• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introductions

Henbury Loop

Hi

My name is Oliver (Oli to my friends), i have always had a keen interest in railways but very much as a secondary interest as my main passion was for classic MG/Austin/Rover/BL/Triumph cars.

After a few years serving on the car club committee and eventually deciding i no longer enjoyed it at all i found my interest in railways growing far stronger.

I'm not quite sure where it took off, perhaps it was whilst eating my lunch watching the trains pass the level crossing at Avonmouth?

Or was it in my teens passing the level crossing in Iron Acton, hoping, wishing, praying that they would come down and i would see a train pass.....

Name: Oliver
Lives: South Gloucestershire
Local station: Pilning PIL
Job: Driver - Accident Management
Transport interests: Classic cars and railways
Other interests: Pets, exploring.
Favourite TOPs: GWR (as they are now known!)
Favourite classes: 150, 66.
Favourite stations: Severn Beach SVB, Bristol Temple Meads BRI, Avonmouth AVN and finally Winterbourne (closed:()
Something I could not live without: My family and friends, embarrassingly my mobile phone.....
Whats in my wallet: Driving licence, 3x debit cards, no credit cards (my credit score is so poor i sometimes have trouble paying with cash!), £50 in love2shop vouchers that i won at work, a family photo, 3x fuel cards for work!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

96tommy

Name: Tommy
Live: London (E1), from York though
Job: Student
Likes: York City, Trains, Photography, Music, Keith Lowe, Danny Parslow
Music: Muse, Radiohead, Blur
In my Wallet: Oyster Card, 16-25 Railcard, Bank Cards, NUS Card, CoachCard, York v Wimbledon ticket from Saturday

Astraman

Hi, I joined yesterday and just wanted to say hello to all members.Hope i am posting in the right place.

Last edited:

Astraman

Hi there Tony and thanks for the welcome,its nice to hear from you.I hope things are going well in sunny Kentucky woods for you. Best wishes. Ted(Astraman)

Pakenhamtrain

I joined over a year ago but never got around to posting here.

I'm Brad and I'm an Aussie from Melbourne. As my username suggests I'm on the Pakenham line.

My main intrests in no particular order:
Public transport. Mainly railways but do get a bit into the trams and buses side of things
Aussie rules. I'm a paid up member for the St Kilda saints.
Cricket. The Aussie team and the Melbourne Stars in the BBL.
I do watch the EPL (Go for Arsenal) and the NRL (Go for St George Illawarra)

My favourite train would have to be the NSW trainlink V sets.

Amberk

Hiiii!
I'm Amber
Sheffield
First foray into the world of trains
Electrician/gritter driver/highways operative
Applied for the depot driver job at EMT

Established Member
Welcome to the forum, Amber and Brad.

Best of luck with your EMT job application, Amber. I'm planning to apply for a job on the railways (guard or driver, don't really mind!) myself in the next couple of years, if things go to plan. Let us know how you get on. :)

Amberk

Thank you. I saw in the post discussing the job that we should hear Friday or Monday. So fingers crossed.

CromptonLad

Hi folks, first time really gotten involved with the 'railway fraternity' as have always [apart from a poor experience as a volunteer] stayed pretty much as a solo goer. Based in Birmingham, working in the transport industry elsewhere but looking to secure a dream job on the railways.

Outside of work am mostly a steam fan but the Western Region and Crompton 33s am a massive fan of.

andywandy

feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Hey everyone my names andy

I'm a long time lurker who never posted before till I had some issues with northern rail.

I use the trains a lot to visit my girlfriend so I thought i'd make an account to join in with all the fun

NY Yankee

My name is Leonard Wilson. I'm a lawyer (barrister) in the States. I previously joined the forum in 2012. However, I was a bit overzealous in my love of London. I constantly made comparisons between the UK and the States and it was bloody annoying to many people. This time around, I'll tone it down.

Besides the Tube, I like the Paris Metro and Washington DC Metro. I love the Shinkansen (Bullet Train), TGV, ICE, and Thalys.

My favorite hobbies are playing the viola, working out, photography, and watching American football and basketball.

AJM580

Thought it high time I joined this forum. I've found it quite informative on the new developments going on and for diagrams etc.

Name: Andrew Monaghan

Home: Norwich - a fine city

Interests: Railways (of course), Rugby (thanks to my Welsh dad)

Favorite Classes: 55, 50, 37 (notice the theme!!)

Favourite railway station (other than Norwich), Exeter St Davids

Music likes, U2, Jean-Michel Jarre,

What got me into railways? Always had memories of visiting Bressingham, NNR etc, but didn't take up serious spotting until 1980, when I visited friends who had similar interests - it all snowballed from there.

Best thing about railways - Classic loco thrash,

Worst thing about the railways - TOC's shooting themselves in the foot with media gaffes

Steveman

Hi Steveman here live near Crewe have watched this site since it started so thought I'd get round to registering.

Will post more when I get round to it.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Thought i'd create a little thread just explaining a bit about me and why i'm on this forum.

I've now been on this forum for 2 years today and this is my 1000th post. Thought it was something special, so would post a message.

I mostly follow First bus and a couple of local small operators. I'm not really a typical enthusiast and I have no idea where I got an interest in buses from. The closest person in my family that I can think of that was interested in transport was my greatgrandfather who was a steam train driver. I have no connections at all to the bus industry and shouldn't have any real reason why i'm so interested in buses. So I was quite surprised at myself when i took an interest in First bus.

In my school years I had taken an interest to the local coach companies. I could tell which coach was which, I could see the differences in the registration plates, I could tell when any small changes were made to each coach and most of all I enjoyed engaging with the drivers. Some of whom were brilliant characters. It led me to be enthusiastic about heading to school and home again. During school I also met the future owner of Citistar and Mr Somerbus.

I had started to use First a bit towards the end of school. I can remember seeing a 375 go past our stop everyday heading to Bildgwater on a B7. I also remember a time when I was waiting for a 376 to Wells and the bus went straight past with not in service and as I was rather young at the time, I made a rather rude gesture to the driver on that step dart. The driver still works in Wells. I remember my first journey to Bath by bus - 376 to Wells and then 173 to Bath. I think the driver who did 173 that time is now one of the controllers in Wells (might be wrong though). Doing that trip pushed me into going on further day trips and when it came time to go to college at Street and Bristol (both at the same time - was going from Street to Bristol two days a week and getting home about 22.00 ish), I took up residence on First bus and started to explore 376 and the other services.

I would usually use 375 to Wells in the afternoon and then 376 to Bristol. Every so often I would have to go just into Bristol, so would usually end up on 379 (from Shepton to Bristol then). I was getting incredibly interested in the different types of buses in our area. In the second year of college I could even tell the smallest of differences between each of the B7s. I picked up the different fleet numbers and could tell what number was for what type. And of course I could tell which buses were crap - I always tried to avoid the 29, as usually it was 42832 or the like or even one of the Varios.

Just before I finished college, the 379 changed, along with 375 and 377. I always and still do think that the way First worked the 376/5/7 and 29 was a brilliant service and that encouraged me to follow First. So when the news came that all this was changing I wasn't particularly in the best of moods. I used the 379 quite often when Wells ran it. It never really picked up many people and at times could be very unreliable. I then started working in Bristol in customer services, usually using 376 each day. I enjoyed the work, I enjoyed the travel and i generally enjoyed work and life. Throughout this time I was beginning to use buses more, beginning to tell the different makes of bus more and travelling more on day trips to all sorts of places.

I then left customer services and started working in Bath, which from Temple Cloud was a struggle initially. There was no 379 early enough, so had to walk to Hallatrow and catch a dart usually on 179. Whilst walking to and from Hallatrow I would often see Mr Somerbus' bus head off to do 175, usually out of service. Got me thinking and emailed Tim to question if he would consider picking me up and I would pay a little extra if needs be. He accepted and of course in his generous nature agreed for me to pay the same rate as everyone else. I enjoyed travelling with them considerably, especially as one of the other drivers used to drive one of the school coaches. Tim told me about the various bits and bobs going on in First and other bus companies. He taught me the different types of buses and he inspired me to basically follow First as an enthusiast. When I left my job in Bath and started at in Bristol again, I ended up once again on First 376 and what was just becoming a new 379 service run by Bath. Now I could tell the differences between buses in more detail and examined each of their timetables and bus allocations in more detail and of course would every so often write to First to express my opinions on their services.

I then wanted to find out more about First and started reading comments on here. At one point something annoyed me on here and therefore registered onto the forum to express my views and opinions. Since then I've been in all sorts of jobs, in all sorts of places and have followed First more closely every single day. I've usually voiced my opinions on here and said what I think of First and every single time someone has corrected me and made me realise each time that i'm ranting and talking utter crap. There are still many things that I feel i'm right on though. I really can't thank people enough on here for putting up with me and for correcting me - it really is appreciated.

So as someone who has grown up now with First and has looked at the way they do things and the changes they make very carefully, i'm now beginning to become less loyal to them, as they continue to listen to the officials and strategists, without listening to their passengers opinions, but more importantly their drivers opinions. It would also be nice for them to consider listening to some of their loyal enthusiasts, but I'm probably assured that that will never happen. I know damn well that whenever I complain to First about the way they run things, they just shun me and say here's that Looney again and I really do wish they would change their ways in that context. Enthusiasts are external stakeholders, just in the same way as passengers, but more interested in what goes on and can advise more on where they fhink that First should go and what they should do. Of course each enthusiast will have a different opinion to the next, but when all the local enthusiasts agree the same thing, it would usually mean that what First is doing is not entirely sensible.

I don't agree in Firsts approach to tackling Webberbus and they are playing with services which hit passengers and more importantly the vulnerable that need to use their services as a lifeline. In Somerset, First really have gone downhill in the last few years and I don't like what they're doing. They aren't even considering their drivers anymore. In Bristol, I have nothing but praise for Mr Freeman and for what they've done - they've turned it around and i'm really proud of it. They're also pushing out Wessex which is another plus. Just wish they'd think more carefully about what they're doing in Somerset though.

I will still follow First (and have never thought of following any other big operator) and really do hope they improve things in our area. I follow them as a bus enthusiast, one which carefully looks at their timetables and bus allocations, rather than someone just taking photos of buses (of which seems to be what everyone thinks a bus enthusiast is).

Thank you for reading and for putting up with me over the past 2 years. I've enjoyed it considerably and will continue on here for years.

Tom.

matt_splat

A great read and I must have passed you many times in the past being picked up by John in the morning driving the 175.

As for first tackling webberbus they might not need to do much apparently the Romania drivers are leaving on mass and they are dropping services all over.

unclefreddy

unclefreddy at your service.

Why did I join? To enter a competition on the Games thread. I'm a rail simmer, bus enthusiast, former rail worker with a passing interest in things railway.

I describe my age as "Old enough to know better, young enough not to care", I was born in good year for English football, although I prefer Rugby. Musically I have a wide and varied taste, but I do have a soft spot for early Ultravox and Roxy Music.

Some random favourites :

Bus : Bristol RE, preferably with a DP Eastern Coachworks body.

Coach : I could say Bristol RE again, but it would have to be Neoplan Skyliner.

Loco Type (Diesel) : Torn here between class 52 Western and class 47.

Loco Type (Steam) : Torn again, anything from Swindon, LBSCR M7, Spamcans. There is also a rather natty narrow gauge Baldwin on the Brecon Mountain Railway that I like.

DMU : I confess. I like Pacers, I have no idea why, but I do.

somename

Name: Greg
Why railways: I like making sense of complex systems - what could be more convoluted?
Preferred train: HST, with 444 a close second

LiftFan

Hello everyone!

Only just realised there was a forum about the railways (I have no idea why I never looked before) and I decided to join it! I have liked railways and trains since I was little, because they give me happy memories of going on trains to go for a family day out, etc.

I started up a YouTube channel called LiftFan too, since I for whatever reason also have an interest in lifts, so I film them and trains. I was one of the first ones to upload a video of the new GWR liveried 150/2s!

I do admit that I don't know everything therefore I will make mistakes sometimes!

Favourite DMU: Class 150/2
Favourite EMU: Class 319
Favourite Tube Stock: 1972TS

Established Member
Hello everyone!

Only just realised there was a forum about the railways (I have no idea why I never looked before) and I decided to join it! I have liked railways and trains since I was little, because they give me happy memories of going on trains to go for a family day out, etc.

I started up a YouTube channel called LiftFan too, since I for whatever reason also have an interest in lifts, so I film them and trains. I was one of the first ones to upload a video of the new GWR liveried 150/2s!

I do admit that I don't know everything therefore I will make mistakes sometimes!

Favourite DMU: Class 150/2
Favourite EMU: Class 319
Favourite Tube Stock: 1972TS

Welcome to the forums, LiftFan. :)

I really like the 319s as well, especially the original batch, but my favourite EMU class has to be the Class 507.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 150/2s, though!

Alex 2901

Figured I might as well do a profile for myself:

Name: Alex

Favourite Bus: Toss up between the MCW Metrobus Mk2 or the DB250LF/Optare Spectra

Favourite DMU: Class 142/0 (Don't shoot me!! Pacers aren't too bad to me)
Favourite EMU: Class 380/1
Least Favourite DMU: Class 170/1
Least Favourite EMU: Class 350/2

Why I like the rails: Because it takes a bloody long time to get everywhere by bus! And I remember sitting on Portobello Bridge when I was young and watching diverted trains passing for Walsall or Birmingham, as well as getting a lot of 150's and 323s as a child when I went to Birmingham.

Malevolti

I woke up this morning dreading my morning commute to work following strike action threatened by the RMT over Connex wanting to change the terms that guards work under and watching the franchise hurtle into the ground over the backlash and then I thought, oh wait, it's 2016 and Southern operate the trains.

Hi, my name is Dom.

Allegheny1600

I'll be honest, I was trying to find new places to publicise my clubs model railway exhibition and I found this site through that hunt BUT, I'm staying because of all the great stuff here! Especially all the foreign stuff!

Name: John Edge

Home: Leigh in Lancashire, UK.

Interests: Railways (real & model, continental European mainly).

Favorite UK Classes: 52, 42/3, 35, 22, 14 (notice the theme!!)

Favourite railway station (UK), Warrington. (EU) Hamburg Damtor.

Music likes: Jethro Tull, any other 'rock' type music and many other genres.

What got me into railways? Dad had a boat, moored on the canal just south of Derby and I used to jump on the roof every time a 'Peak' went past.

Best thing about railways - Classic loco thrash,

Worst thing about the railways - TOC's, government interference, high prices, (nuff said!).

Apologies to AJM580 for stealing his 'format'!

JohnP

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the whole railfan thing -- I know nothing about trains, except that I really enjoy watching them pass through my station (particularly at night :) ). If anyone could point me to some introductory resources that would be great!

I'm based in Leyland, Lancashire, so if there's anyone local I'd be interested in meeting up at the station to watch trains and learn more about them. :)

Looking forward to reading and writing more here on the forum.

John

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Welcome to the forum everyone!
Allegheny1600, just wondering, since you're in Leigh... what do you think of the busway project there so far?
JohnP, I'm no where near you, but feel free to ask me about trains, I know all classes in the North, my favourites are the Pacers (bus-like ones)

http://www.traintesting.com/
This site is a little jumbled, and awkward, but it has info of some trains when they were new. Rail sites aren't very good, and using the dreadedly unreliable Wikipedia is often your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Allegheny1600

Hello GrimsbyPacer,
What a great name!! Yes! Our beloved (mis)guided busway!
TBH, I only saw it in operation yesterday for the first time and it does look rather good, I must admit.
I actually live in a small village just the other side of Leigh to the busway, that's why I've not seen it working before.
It was a lot of money, caused HUGE disruption and quite a lot of bad feeling but we've got it now so that's that.
It also causes quite a bit of amusement on facebook as some idiot car drivers get caught on it, the signs for each junction are pretty bloomin obvious too!
Maybe one day I may use it but really, I'm still sore they didn't make it either a railway or a tramline.
Cheers,
John.