• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introduction of York to Scarborough Northern service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenn1969

Established Member
Coming in May- but with an uneven timetable that has the Northern service leaving York at xx15, 15 mins behind the TPE, then a 45 minute gap

Peter Bonner

Coming in May- but with an uneven timetable that has the Northern service leaving York at xx15, 15 mins behind the TPE, then a 45 minute gap

Is it an extension of the Blackpool to York service to Scarboro?. This isnt the most trustworthy of services atm. Can see it terminating at York on reg basis. Will tickets be interchangeable?

Llandudno

Established Member
Sounds good, only 15 minutes to wait after TPE have cancelled their train!

jayah

On Moderation
Is it an extension of the Blackpool to York service to Scarboro?. This isnt the most trustworthy of services atm. Can see it terminating at York on reg basis. Will tickets be interchangeable?
With 1tph from Liverpool and one from Blackpool, perhaps there will be a fighting chance most hours that at least one will get through?

Staffordian

With 1tph from Liverpool and one from Blackpool, perhaps there will be a fighting chance most hours that at least one will get through?
The Northern service will be a shuttle between York and Scarborough - not an extension of the Blackpool service, so will be insulated from delays elsewhere on the network.

Peter Bonner

The Northern service will be a shuttle between York and Scarborough - not an extension of the Blackpool service, so will be insulated from delays elsewhere on the network.

Presumably Northern get a share of York to Scarboro revenues? If so that cd be the motivation. In summer may be justified but not so sure in wintertime.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

blackfive460

93% PPM at Scarborough in the last 4 weeks... just saying.
The improvement we saw in January was only thanks to the planned cancellation of other services elsewhere. Have a look at the PPM figures for any other month in the last year or so and you'll see a rather different picture!

BoroAndy

With the Scarborough to Hull service too, wonder if they will start a Scarborough depot. After all they will have more trains an hour from there than TPE.

gledhill56

With the Scarborough to Hull service too, wonder if they will start a Scarborough depot. After all they will have more trains an hour from there than TPE.
And give the residents of Scarborough more idling trains to complain about? Probably not

Peter Bonner

I believe all Scarboro Northern services start/end in Hull so no depot at Scarboro (yet). 0533 Hull to Scarboro forms first southbound service.

Until recently-2018-a Northern dmu stayed overnight at Scarboro and TPE drivers and conductors worked on the branch to Hull for Northern early and late.

SuperNova

The improvement we saw in January was only thanks to the planned cancellation of other services elsewhere. Have a look at the PPM figures for any other month in the last year or so and you'll see a rather different picture!

And the majority of those services are now back in the working TT. Performance has remained good, not great, but positively good bar incidents out of TPE's hands.

geoffk

Established Member
Now showing in RTT from May 2020. Use of platform 2 at York will avoid crossing the ECML. Times will be xx15 from York and xx10 from Scarborough. TPE times are xx00 and xx34, probably about the best intervals that can be achieved in view of TPE's longer layover at SCA. Even so the up and down Northern trains are timed only 5 minutes apart at Malton's single platform!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes the timed from Scarborough are near as damn it perfect for 2tph but it is a shame that from York it's not spaced a bit further but still. A big boost to that line. I guess in summer they'll be very popular and useful!

Northern have a pair of 142s at York currently for route learning so I'm quietly confident that this will launch this May.

SHerr

Yes the timed from Scarborough are near as damn it perfect for 2tph but it is a shame that from York it's not spaced a bit further but still. A big boost to that line. I guess in summer they'll be very popular and useful!

Northern have a pair of 142s at York currently for route learning so I'm quietly confident that this will launch this May.

There has been a pacer running on the York to Scarborough line this week so I am assuming the route learning mentioned here has commenced.

now to start the rumours that they are the intended traction!!!

Adam0984

158s running out of Heaton is the current traction. Down from Heaton 2 days on the Scarborough and back to Heaton. In practice who knows what will actually happen

twpsaesneg

There has been a pacer running on the York to Scarborough line this week so I am assuming the route learning mentioned here has commenced.

now to start the rumours that they are the intended traction!!!
Last week too.... was looking wistfully at it when it pulled in while waiting for a cancelled TPE service in the freezing wind!

scarby

I saw 142071 on these training runs this week. For a short period it was on platform 2, A 68 - Mk 5s on platform 1 in service, another 68 + Mk 5s for some reason sitting idle on platform 3 and the Hull/Sheffield service on platform 4. Long time since I've seen the station that busy in March.

Now on Saturdays in summer we'll have the St Pancras service sitting there most of the day, plus the TPE and Northern York line services and the Hull line service. Throw in a Saturday railtour and all 5 platforms could be in use at some moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.