• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Invalid reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Here's a fun one for you - the TrainLine has just managed to generate me a reservation for a Scotrail service against a VTEC-only ticket. I'm not going to tempt fate, but what would the correct course of action be in this circumstance - both for the guard and the unsuspecting passenger?

Attachments

• reservation.JPG
    reservation.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If I were the guard, I would withdraw the ticket and reservation, complete a TIR and issue a zero-fare ticket in return.

The passenger should not be penalised.

richw

Veteran Member
For a passenger NRE planner is a definitive answer to itineraries according to the NRCOCs, so will NRE generate this itinerary, if so print and use accordingly

richw

Veteran Member
NRE has a disclaimer for errors. For a Guard I believe the TIR approach is correct.

A disclaimer isn't worth the paper it's written on when the contract specifies that NRE itineraries are the definitive guide to validity which is available to passengers.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A disclaimer isn't worth the paper it's written on when the contract specifies that NRE itineraries are the definitive guide to validity which is available to passengers.

Please let us not get into contract law again.

Ultimately the passenger cannot and should not be penalised.

najaB

Veteran Member
While discussion of NRE's status is interesting, the ticket and reservation were issued by the TrainLine.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
This is incorrect:
Where a document claims to be authoritative in forming a contract, and it also expresses an exception in the case of errors, then both of these terms must be read as applicable (as are all the other terms).

The upshot of this becomes quite simple : the information is to be treated as relevant and binding specifically where another source may differ, but allowance must be made for the occurence of errors.

OwlMan

Established Member
For a passenger NRE planner is a definitive answer to itineraries according to the NRCOCs, so will NRE generate this itinerary, if so print and use accordingly

Which section of the NRCoC is that?
Also it was a Trainline printout not an NRE one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.