• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introductions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

So I’m new too :) I’m Anthony and whilst I wouldn’t class myself as an enthusiast and I most certainly do not have anywhere near the knowledge that most of you do... some childhood memories of the Watercress Line were rekindled by a trip on the Flying Scotsman last month, that and moving into my flat which overlooks the SWR line. I don’t drive so use the railway a lot... so yeah ended up here where you lot seem like a decent bunch.

So a bit about me - almost certainly on the autistic spectrum, love history and aviation... hmmm probably more but I’m terrible at introductions. So I will just say ‘hi’ instead

Welcome Anthony.

where you lot seem like a decent bunch
You haven’t been lurking these forums for very long, have you? :D

Dodrzet

Evening!

I had the priviledge to participate in the Easter Tommy and Deltic Scotman Farewell rail tours, but gradually lost interest. Then one day I was waiting at a level crossing and there appeared to be a locomotive hauled passenger train go past, and what's more the locomotive seemed to have a name - 'Black Douglas' - not a sticker but a proper cast name. Then on another occasion a similar event happened so I knew it wasn't the German gin. This time it was 'Lord President'. The only locomotives with that name that I knew of were the LNER P2 and the BR 87. The Scottish names working a service to Scarborough seemed unusual. Interest piqued, and here I am...

PTR 444

Established Member
I’ve just realised that today marks a year since I joined this site. As I haven’t got round to formally introducing myself yet, I will do so now:

I’m Peter, 22 years of age and from Bournemouth. I’m currently living in the East Dorset area but intend to move back to Southampton for my third year of uni next month.

In regards to railways, my main interests are route planning, timetabling and mapping. I‘ve been interested in railways from a very young age, although specific aspects have changed over time. For example, I used to just like the appearance of locomotives and rolling stock, but nowadays I would say I’m more interested in the experience of travelling by train rather than the appearance and technical aspect of trains themselves. If we follow this trajectory, it’s probably likely that I will take up railway modelling in later years of my life.

You’ll often find me lurking in the speculative section of this site as I love to come up with new ideas to improve the network and improve train services across the country. Having grown up with a passion for transport, the Tube Map is my no.1 piece of inspiration that had shaped my life, and I am always looking at ways this can be adapted with new additions to the network.

Covid-19 has put my life on hold a bit, but I am hoping things will be back to some sort of normal soon and will be able to fulfill my dream of travelling across the country by rail. I would also love to be able to join some of the forum meets in the future and meet more like-minded people.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve just realised that today marks a year since I joined this site. As I haven’t got round to formally introducing myself yet, I will do so now:

I’m Peter, 22 years of age and from Bournemouth. I’m currently living in the East Dorset area but intend to move back to Southampton for my third year of uni next month.

In regards to railways, my main interests are route planning, timetabling and mapping. I‘ve been interested in railways from a very young age, although specific aspects have changed over time. For example, I used to just like the appearance of locomotives and rolling stock, but nowadays I would say I’m more interested in the experience of travelling by train rather than the appearance and technical aspect of trains themselves. If we follow this trajectory, it’s probably likely that I will take up railway modelling in later years of my life.

You’ll often find me lurking in the speculative section of this site as I love to come up with new ideas to improve the network and improve train services across the country. Having grown up with a passion for transport, the Tube Map is my no.1 piece of inspiration that had shaped my life, and I am always looking at ways this can be adapted with new additions to the network.

Covid-19 has put my life on hold a bit, but I am hoping things will be back to some sort of normal soon and will be able to fulfill my dream of travelling across the country by rail. I would also love to be able to join some of the forum meets in the future and meet more like-minded people.

Welcome to the forum Peter. :)

DustyBin

Established Member
I thought there must be an introductions/new members section somewhere!

I’ve browsed the forum for quite a while so thought it was time to join and contribute. I’m based in North East England and travel around the region as well as Scotland and the London area quite a bit. In terms of interests, I like BR-era locomotives and MU’s probably because I grew up with them and I’m particularly interested in Southern Electrics (SUB’s, EPB’s, CEP’s, CIG’s, VEP’s etc.). I’m also interested in the technical aspects of train design, being mechanically minded myself but not from a railway background.

Non-railway interests include cars and motorsport, vintage buses and lorry’s and boxing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought there must be an introductions/new members section somewhere!

I’ve browsed the forum for quite a while so thought it was time to join and contribute. I’m based in North East England and travel around the region as well as Scotland and the London area quite a bit. In terms of interests, I like BR-era locomotives and MU’s probably because I grew up with them and I’m particularly interested in Southern Electrics (SUB’s, EPB’s, CEP’s, CIG’s, VEP’s etc.). I’m also interested in the technical aspects of train design, being mechanically minded myself but not from a railway background.

Non-railway interests include cars and motorsport, vintage buses and lorry’s and boxing.
Welcome to the forum @DustyBin. :)

fowler9

Established Member
Hi folks, I hope everyone is well. I've not been on for a while due to various issues, not with you folks. Ha ha. I have a glorious history of depression plus I really haven't been very far on the train. I get panic attacks wearing a mask so I have limited myself to the 10 or so minute journey to Liverpool City centre, I do wear a mask out of respect of course. I went wild one day and caught the train from Lime Street to Huyton to get a photo of Tornado passing. Anyway, hope you are all well. Love to all.

Hi Fowler. I don't think we've come across eac h other before- I'm a newish member - but glad things are going better for you (I hope I'm not misinterpreting). I know that I have found this site a great place to relax, and where things in the outside world can be left aside for things that matter.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Hi folks, I hope everyone is well. I've not been on for a while due to various issues, not with you folks. Ha ha. I have a glorious history of depression plus I really haven't been very far on the train. I get panic attacks wearing a mask so I have limited myself to the 10 or so minute journey to Liverpool City centre, I do wear a mask out of respect of course. I went wild one day and caught the train from Lime Street to Huyton to get a photo of Tornado passing. Anyway, hope you are all well. Love to all.
I for one have missed your posts, not least in this particular forum. Welcome back.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

Welcome back. Must admit I am spending much less time here lately. Difficult to retain much enthusiasm for railways when the authorities don't really want them to be used that much at present. Pick your threads carefully; most discussions around Covid are getting as heated as those about Brexit. At least your Reds finally got a well deserved title!

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought it had been a bit quieter around these parts lately. <D

Welcome back.

AM9

Veteran Member
Welcome back. I remember our conversations on the Chat Moss wiring through Olive Mount early in my days here. Hope you are now well and enjoying using an electric railway that is the fruit of all those months of disruption.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I just assumed your absence had been down to a gargantuan hangover after winning the Premier league!

Glad all is well, and welcome back.

Hi all! After following for a while, I've decided to throw my had into the metaphorical ring and join the forum. A little bit about me :

Name: Matthew
Lives: East Devon/West Cornwall
Job: Student (Mechanical engineering)
Transport interests: Trains (Special mentions: Class 43 HST, Class 143, 1972 tube stock)
Non-transport interests: Painting, reading, formula 1, walking
Something I couldn't live without: A cup of tea, being by the coast
What's in my wallet: An assortment of coinage, some notes, railcard, couple of other cards, island line day ranger ticket

Hi all! After following for a while, I've decided to throw my had into the metaphorical ring and join the forum. A little bit about me :

Name: Matthew
Lives: East Devon/West Cornwall
Job: Student (Mechanical engineering)
Transport interests: Trains (Special mentions: Class 43 HST, Class 143, 1972 tube stock)
Non-transport interests: Painting, reading, formula 1, walking
Something I couldn't live without: A cup of tea, being by the coast
What's in my wallet: An assortment of coinage, some notes, railcard, couple of other cards, island line day ranger ticket

Hi Matthew

Welcome to this great forum.

I am quite new here too but I enjoy reading lots of interesting items.

I live in South Devon, not far from East Devon!

Hi Matthew

Welcome to this great forum.

I am quite new here too but I enjoy reading lots of interesting items.

I live in South Devon, not far from East Devon!

Thank you for the warm welcome @1369 , I enjoy reading, but never the fastest of readers. Devon has become almost my second county (originally from Cornwall, a place that close to my heart and still spend a fair amount of time (outside of Uni that is))

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you for the warm welcome @1369 , I enjoy reading, but never the fastest of readers. Devon has become almost my second county (originally from Cornwall, a place that close to my heart and still spend a fair amount of time (outside of Uni that is))
Welcome @43172, another one from Devon here. ;)

fowler9

Established Member
Great to hear from you all. Yeah I did toast our league win with a few beers, ahem, ha ha. Weirdest victory for a while. Ha ha. Also had one of our weirdest losses against Villa at the weekend. All I could do was laugh. Hope you are all well.

67thave

Hello!

I've been lurking here since about 2017, and I've finally decided to create an account.
I know that I will certainly enjoy my time here.
I'm a college student studying urban planning in New York City and, like most others on this board, find a lot of pleasure in transportation.