• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introductions

Hey! Just want to introduce myself. My name is Stephanie, I'm originally from London but studying abroad in Ireland at the moment. I'm hopefully going to start a PhD in the near future. I'm mainly interested in London Underground, but have some interest in mainline railways as well and I'm interested in other cities' underground/metro systems. I also have some interest in heritage/steam railways. I'm not a trainspotter, just someone who finds this stuff fascinating.

I've been on the tube as a child and always had some interest in it but lost interest after the 7/7 bombings :'( I like it because I think it's a fascinating system with a lot of hidden secrets the average person doesn't always see and there's a lot of history to it. I like how it has such a diverse mix of stations, from old Victorian gloom to shiny space age. I hope to have some interesting discussions here about LU and other aspects of railways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Due to a technical fault somewhere in the depths of my computer I have been unable to access this website for several months. With help from our admin team the fault has been identified and I should now be able to read the forum. Accordingly this email is now testing the system.

Willie Bee

I am new to this forum, so I'm just saying Hi

I live in Whitley Bay, once a famous seaside holiday destination ... there were even British Rail posters showing Whitley Bay.

Regards to all

Fearless

Hello and welcome, Willie Bee! I used to have friends in Cullercoats, would you believe. And I had the horrid experience of going to visit them on the Metro, and the doors didn't open at the station ... never had that before or since. Hope you have better luck!

dk1

Veteran Member
Hello & welcome to the forum. Most of us refrain from biting but beware of a few haha. Only been to your parish to tick the Fire Station Spoon.

prasadd

Hi, My Name is Prasad, and I am from India.

I am a blogger and writes about Indian railways.

Last edited by a moderator:

pieguyrob

Name Rob
Age 36
Occupation Taxi driver
Likes Pies, Trains and old cars
Lives Blackpool
What's in my wallet? I left in on the bus when I was 17. Still haven't got round to replacing it!

Chris217

Hi everyone
Just joined.
This forum looks great.
Will take some time to have a good look through all the topics.

My name is Chris
I live in Liverpool but originally from Cardiff.
Been here nearly 30 years.
I am a Liverpool bus driver of 15 years
starting at Gillmoss depot with Glenvale Transport.....Still here lol.

I have been a bus and rail enthusiast since 1976,so plenty of class 37s in South Wales back then.
Nowadays I am more interested in railways
as it's fast changing pace with liveries,franchises and fleet renewals etc.

I take photographs quite a lot and videos or trains. I have my own YouTube channel.
I collect 1980s fruit machines much to the annoyance of the missus lol.

With work commitments my rail time is limited but whenever I am on annual leave I try and get out on the trains.
I also log all my rail journeys and have recently finished off my class 142s off with 142057 being my last.

My favourite station is of course
Cardiff Central as many a good day spotting there when I was a lot younger.
Just a s Ha.e the coal traffic has all but vanished.
I still get there a few times a year to visit the folks.

Thanks for a great forum.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi X,

Welcome to the forum.

Acey

New to this forum,hello to all! My name is Andy,retired ex-BR/Connex/South Eastern Train Driver/live in Bromley -Kent
interests ,wildlife photography,music/geology and eating/drinking ( not necessarily in that order ) Was based at Grove Park Depot my whole career !

Richy78

Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum and like what I see.
I live in Torquay and hope to share some of the Southwest with you all.

Walshy23

Hi all!

My name is James and I’m 33 from Bristol. I’ve never joined a forum and actually introduced myself so this is a first for me! I’ve been reading a few post on here for a while and thought this forum is definitely something I want to be more involved in! Lots of great advise and reads.

Likes - music, travelling
Lives Bristol
What's in my wallet? £5 note, $1 note and receipts for work, picture of daughter

I’m currently a installation engineer and previous to that I was a HGV mechanic of 12 years. Recently I’ve decided to do what I’ve always wanted to do and work on the railways! Even when I was in school I did my work experience working in a train depot. I’m still deciding which route to take either in the cab as a driver or on the track as an engineer. I’m even considering a open university course to get me a degree in civil engineering.

Im not really to sure what else to say but I’m sure I’ll be learning lots and chatting to a few of you

Speak soon all

Name: Ellie
Lives: King's Lynn (via Cardiff, Hereford, Cardiff again, Stockholm and Cambridgeshire).
Occupation: Software Developer (a recent career change - was in academic publishing, and prior to that, a research scientist).
In my wallet: Bank card, gym card, coffee shop loyalty card, cash.

I've been interested in railways since I was a kid - we travelled a lot by train and I collected timetables and tickets for years. While I did stop collecting, the love of rail travel never left me. When I moved to Lynn last year and gained a daily rail commute, I decided to start spotting, and I now try to get out a couple of times per month at least. Currently working my way through GA's fleet before it is replaced...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lives: King's Lynn (via Cardiff, Hereford, Cardiff again, Stockholm and Cambridgeshire).
Occupation: Software Developer (a recent career change - was in academic publishing, and prior to that, a research scientist).

I've been interested in railways since I was a kid - we travelled a lot by train and I collected timetables and tickets for years. While I did stop collecting, the love of rail travel never left me. When I moved to Lynn last year and gained a daily rail commute, I decided to start spotting, and I now try to get out a couple of times per month at least. Currently working my way through GA's fleet before it is replaced...
Welcome to the forum Ellie.

Class325

Hello all, I've now expanded my horizons and joined this train forum! I like trains but i dont know an awful lot about them, so i hope during my time here i can gain more knowledge about trains. I will probably ask stupid questions every now and again so please just put up with me. For those of you who are into buses aswell, you might know me from the FellowsFilm Forums as 'Lukeyboi'. I am an avid PT veg and also enjoy 3D modelling. I enjoy modelling buses and would like to get into modelling trains too.

Trains I'd like to model:
-Class 325
-Class 319
-Class 313
-Class 321
-Class 153

A bit of train related background:
I was brought up on the midland mainline at Bedford, so i grew up on 319s and 377s. I miss both trains a lot, especially the 319s. Thankfully St Albans is only a short journey away, so I can still ride the 319s that are in service on the Abbey line. However, it isn't really the same. I do wonder if in many years time we'll be having railtours done with EMUs, much like what people currently do with steam. I personally would love the idea of having a Preserved FCC spec 319 on a railtour up the MML to Blackfriars or somewhere as such.

Richy78

Hi Ellie,
Hope you enjoy the forum and expand your interest in trains.

Curtis

Name Curtis
Age 27
Occupation PC - previous to that I have been police staff, Special Constable and a roofer!
Likes Running, Indian food, music, dogs, sleeping and Kraken rum
Lives Halifax
What's in my wallet? Debit card, a couple of supermarket points cards, Blue Light card, driving license, fuel card, Postcode Lottery card

Looking at starting a new career with Network Rail and currently researching job roles etc. Applied for signaller only to be told the vacancy was no longer available. Will keep trying!

Last edited:

Wall87

Hi, I’m new to this forum and am currently waiting to do a medical to work for network rail. Looking forward to it.

B7rleThrasher

Hello all!

I’m 26 and grew up in the Welsh valleys, but now reside in Bristol. My bedroom overlooked the Newport-Hereford line, so it was inevitable that the constant procession of 37s and 56s storming past the house would have some effect upon me!

I actively chase class 37s around the country, but also have a soft spot for 68s.

For work, I run a cluster of bus depots in SW England for one of the major groups - it was always my intention to have a career on the railway, but somehow got sucked into the bus industry instead! I don’t really have an appetite to go into rail any more, as I like the fast paced approach you have to have when working with buses.
One of the main reasons I joined the forum was due to the active “bus and coach” forum - nice to have this diversity on a rail forum!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello all!

I’m 26 and grew up in the Welsh valleys, but now reside in Bristol. My bedroom overlooked the Newport-Hereford line, so it was inevitable that the constant procession of 37s and 56s storming past the house would have some effect upon me!

I actively chase class 37s around the country, but also have a soft spot for 68s.

For work, I run a cluster of bus depots in SW England for one of the major groups - it was always my intention to have a career on the railway, but somehow got sucked into the bus industry instead! I don’t really have an appetite to go into rail any more, as I like the fast paced approach you have to have when working with buses.
One of the main reasons I joined the forum was due to the active “bus and coach” forum - nice to have this diversity on a rail forum!
Welcome to the forum. :smile:

MagnusAabye

Hey there,

My name is Magnus, im 20 years old & I was born in & still live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I have a huge interest in Britains Railways & im always interested in learning alot more about it. I sometimes post about Danish traction aswell so thats something I can hopefully share to this forum too. Hopefully in the near future, I can visit the UK & take photos & videos of some british rolling stock. But until then, pictures will suffice :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hey there,

My name is Magnus, im 20 years old & I was born in & still live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I have a huge interest in Britains Railways & im always interested in learning alot more about it. I sometimes post about Danish traction aswell so thats something I can hopefully share to this forum too. Hopefully in the near future, I can visit the UK & take photos & videos of some british rolling stock. But until then, pictures will suffice :)
You are most welcome to the forum Magnus. :smile:
Looking forward to what you contribute.

Hi!

My name is Colin and I am from South Devon.

My best years for trainspotting was from 1978 to 1990, I travelled all over the country with friends and on rail tours.

My favourite locos are a Class 40 and Class 50.

Today I am more interested in railway photography, especially steam trains.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi!

My name is Colin and I am from South Devon.

My best years for trainspotting was from 1978 to 1990, I travelled all over the country with friends and on rail tours.

My favourite locos are a Class 40 and Class 50.

Today I am more interested in railway photography, especially steam trains.
Welcome to the forum Colin. I’m also from Devon and I suppose my best years down here were 1986 - 1994...
Hopefully you’ll find some interesting stuff on here. ;)

Casual_andy

Owdoo, I'm Andy from South Yorkshire.
I've an interest in engineering, archaeology & history. I'm not a train enthusiast as such but I've gotten more into it the more I've used them.
Cheers.