• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness to Tweedbank route

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

I'm currently using one of the £1 anytime day single tickets from Inverness to Tweedbank.

Am I right in thinking I can change at Perth to go via Dundee rather than use the direct train to Edinburgh?

The route on the ticket just says via Aviemore.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I don't think that's a permitted route.

Inverness is a routeing point. Edinburgh group is the routeing point associated with Tweedbank.

Permitted routes for Inverness to Edinburgh are on map EI or map IE or map KI.

EI gives via Perth, Stirling & Falkirk.

IE gives via Aberdeen, Dundee & Kirkcaldy. [EDIT: which doesn't assist as it's not "via Aviemore"]

KI gives via Perth, Ladybank (direct, i.e. not via Dundee) & Kirkcaldy.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The route on the ticket just says via Aviemore.
That means all the permitted routes that pass through Aviemore*.

So if there is no mapped route that passes through Dundee which also passes through Aviemore, then you are not permitted to go via Dundee.

(* Not applicable in this case, but if there were no permitted routes via Aviemore then you'd look up Inverness-Aviemore and Aviemore-Tweedbank separately and combine them)

BlueFox

The ticket is actually from Nairn to Tweedbank.

To check the route validity I used the national rail website and asked for Nairn to Tweedbank via Dundee. The route it gave me was via Aberdeen for £63.40, which is obviously not valid on a ticket that's routed via Aviemore.
The normal fare for a Nairn to Tweedbank ticket via Aviemore is £55.

I wanted to check for a route via Aviemore and Dundee but the national rail site only gives the option to use one via so that wasn't possible. I'm sure I've used a site before that allows you to enter multiple vias but can't remember which one.

So I then checked for tickets from Inverness to Tweedbank via Dundee and it gave me the choice of changing at Aberdeen and Edinburgh for £63.40 or changing at Perth, Dundee and Edinburgh for £55.
So assuming the national rail site is right it looks like an Inverness to Tweedbank ticket is valid to use via Aviemore and Dundee, and presumably a Nairn to Tweedbank ticket would be too.

I didn't actually go that way though, I decided to go via Stirling instead to avoid any possible problems.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
So I then checked for tickets from Inverness to Tweedbank via Dundee and it gave me the choice of changing at Aberdeen and Edinburgh for £63.40 or changing at Perth, Dundee and Edinburgh for £55.
So assuming the national rail site is right it looks like an Inverness to Tweedbank ticket is valid to use via Aviemore and Dundee, and presumably a Nairn to Tweedbank ticket would be too.
Interesting find! The electronic journey planner used by National Rail Enquiries, Silverrail Silversearch (formerly Jeppesen IPTIS), seems to have a bug. If you click on the "Other valid routes" option and then click on the downward arrow beside the little yellow exclamation mark that appears on top of the map once it's loaded (see attached screenshots), you'll see that the journey planner is erroneously applying a routeing guide easement intended for diverted sleeper services in February, which hasn't been removed.

Attachments

• inv-twb.png
    inv-twb.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 49
  • inv-twb-easement.png
    inv-twb-easement.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 44

ScotTrains

Inverness (and Nairn) to Tweedbank via Aviemore tickets ARE valid via Dundee, assuming you change at Dundee, i.e. don't go via Aberdeen. At the time I put in via Dundee and the 'via Aviemore' tickets all came up for £1. I even got seat reservations on VTEC to Dundee. I can confirm the tickets work fine through the barriers at Dundee if you want to get off there.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The offending easement was removed from the routeing guide yesterday (see this thread), and NRE is now saying two tickets are required to travel via Dundee, with the hilarious (and presumably unintended) result that the fare it is offering is actually CHEAPER due to split ticketing savings! See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• inv-twb-dee-split.png
    inv-twb-dee-split.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.