• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introduction ICE 4 in Berlin, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps one of the most interesting things with a train that is basically an evolution of what went before is that there will be space for 8 bicycles. Previously, ICE trains did not accept them at all.

Does this and the introduction of the ICx spell the end of loco hauled IC's in Deutschland?

Last edited:
Yep, they're pretty classy trains although it's a bit weird to describe something that is c.2 year's late as 'on time'.... Interiors are very quiet, ride quality excellent although they have put slightly more seats in than early ICEs so a bit less space and what feel to be smaller windows so feels a little claustrophobic inside....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What's the logic behind a maximum speed of 250km/h, rather than previous ICE types of 320km/h and above?
Has a compromise been necessary for some reason, as in some of the high-speed trains in Spain?

I see from this that they are to run initially on the Hamburg-Hannover-Fulda-Munich route: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...inter-city-train-for-the-gigabit-society.html
I will be using the southern half of this route next month so will keep an eye out!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does this and the introduction of the ICx spell the end of loco hauled IC's in Deutschland?

Other than the hauled IC-Dosto, yes, that's the plan.

The ICE4 *is* the ICx. That probably explains the lower top speed and slightly lower quality interior as well as the bicycle carriage.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
What's the logic behind a maximum speed of 250km/h, rather than previous ICE types of 320km/h and above?
Has a compromise been necessary for some reason, as in some of the high-speed trains in Spain?

I think the Velaros are dedicated to 300km/h routes while these are replacing ICE1, 2 and loco hauled stock. The superior acceleration of these things might outweight the benefit of 300+ on the routes they are bound to serve.

These trains look awesome, inside and out. This is really the future of intercity!

Giugiaro

I'm a bit puzzled because it looks like it is the ICx train and not an evolution of the ICE Highspeed family. Am I wrong on any aspect?

What happened to the ICE Velaro D?

It feels (and sounds) like InterCity being rebranded as Alfa in Portugal, although they "still" (?) have the same InterCity service, but served by EMU's.

AlexNL

Established Member
I'm a bit puzzled because it looks like it is the ICx train and not an evolution of the ICE Highspeed family. Am I wrong on any aspect?
No, you are right. DB have simply rebranded ICx as 'ICE 4'.

In a few years time, the "IC" brand will be reduced to the double deck intercity coaches (IC2) and single deck intercity coaches for international traffic. On domestic services, it'll all be ICE.
What happened to the ICE Velaro D?
Those are entering service, or have already done so.

Established Member
In the longer term it's planned that they will also replace the ICE-1s and ICE-2s. I think a few routes will continue to use the current 70s/80s coaches, such as those which require diesel haulage part of the way. Not to mention the fact that DB have just spent a considerable sum of money refurbishing most of the current stock...

Phil.

Established Member
I hope for their sake that they're more reliable than the German built trains that Eurostar are using. I've heard them described as being as electrically reliable as a 1960's Fiat.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
In the longer term it's planned that they will also replace the ICE-1s and ICE-2s. I think a few routes will continue to use the current 70s/80s coaches, such as those which require diesel haulage part of the way. Not to mention the fact that DB have just spent a considerable sum of money refurbishing most of the current stock...

I noticed last week that whilst many IC coaches have had ICE seating installed, there are still quite a few with the older seating
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hope for their sake that they're more reliable than the German built trains that Eurostar are using. I've heard them described as being as electrically reliable as a 1960's Fiat.

If the new E* sets are like the ICEs used between Frankfurt and Brussels, I can't say I'm surprised

Goldfish62

Established Member

And a very nice job they've done on them as well.

Groningen

Established Member
There are problems with the ICE 4. On certain lines at high speed the passengers get a free massage (vibrations). According to DB safety is not risk; just a lower level of comfort. It seems that the tracks are the cause; not the wheels.

Groningen

Established Member
mdb_245543_db2145_980x490_cp_10x156_990x646.jpg

Source: Deutsche Bahn

IC 2 is just a push-pull doublestock train.

Status
Not open for further replies.