• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introductions

Tulyar

Hi,
I signed up to RailUKforums 2 years ago but what with our last child being born just before that I never really got to pop in.

But now find I have a little more time to indulge in a subject that was close to my heart between 1979-1984.

I doesn't feel like nealy 30 years has passed since I last sat with pad and pen and I'm shocked at the state of the railways I was so enthusiastic about, all the sheds closed all the diesel classes pretty much gone bar a few ugly American brutes and plenty of bland boring ugly multiple units everywhere :cry: this is how Steam enthusiasts must have felt mid 60's !!

Clearly I will be spending my time in the Nostalgia section of the forum :lol: :lol:

Hopefully able to contribute my own Nostalgic threads and to others

Favourite Classes:55,56,47,50,46 in that order
Favourite Sheds: Stratford, Old Oak Common, Finsbury Park, Eastfield

Only downside of this forum is it is blocked by the filter at work, damn you filters !!!

It's good to be back

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ReverendFozz

Been a member here a few years now, I will belatedly introduce myself

Name: David
Nickname: Mista Fozz(it is the way I can get people to call me Mr)

My main interest is buses, especially Go North East, one of my local bus companies, I have a slight interest in trains, but dont really know a great the trains

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Right, seeing as tho I have poked my opinionated nose on here for a purple of days think I better do the decent thing and actually introduce myself!

Name: Dave
Lives: Durham
From: Spennymoor, Helston, Yeovil, Gosport, Tunbridge Wells, Plymouth
so many places? How?: Son of a naval seaman
Job: Train Manager/Guard/Conductor
Transport Interests: Closed routes, abandoned stations, tunnels etc
other interests:Disco and karaoke for hire!
Something I could not live without: my ps3, Badger Ales and Jack Daniels!
What's in my wallet: SCWID, PTS, PRIVS, Crappy One card, club card, boots advantage, other generic store crds for some silly points scheme thing, driving license. No money tho!
What does my name stand for: growing up on the south western main line and in the West Country my earliest days of bashing trains was with class 50's. Rammilies was my earliest recorded "cop"
What do I hate the most: travelling public who have no regard for their travelling companions or for their own safety. Such as boarding while people are still trying to get off, riding bikes on train station platforms, playing music loud through their headphones, excessively drunk, shooting up in the train toilet, no ticket no money have no intention of paying their way, putting their feet up on the seats, throw their mates shoe on to the train roof, pikey scally cable nickin twoccers!
So what do I hate the most?: those individuals that sit there with a smug grin on their face who know and make it clear to me there's nothing I can do about it!
And they will probably be right tell me about it, that sucks!

stock worked HST, mkIV, 220, 221, 158, 185, 141
associated routes Thames Valley, Brighton Main Line, SWML, ECML, TPE North, Weardale Railway
Associated TOC's: VXC, GNER, TPE

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
Right, seeing as tho I have poked my opinionated nose on here for a purple of days think I better do the decent thing and actually introduce myself!

Name: Dave
Lives: Durham
From: Spennymoor, Helston, Yeovil, Gosport, Tunbridge Wells, Plymouth
Job: Train Manager/Guard/Conductor
Transport Interests: Closed routes, abandoned stations, tunnels etc
other interests:[/Disco and karaoke for hire!
Something I could not live without: my ps3, Badger Ales and Jack Daniels!
What's in my wallet: SCWID, PTS, PRIVS, Crappy One card, club card, boots advantage, other generic store crds for some silly points scheme thing, driving license. No money tho!
What does my name stand for: growing up on the south western main line and in the West Country my earliest days of bashing trains was with class 50's. Rammilies was my earliest recorded "cop"
What do I hate the most: travelling public who have no regard for their travelling companions or for their own safety. Such as boarding while people are still trying to get off, riding bikes on train station platforms, playing music loud through their headphones, excessively drunk, shooting up in the train toilet, no ticket no money have no intention of paying their way, putting their feet up on the seats, throw their mates shoe on to the train roof, pikey scally cable nickin twoccers!
So what do I hate the most?: those individuals that sit there with a smug grin on their face who know and make it clear to me there's nothing I can do about it!
And they will probably be right tell me about it, that sucks!

stock worked HST, mkIV, 220, 221, 158, 185, 141
associated routes Thames Valley, Brighton Main Line, SWML, ECML, TPE North, Weardale Railway
Associated TOC's: VXC, GNER, TPE

Welcome along to the site mate! I wish I could've experienced a 50 on the WoE line!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Thre are a few main line registered so it will be possible again assuming the dft don't throw their spanners into the charter market

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Name: Vera.
Home: Hastings
Occupation: Student (though on a gap year, so arranging volunteer work)
Interests: Railways, buses, computer gaming, programming, and psychology.
What my name means: The Gatwick Express has becoming a running in-joke with a couple of friends after inadvertently boarding one by mistake (don't ask) and sending a rather angry text consisting only of "SODDING GATWICK EXPRESS!"
What's in my wallet: 16 - 25 Railcard (without its own holder; six stations in a row had ran out), usual assortment of debit/discount/shop cards, and a clump of old tickets I haven't yet cleared out.

I'm quite a young'un it seems!

Lrd

Established Member
Name: Vera.
Home: Hastings
Occupation: Student (though on a gap year, so arranging volunteer work)
Interests: Railways, buses, computer gaming, programming, and psychology.
What my name means: The Gatwick Express has becoming a running in-joke with a couple of friends after inadvertently boarding one by mistake (don't ask) and sending a rather angry text consisting only of "SODDING GATWICK EXPRESS!"
What's in my wallet: 16 - 25 Railcard (without its own holder; six stations in a row had ran out), usual assortment of debit/discount/shop cards, and a clump of old tickets I haven't yet cleared out.
Welcome!
I'm quite a young'un it seems!
Compared to some on here, you're not that young ;)

newbryford

Finally arrived here after much faffing with disappearring emails.......

Name: Mick
Lives: Lancashire
Job: Hopefully changing people's lives for the better
Transport Interests: Modelling the contemporary railway scene, particularly NWR test trains and BR Standard Steam. The layouts "Blackmill" and "New Bryford" are pretty much my major spare time users
other interests: Cycling - MTB and road, golf, family
Something I could not live without: My modelling workbench
What's in my wallet: Credit cards with a bill and very little cash
What does my name stand for: One of my model railway layouts
What do I hate the most: Modellers who simply paint stuff yellow, put Network Rail transfers on it and then hike it on eBay for silly prices

Cheers,
Mick

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Finally arrived here after much faffing with disappearring emails.......

Name: Mick
Lives: Lancashire
Job: Hopefully changing people's lives for the better
Transport Interests: Modelling the contemporary railway scene, particularly NWR test trains and BR Standard Steam. The layouts "Blackmill" and "New Bryford" are pretty much my major spare time users
other interests: Cycling - MTB and road, golf, family
Something I could not live without: My modelling workbench
What's in my wallet: Credit cards with a bill and very little cash
What does my name stand for: One of my model railway layouts
What do I hate the most: Modellers who simply paint stuff yellow, put Network Rail transfers on it and then hike it on eBay for silly prices

Cheers,
Mick

Welcome to the forum ;)

Name: The Apprentice
Job: Apprentice (Signals)

Hello resident members, I have joined as this seems like a fine place to keep up with current affairs in the industry, and maybe to have a discussion or two as well. Hopefully I can learn a few things and maybe even give others advice too. :)

Johnuk123

Established Member
Name: The Apprentice
Job: Apprentice (Signals)

Hello resident members, I have joined as this seems like a fine place to keep up with current affairs in the industry, and maybe to have a discussion or two as well. Hopefully I can learn a few things and maybe even give others advice too. :)

You're very welcome.

D2022

I'm back baby, thanks to an android dev I can get decent (half decent anyway) access to the forum...go dev teams

W.Tregurtha

Hello people I'm new here. I live in Surrey and am interested in railways and more interestingly how it all works.
I currently work as a self-employed vehicle collection and delivery agent travelling all around the country by rail and bus to collect and deliver cars - and sometimes vans.

mbe40106

Good afternoon everyone,

I have just joined this site around 16:00hrs, and hope the following detail does not bore you to much, so here goes.

Name: Mark
Live in: Maidenhead
Job: Security Industry ( Have worked many varied jobs before this.)

Past Interests: Loco enthusiast from the summer of 1977 to around 1985, to be honest I lost interest in Loco's mainly, because they were scrapping all of the best Loco's, this hit home when I traveled around Swindon, Toton in Derby, Tinsley in Sheffield, Crew Works, Manchester Reddish and other scrap yards.
I thought then that that was enough and moved on, however I traveled extensively around the UK, sleeping rough in an APT in Glasgow, at Stations all over the place, viewed and walked some great scenery, Walked around so many Depots, took chances, walked along many miles of track in the dark of night with a traveling friend.
Had plenty & I mean plenty of laughs....Boy did we Laugh, met & spoke to many other enthusiasts at various day time and the late hours of the night and had many good conversations. . . . .

MY FAVORITE LOCOS WERE ARE: Class 24/25/26/27/31's/especially fond of 37's wow what a sound when pulling all of that coal through Cardiff Station, that Station was so busy with double headers at full throttle Fantastic!!!!
IN LEAGUE WITH 37' CLASS WERE Class 40's now they are something else, then comes the PEAKS 44's and viewed most of these in service and at TOTON in DERBY, Class 45's When I used to go to St Pancras Station and saw these monster loco's of up to 150 tons come into the Station and move the tracks, that was amazing to see such engineering in action and, boy do they sound good, Class 46's were great and were quite regular visitors along the Great Western region.
I was annoyed about the fact that I just missed the Westerns in action, as the HST's took over most of their services from the beginning of 1977.
Last but never least Class 55's I was never Hauled by one but, that could change as they preserved 6 of them plus the prototype.

OTHER INTERESTS: In 1988 I then became a motorcyclist a number of Motorcycles: Kawasaki AR125 / GPZ 500 / Honda CBR1000, another CBR1000 / then Honda PAN European ST1100 / Goldwing GL1500 (second hand) then a KLE500 enduro and finally a Brand new fully dressed Honda Goldwing anniversary edition GL1500. after which due to my Mother becoming disabled I then purchased my first Car of which I still have VW Golf GTI MK3 well looked after.

moved into my first home in April 2008 and have been busy and patient in getting the decorating and furnishings right.

I am now into Audio Visual and an Audiofile who gets great pleasure in mostly listening to great music. CD / MD / SACD / DTS sound CD'S.
I study the Bible and seek absolute truth from within it's pages and, have Bibles going as far back as 1597.
I research with what is going on within the Societies of this World ect.., those that think they have power have in fact very little. . . . .How empty they are inside.

Have had many struggles of which every person has a unique story to tell and I am a good listener.

There are many other things I could write but am sure this is enough.
I shall gradually little by little get around to reading some of your threads but this all takes time.

Thank you for reading and all the best to you all,
I shall hopefully correspond at some stage and shall look forward to that.

Sincerest Regards

Mark

Last edited:

lynni

Land of Cheese,Cider and The Mendip Hills!
Name-Lynni/Lyn

Age-48

From-W-s-M,Somerset

Job-Chef

Hobbies-reading,walking-specially up around my beloved Mendip Hills,driving my 'baby' Mercedes(A-Class),the paranormal-which led me here after searching for Haunted Railways!

I have a very dry/sarcastic sense of humour-often referred to as a warped one too <D

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Weston huh? I was supposed to go there last Friday but badly overslept and saw my plan collapse. I still haven't been on an Enviro400 X1 (i.e. the buses introduced to the route about a year ago) either :|

Welcome to all the new folks.

daddy_badger

Greetings

Name: Daddy Badger aka The Badger aka Pumpkin Eater
Job: Not railway related - Operations Analyst for a huge logistics company
Interests: Cycling, swimming, playing(learning) guitar, family and friends
What does my name stand for: Adopted from my mother-in-law, to this day I do not know why.
Aspirations: I have two choices really, electrician or a career within the rail industry.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Noswaith Da

Name: Llanigraham.
Job: a signalman.
Interests: Beer, cars, rallying, narrow gauge railways.

NSE

Established Member
Well I've been a member for ages now, I'm sure some of you recognize my online presence, but I figured I'd actually do this.

Name: NSE
In my wallet: Debit Card, Oyster, Uni Card, I.D.
Interests: Railways (not that anyone other than family and two closest friends know), Music, Food, Traveling, hanging out with the lads, usual young adult stuff.
Couldn't live with out: any of my guitars, but particularly my Jackson Js30KV and Ibanez ARZ307. To be honest, I'd say guitars are easily my biggest interest, I love them. So if we have any guitarists on here (I've yet to encounter any) I'm always up for a discussion :)

tinowrx

Happy Easter everyone ;)

Name: Steve
Lives: Bucks
Job: Structures examiner on LNW south
Whats in my wallet: Some change for all my cups of tea ;)
Interests: Railways, cycling, swimming and rallying

Ensign Elliott

Name: Rob
Lives: Lichfield, Staffordshire
Job: Accountant/Events Co-ordinator
Interests: Railways, Military and Railway Modeling (00 and N), Wargaming, Fencing, Shooting, Riding, Historical Re-enactment - 18th/19th Century, Visiting Preserved Railways, Military History

Hi all. My Dad is a train driver (currently with XC) so I've been brought up with railways and thus had an interest in them from an early age. Due to having a free rail pass for the whole network for the first 20 years of my life, I've managed to track bash virtually all of the rail network with the exceptions of the South East and some of the Scottish lines - a most upsetting day when I became too old to be a "dependent" and thus had to give up the pass :( I'm a keen railway modeller with 00 and N layouts set in Cornwall in 1944 and spend my time juggling my many hobbies. Anyway, looking forward to taking part in some discussions and learning some interesting stuff.

Cheers

Rob

High Dyke

Established Member
Thought it was time i did this.

Name: Andy
Username: High Dyke
Age: Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!
Previous Life: Bus Aimer
Dislikes: People who tell me what i should like, or think i should like.

madmack37

NAME mark hall
AGE 20 going on 21
OCCUPATION voulnteer at the local charity shop
INTERESTS railways 1;76, 1;148 & 1;1, model kit making mostly 1;76 ww2 planes but currently making a 1;24 harrier, watching speedway, watching tv, playing computer games,
LIKES food, pepsi max, trainspotting, sleeping & many more thinks
DISLIKES not much
WHATS IN MY WALLET game reward card, 2 game gift cards, a picture of bamburgh castle, some buisness cards for local model shops, some pieces of paper, a ticket from the east lancs railway & a train ticket

mark

AntoniC

Name : Antoni Chmielowski but prefer to be called Toni (yes I know its the girls spelling but I am male !).
Occupation : Civil Servant (not saying which department !) always been at the same grade, but have different jobs over the last 25 years.
Interests : Wargaming ( I help run http://www.theblitz.org), Military History, reading and surprisingly trains !
Likes : Supporting my beloved Liverpool Football Club (season ticket holder now for 18 years), pizza, enjoying myself !.
Dislikes : Smokers, rude & arrogant people !.
Whats in my wallet my Merseytravel All Zones Trio Pass (without which I couldnt get to work in Liverpool & which I renew annually with an interest free loan from work, my bank card, my PCS Union card and other bits of tat !.

Toni

Name: Neil Whyte
Username: Whyte Hayven
Height: 5 foot 10 inches, I think - not checked my height for years - never needed to!
Weight: Too bloody heavy - I really should loose about 5-6 stone!
Location: S.W. Nottigham, but moved down from Whitehaven, W. Cumbria (hence my handle)
Marital Status: Divorced - cost me a bloody fortune, but it was worth it! Currently have a girlfriend.
Job: Theatre Technician at the Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham. Gets me well away from the ex!
Dislikes: Tories, the Establishment, cars and car drivers, bosses
Music: Rock Music that stems from the 1970's. Punk passed me by!
Things I Couldn't Live Without: Air, chips, meatfeast pizzas
In My Wallet: £40, about 6 old bank cards to stop my current bank card from splitting - it's happened twice, my debit card and a couple of counterfoils for my bus pass and a condom (well, you never know!!!!!!!!!)
Last Journey On A Train: St. Pancras - Nottingham last week, after a train holiday (with Treyn of York) in Vienna, Prague & Berlin.
Current railway project - trying to accurately track down the old railways in/around Nottingham, especially the 3 lines up from Nottingham towards Mansfield. My methodology leaves a lot to be desired!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Hello all.

Real name : not telling, because it's bad enough being stopped in the shops by dear old ladies who say "oh, get away luv, you're that man off the tele, aren't you."

Teaser : I made a brief appearance with Clarkson, Needell and Willson.

Current location : Hampshire

Mountain or beach : Mountain

Sectorisation or Privatisation : Sectorisation

Track-bashing or number-clearing : Track. Preferably with head and torso out of the window at the time too.

Avatar : schooner, Gulf of Mexico, Thanksgiving 2010, facing west, a bottle and a half of rum quaffed and nowhere near shore...

Last edited:

Wizzy79

Greetings

Name: Minty (Old Nickname, apparently look like Minty from Eastenders)
Job: Author
Interests: Writing, talking, speaking and travelling
Aspirations: Hoping for early retirement