend Victoria.

johnnychips

Established Member
A Boundary Zone 6 to Southend Stations Off Peak Day Return costing 11.60 without railcard.

There is no equivalent for London Terminals - All tickets from London have specific destination SOuthend Central or Southend Victoria.

That was quick. Reason was today/yesterday at Fenchurch St I asked for 'a Boundary 6 to Southend day return'. I got an £8.40 day return from Upminster. Should I have been more specific?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That was quick. Reason was today/yesterday at Fenchurch St I asked for 'a Boundary 6 to Southend day return'. I got an £8.40 day return from Upminster. Should I have been more specific?

Possibly. The clerk probably thought he was doing you a favour selling a cheaper ticket. Had you explained that you wanted to return the other way then hopefully he should have given you what you actually asked for.

dzug2

Odd

I'm sure that last year sometime I bought an off peak day return at Liverpool Street from London terminals to Shoeburyness, route any permitted, and travelled out via Shenfield and back to Fenchurch Street. No problems at either Victoria or Central or from the gripper on the train. The route appeared in the journey planner.

However I can't replicate it today. Has the validity changed?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Odd

I'm sure that last year sometime I bought an off peak day return at Liverpool Street from London terminals to Shoeburyness, route any permitted, and travelled out via Shenfield and back to Fenchurch Street. No problems at either Victoria or Central or from the gripper on the train. The route appeared in the journey planner.

However I can't replicate it today. Has the validity changed?

Shoeburyness is a member of Southend Group.

London Group - Southend Group is permitted on map EA or TS.

EA: London Liverpool Street - Romford - Shenfield - Southend Group
TS: London Fenchurch Street - C2C Lines - Southend Group

London Liverpool Street - Romford - Upminster - Southend Group (36.5 miles) is also permitted as it is no more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route (35.75 miles). (I have discounted the distance between Southend Central and Shoeburyness as the conclusion is the same regardless.)

The routes you described above are both valid, still.

If you couldn't replicate it literally today it could possibly to down to the originally planned engineering works between Barking and Upminster. The work was cancelled but the online timetables might not have been amended.

Ivo

Established Member
Regarding the original point, one option is to buy the ticket from somewhere just beyond the London Terminals station group, such as Essex Road. From there it is possible to buy a return to Southend Stns. However, it is far more expensive than opting for the Boundary Zone ticket.

I would have answered the other point but I knew bb21 would beat me to it (I only found this thread by spying on him in this first place :lol:). I had the same problem from thorpe Bay not so long ago. All the evidence suggests it is an error.

Also permitted is travelling via Emerson Park when going from Fenchurch Street to Central, and also both routes on the Tilbury loop. Plenty of options out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.