• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Invalid ticket sold on Trainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie1729

I came across this reddit thread and was wondering who was at fault here: Trainline, GWR or both. Who would you go about complaining to?

The passenger bought an eticket (Off-Peak Single) from the trainline on the 07.15 train from Paddington to Bristol, but was then on the train they were charged £59 to upgrade their ticket.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/bqs0vu/bought_a_invalid_ticket_from_trainline_what_are/

I had bought a ticket from Paddington to Bristol through trainline for 715 this morning. Ticket checker said it was invalid as it was single off peak. I had to upgrade for £59. Has this happened to anyone else? What are my options?

AJwMK7P.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
We're they issued an itinerary with the ticket? If so I believe GWR should have honoured it as the sheepline can be deemed to be acting as agents of the railway in their capacity as a National Rail accredited booking site. However it may still be simpler to claim from the train line...

WesternLancer

Established Member
I came across this reddit thread and was wondering who was at fault here: Trainline, GWR or both. Who would you go about complaining to?

The passenger bought an eticket (Off-Peak Single) from the trainline on the 07.15 train from Paddington to Bristol, but was then on the train they were charged £59 to upgrade their ticket.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/bqs0vu/bought_a_invalid_ticket_from_trainline_what_are/
If the Trainline site offered any suggestion that the ticket was valid on the 07.15 (and say gave a reservation on that train) then it's the Trainlines fault (you'd prob need a screengrab to proove it maybe, or replicate it for another day). If the purchaser 'circumvented that' to buy a ticket valid later then used it at a peak time, it's their own fault.

Only if the ticket is in fcat valid on the 07.15 is it GWRs fault (for falsely charging the upgrade - which I doubt).

The advice to post is to never buy from the Trainline, as they are a 3rd party and best avoided on that basis, but to buy from at least a company that operates trains (all train companies sell tickets after all), preferably one that operates one of the trains on the journey you are making.

And if you are booking a ticket like that which requires no advance booking, perhaps don't bother to buy on line at all - just go to the ticket office that morning where the staff will charge you the correct fare (I realise ppl like the convenience of on line purchase of course)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If the Trainline site offered any suggestion that the ticket was valid on the 07.15 (and say gave a reservation on that train) then it's the Trainlines fault (you'd prob need a screengrab to proove it maybe, or replicate it for another day). If the purchaser 'circumvented that' to buy a ticket valid later then used it at a peak time, it's their own fault.

Only if the ticket is in fcat valid on the 07.15 is it GWRs fault (for falsely charging the upgrade - which I doubt).

This is bad advice and is not correct.

If a ticket is sold against an itinerary then it is de facto valid - simple contract law - whether there is a glitch in the matrix or not.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

It's quite simple. The Trainline act as GWR's agent in selling tickets; accordingly, GWR must honour the ticket that has been issued, and it is a breach of contract (if not worse, i.e. possibly an aggressive trading offence under consumer protection law) to charge an additional amount once someone is already on the train.

Last edited:

mallard

Established Member
Looking on BRFares, there does seem to be some strangeness with the ticket restriction data for this ticket. Specifically:

upload_2019-5-20_14-1-26.png

If the middle rule were to somehow "go missing", it would allow departure from Paddington on the 07:15 service. Additionally, this data is specifically for this week only, even though the rules are unchanged for future dates. The fact that the middle rule makes the others redundant is rather strange. I'd suspect that something went wrong with Thetrainline's copy of this data or its interpretation of it. It seems too much of a coincidence that the issue was with the 07:15 departure and that the data is set up this way.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Looking on BRFares, there does seem some strangeness with the ticket restriction data for this ticket. Specifically:

View attachment 63273

If the middle rule were to somehow "go missing", it would allow departure from Paddington on the 07:15 service. Additionally, this data is specifically for this week only, even though the rules are unchanged for future dates. The fact that the middle rule makes the others redundant is rather strange. I'd suspect that something went wrong with Thetrainline's copy of this data or its interpretation of it. It seems too much of a coincidence that the issue was with the 07:15 departure and that the data is set up this way.
I agree; I suspect that The Trainline's data interpretation engine has somehow got confused about the different yet seemingly identical restrictions. Interestingly, I can't get The Trainline or any other booking engine to reproduce it any more, so perhaps the data that produced this outcome was only published for a very short time?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd go to GWR first. As others have said, a contract had been formed in good faith specifically to travel on that train at that price, evidenced by the reservation for that train. Is this "bait and switch", effectively?

mallard

Established Member
I agree; I suspect that The Trainline's data interpretation engine has somehow got confused about the different yet seemingly identical restrictions. Interestingly, I can't get The Trainline or any other booking engine to reproduce it any more, so perhaps the data that produced this outcome was only published for a very short time?

I wonder if the middle rule was added later as a "patch" to the odd 07:15 de-restriction. The restriction text still doesn't match the listed rules, since they don't have the legitimate 08:04 - 08:08 "de-restriction" (Which is itself a bit bizzare; about the only thing it seems to allow that wouldn't otherwise be permitted is taking the 08:06 Newbury train to Reading and waiting around for a train that you could have caught from Paddington directly. Weird.).

WesternLancer

Established Member

If a ticket is sold against an itinerary then it is de facto valid - simple contract law - whether there is a glitch in the matrix or not.
Thanks for your observation - it seemed on the basis of the OP that this was unlikely (the provision of an itinerary) - and indeed the reddit post linked back to never indicated the buyer had such a thing either - so an element of supposition on my part. And we don't even know (do we?) where the ticket was to destination wise.

However, later posts here consider the strong possibility of a software error on the booking engine which is clearly worth the OP reporting back on. Helpful posts I suspect.

WesternLancer

Established Member

PS - when I posted my comment the itinerary screenshot now clearly showing with the OP was not visible to me, for which apols for any confusion.

robbeech

Established Member
Trainline successfully sold a few off peak day travelcards from Banbury the other week with itineraries getting into Marylebone before 1000. Chiltern refused then, made up some utter tripe on the spot and showered the passengers (with valid tickets) with arrogance and smugness. They’re not backing down, but neither are the passengers.

So this proves that Trainline (and anyone else) can get things wrong and data can be misinterpreted leading to these situations.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I would be absolutely fuming if this happened to be or someone I know.
If you buy a ticket with an itinerary for a specific train from a legit seller, then surely it has to be accepted as valid for that service?
GWR are totally in the wrong here.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

AJwMK7P.png
GWR were wrong, and not for the first time.

The Guard acted incorrectly and the company is now in breach of contract and consumer laws as a result.

However it may still be simpler to claim from the train line...
This is incorrect; Trainline are not liable and I'd expect them to direct the customer to GWR.

That said, if GWR refuse to issue a refund, I'd expect Trainline would assist.

If the Trainline site offered any suggestion that the ticket was valid on the 07.15 (and say gave a reservation on that train) then it's the Trainlines fault (you'd prob need a screengrab to proove it maybe, or replicate it for another day).
Why do youthink is it Trainline's fault?

To be clear, it isn't.
If the purchaser 'circumvented that' to buy a ticket valid later then used it at a peak time, it's their own fault.
It is not possible for a purchaser to circumvent this.
The data said the ticket was valid, so Trainline were correct to sell it; this is GWR's liability.

The Guard should have honoured the contract, as per the itinerary.
The advice to post is to never buy from the Trainline, as they are a 3rd party and best avoided on that basis, but to buy from at least a company that operates trains (all train companies sell tickets after all), preferably one that operates one of the trains on the journey you are making.
Why?

It would have made absolutely no difference to the outcome in this case.
PS - when I posted my comment the itinerary screenshot now clearly showing with the OP was not visible to me, for which apols for any confusion.
I have just read this after typing the above; no worries , hopefully it is clear now :)

Absolutely spot on.

You are right that it's a data issue, but it's the train companies who specify this.

I am reminded of some recent occurences where members of this forum were issued with itinearies for trains which were not honoured by GWR; they had to fight hard to get a refund but were eventually successful.

It's an ongoing issue.

Data issues are understandable, but Guards incorrectly breaching contracts is absolutely not excusable.
Trainline successfully sold a few off peak day travelcards from Banbury the other week with itineraries getting into Marylebone before 1000. Chiltern refused then, made up some utter tripe on the spot and showered the passengers (with valid tickets) with arrogance and smugness. They’re not backing down, but neither are the passengers.

So this proves that Trainline (and anyone else) can get things wrong and data can be misinterpreted leading to these situations.
Yes retailers can get it wrong; c2c were issuing loads of time restricted tickets (Off Peak, Super Off Peak etc) at invalid times which was later fixed. But this is very rare. It's much more common that the retailer are correctly interpreting the data, but the data isn't what the TOC (or the Guard) thinks it should be and/or wants it to be.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
Our work travel booker uses Trainline and it regularly offers illegal itineraries as it doesn't correctly interpret the online easements correctly. I've been sold numerous incorrectly routed tickets by them with reservations. Equally it often refuses perfectly valid routeings, instead offering only much more expensively routed tickets. It really is the worst tool out there and the fact they charge a fee for using it to all users is farcical. Also you'd expect Trainline to assist but IME they are as useful as a paper umbrella.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Our work travel booker uses Trainline and it regularly offers illegal itineraries as it doesn't correctly interpret the online easements correctly. I've been sold numerous incorrectly routed tickets by them with reservations. Equally it often refuses perfectly valid routeings, instead offering only much more expensively routed tickets. It really is the worst tool out there and the fact they charge a fee for using it to all users is farcical. Also you'd expect Trainline to assist but IME they are as useful as a paper umbrella.
Routeing matters are entirely separate to time restrictions (from a data/programming point of view).

The only similarity is that the customer has a valid contract to travel so must not be charged an excess or new ticket.

I can only recall ever encountering one Guard who attempted to charge extra when using a ticket in accordance with the itinerary for a route that is not a permitted route, but an off duty BTP officer became involved and the Guard was later instructed to cancel the charge.

It's far more common for an itinerary to be refused for a time restriction.
I would be absolutely fuming if this happened to be or someone I know.
If you buy a ticket with an itinerary for a specific train from a legit seller, then surely it has to be accepted as valid for that service?
GWR are totally in the wrong here.
It does have to be, yes.

Last edited:

father_jack

I wonder if the middle rule was added later as a "patch" to the odd 07:15 de-restriction. The restriction text still doesn't match the listed rules, since they don't have the legitimate 08:04 - 08:08 "de-restriction" (Which is itself a bit bizzare; about the only thing it seems to allow that wouldn't otherwise be permitted is taking the 08:06 Newbury train to Reading and waiting around for a train that you could have caught from Paddington directly. Weird.).
Restriction code LC seems to be gone a bit haywire. http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BRI&dest=PAD&grpd=1072&tkt=SVS

It's offering time restrictions from Birmingham etc and scroll to the bottom for a zany restriction from Severn Beach !!!

najaB

Veteran Member
Why do youthink is it Trainline's fault?

To be clear, it isn't.
Do we know for a fact that Trainline didn't sell an invalid ticket/itinerary combination that was never actually available to be sold?

I have been issued a reservation that wasn't technically valid before - though in that case the reservation was issued after the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.