• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness, mysterious platform 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sox

Inverness railway station forms quite a large and integrated transport hub.

So how come platform 7 is so remote and detached, i.e. did it ever extend to the canopy of the main station building?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

Inverness railway station forms quite a large and integrated transport hub.

So how come platform 7 is so remote and detached, i.e. did it ever extend to the canopy of the main station building?

Don't think it ever made it inside the main station canopy, but I seem to remember (possibly incorrectly) that it was cut back to increase car parking.

Interestingly, the current Platform 5, with its connection eastwards halfway along the platform is not a modern innovation - the zoomable map from the 1870s on this page (http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_maps.jsp?item_id=43857 ) shows that the previous Platform 3 had the same layout!

Veteran Member
Google images of Inverness station confirm that P7 originally extended as far as the station buildings (but not under the roof). My hunch is that the outermost section is an extension since the platform was cut back - look at an aerial photo to see what I mean.

barrykas

Established Member
Don't think it ever made it inside the main station canopy, but I seem to remember (possibly incorrectly) that it was cut back to increase car parking.

Interestingly, the current Platform 5, with its connection eastwards halfway along the platform is not a modern innovation - the zoomable map from the 1870s on this page (http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_maps.jsp?item_id=43857 ) shows that the previous Platform 3 had the same layout!

Looking at the map and an aerial view of the station, I'd be inclined to suggest that the current Platform 5 is the previous Platform 3, and the car park is on the previous Platform 4.

PaulLothian

Looking at the map and an aerial view of the station, I'd be inclined to suggest that the current Platform 5 is the previous Platform 3, and the car park is on the previous Platform 4.

That was what I reckoned, based on the alignment of old and new tracks in relation to the station hotel.

Sox

Out of curiosity, are there any services that arrive at Inverness platform 5* from the east and then depart from the same platform to the north (and/or vice versa)?

*I think it's 5, the one that forms the platform sided apex of the "turning triangle".

Tomnick

Established Member
No - the connection from the east is worked by a ground frame and not to passenger standards. There's not much room between the connection and the buffer stops either.

Eng274

Out of curiosity, are there any services that arrive at Inverness platform 5* from the east and then depart from the same platform to the north (and/or vice versa)?

*I think it's 5, the one that forms the platform sided apex of the "turning triangle".

You can *just* fit a 158 and no more to clear the points, as stated above it is very tight and introduces performance (ie punctuality) and safety risks that outweigh the operational benefits. AFAIK these points are more or less permanently set for the Dingwall line from platform 5.

Was there not a once a day direct service from Edinburgh Waverley to Wick circa 2003 or did I imagine it?

Last edited by a moderator:

cf111

Established Member
You can *just* fit a 158 and no more to clear the points, as stated above it is very tight and introduces performance (ie punctuality) and safety risks that outweigh the operational benefits. AFAIK these points are more or less permanently set for the Dingwall line from platform 5.

Was there not a once a day direct service from Edinburgh Waverley to Wick circa 2003 or did I imagine it?

The last northbound train of the day ran Edinburgh-Wick, yes. The toilets were disgusting :(.

I've got it in my head that at the same time, the first southbound train in the morning ran to Aberdeen.

Eng274

The last northbound train of the day ran Edinburgh-Wick, yes. The toilets were disgusting :(.

I've got it in my head that at the same time, the first southbound train in the morning ran to Aberdeen.

Yes, the 04:53 Inverness - Edinburgh goes via Aberdeen, taking 4 hours 38 minutes :)

cf111

Established Member

Yes, the 04:53 Inverness - Edinburgh goes via Aberdeen, taking 4 hours 38 minutes :)

Sorry, I meant the first train from Wick was timetabled like that [WIC - INV - ABD] about 10 years ago. Should have been clearer :oops:

Eng274

Sorry, I meant the first train from Wick was timetabled like that [WIC - INV - ABD] about 10 years ago. Should have been clearer :oops:

No worries! First Wick departure (06:20) doesnt go beyond Inverness at present.

Sox

Thanks for your response, interesting to say that getting a pair of 158s round would be "do-able" but the amount of careful driving required would, operationally, take up too much time. It looks like the triangle facility is therefore "plenty generous" to turn around a single engine but "too tight" for general passenger use.

A bit skew whiff on topic but I was at the Rawtenstall end of the ELR the other day (they were running pairs of diesel engines) and it seemed that the run around arrangement was fine for a single engine (distance between points and buffers) but I don't think they would have got a pair around.

Tomnick

Established Member
As I said, it's also not signalled to passenger standards if my observations are correct. By the time you've stopped to operate the ground frame, you might as well have gone via a reversal anyway!

Sox

As I said, it's also not signalled to passenger standards if my observations are correct. By the time you've stopped to operate the ground frame, you might as well have gone via a reversal anyway!
Yes, I didn't twig the significance of that palaver!

Sox

Been meaning to post this for a while, taken at Inverness station, somewhat diagrammatic but shows the limited headroom available for shunting at platform 5.

Also, relevant to my initial posting, looks like platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5 have also been truncated at some stage. Truncating at 5 would have considerably reduced the shunting headroom and maybe this was retained to the bare minimum.

IMG_20131021_165641_zps2d4447a7.jpg

Railsigns

Established Member
Been meaning to post this for a while, taken at Inverness station, somewhat diagrammatic but shows the limited headroom available for shunting at platform 5.

Also, relevant to my initial posting, looks like platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5 have also been truncated at some stage. Truncating at 5 would have considerably reduced the shunting headroom and maybe this was retained to the bare minimum.

I would suggest that the map is misleading as it omits the portions of Platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5 that are underneath the station roof. It's my recollection that these platforms' tracks go right up to the concourse.

Ben.A.98

I would suggest that the map is misleading as it omits the portions of Platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5 that are underneath the station roof. It's my recollection that these platforms' tracks go right up to the concourse.

You are correct, they do go right up to the concourse, unless they have dramatically changed it in the past month. :)

Railsigns

Established Member
You are correct, they do go right up to the concourse, unless they have dramatically changed it in the past month.

Thanks. It's been a few months since I was last at Inverness station but I certainly don't remember there being a long walk between concourse and train when using these platforms!

Status
Not open for further replies.