• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness to Llanelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hi everyone

I thought I'd try the splitfare website for tickets from Inverness to Llanelli on Friday 30 October. After several minutes of searching, it came up with an Anytime single from Inverness to Crewe at £214 each, plus an advance single Crewe - Llanelli at £14. The site informed me that this represented a saving of 25.99% on the 'normal price' of £327. Sadly, I am no more likely to pay £428 for tickets for my wife and I to travel than I am going to pay £654! In the same time that it took split fare to work, I found an Inverness - Manchester advance for £20 each, and a Manchester - Llanelli advance at £14 each! Admittedly this does take a bit longer than the splitfare suggestion, but I don't care about two hours when I can save £360!!!

As the splitfare site links into the trainline, is this a rail industry attempt to 'cash in' on the growing awareness of splitting tickets? The % saving indication seems very similar to the adverts used by the trainline when they claim that tickets bought with them are xxx% cheaper than at the station. I'm sure that most of the regular posters on here will be wary of splitfare anyway, but my guess is that the site is aimed at those people who have read an article in a newspaper and have little knowledge of the intricacies of ticketing system! At the end of the day, if I hadn't been able to find the advances via Manchester, and if I didn't have a bit of knowledge and understainding of the railways, I would have been completely put off by the fares quoted and flown to Bristol for £5.99 (plus tax I guess) each instead!

What does everyone else think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
It's more likely to be a site that's been put together by somebody with the hope of getting the comission from thetrainline sales and other advertising.

The site and the company are both registered to a residential address in Leeds.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's interesting, I hadn't looked into the site very much, I just spotted the similarity in the % savings quotes! TBH I hoped it would be a bit of a time saver, but it wasn't!!!

In fairness, the site does explain that it will only look for one split, which I understand and accept, but I've only doen one split at Manchester Piccadilly. I think it must just look for the quicklest journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Splitfare has many limitations, as you've found out. It only does ONE split (more would be impractical) and it appears to look for the fastest journeys, and then work out how to split them. This is a completely different method to looking up the cheapest route. It will only give suggestions from Thetrainline so it won't suggest rovers/rangers, and it won't tell you where it is cheaper to buy a ticket to go further that is cheaper (e.g. if you tried Thirsk to Whitby, it would not tell you about the cheapest ticket which is York to Whitby).

jwos

Buy a single from Inverness to Rosslare - £32. No Advance Purchase requirements. Break of journey of rail portion permitted. Sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.