• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Invitations to Tender issued for three new rail franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/f...97&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

Invitations to Tender (ITT) for bidders for three new rail franchises, New Cross Country, East Midlands and West Midlands will be issued by the Department for Transport today.

The ITTs set out minimum levels of service operators will deliver when the new franchises commence on 11th November 2007. Bidders are able to operate additional services, subject to operational constraints, over and above the services outlined. The deadlines for completed bids fall between late February and early March 2007, and the winners are expected to be announced in Summer 2007.

Overall, we have asked bidders to find ways to operate more capacity on the network to accommodate recent and future growth. Operational changes will facilitate train-lengthening on some core routes and a more regular timetable for many passengers. Bidders have been asked to price a 30% increase in capacity on key routes in the New Cross Country franchise.

There will be service changes in each of the new franchises to capitalise on the improvements brought about by the West Coast Main Line modernisation, which will put in place faster, more frequent services from 2008. Where possible, more frequent, longer trains or new services will operate.

The winners will accept interoperable smartcard ticketing across the whole of each franchise during their lifetime. Each contract will specify performance improvements. In the East and West Midlands franchises, where the operator will be responsible for stations, they will be required to achieve Secure Stations Accreditation for the busiest locations.

Some bits from the Notes to Editors

2. Snow Hill services: In addition Chiltern Railways (M40 Trains Ltd) are being invited to submit a separate proposal for the Snow Hill services to Birmingham

3. Capacity: Bidders for the New Cross Country franchise are being asked to price a 30% increase in capacity on key routes. They have also been asked to offer a price without the additional capacity added to ensure that the Department has a comparison which to properly evaluate increased capacity proposals.

4. Timetable changes - New Cross Country franchise. The following changes are planned:

* Cross Country services between Manchester and Scotland will stop in December 2007. Separately, TransPennine Express (TPE) will extend the existing Manchester Airport - Cumbria service to Scotland, offering comparable journey times to today.

* From no later than 2008 services between Birmingham and Scotland will be operated by Virgin West Coast

* Penzance and destinations in the South West will continue to be served by the same number of Cross Country trains and a new contractual commitment to operate summer services between the North East and North West of England to Newquay.

5. Timetable changes - West Midlands franchise. The timetable operated until December 2008 will be similar to today. Bidders will be asked to price an option for the retention of the Walsall - Wolverhampton service from December 2007. The timetable alterations in 2008 will mean:

* A broadly hourly new London - Crewe semi-fast service, serving Trent Valley stations, Stone and Stoke on Trent.

* Two trains an hour between Birmingham and Liverpool, calling at the new Liverpool South Parkway station, and two trains per hour between Birmingham and Northampton

* Curtailment of the current hourly Birmingham - Walsall - Cannock - Stafford service at Rugely Trent Valley, with a connection at Rugely Trent Valley with the London - Crewe semi-fast service. Bidders are also required to improve Rugely Trent Valley station.

* Operationally, it has not been possible to introduce an hourly Birmingham - Manchester semi-fast service.

6. Timetable changes - East Midlands franchise

* A dedicated London and Kettering service will be introduced from December 2008, which will pave the way for the extension of London trains through to Corby if a new station is given the go-ahead

* A new station, East Midlands Parkway, will be serviced by London - Nottingham services and will get at least 2 trains per hour

* No changes to the current Liverpool - Norwich service, except a provision for the service to call at Liverpool South Parkway

* DfT has not included all off-peak services between Market Harborough and London in the specification. More popular peak time services will remain and will become faster at the 2008 timetable change. Bidders are free to propose running off-peak services
Some questions - with there being no semi fast Birmingham-Manchester service, will Cross Country continue to serve Congelton

And what is happenning to the Barton line, proposed in the consultation document for transfer to East Midlands (something which I am personally against - it was my letter on the issue in a recent Today Railways)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
And what is happenning to the Barton line, proposed in the consultation document for transfer to East Midlands (something which I am personally against - it was my letter on the issue in a recent Today Railways)

In a funny non express kind of way, I think TPE should operate the route, as the practically do now, trains used would be a problem though...

Jordy

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In a funny non express kind of way, I think TPE should operate the route, as the practically do now, trains used would be a problem though...

Jordy

Couldn't one of the 2 car 170s that they are getting in cover it?

Jordy

Established Member
Waste of resources TBH (I never though i say this), a 153 would be better (I may need to hide - Humberside may kill me ;))

Jordy

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Waste of resources TBH (I never though i say this), a 153 would be better (I may need to hide - Humberside may kill me ;))

Jordy

:lol: A 153 in the dynamic first livery eh? Would maybe look good!

EDIT: On a more serious note, having thought properly, a 170 probably isn't a good use of resources. But I do think it would be sensible for TPE to operate that route, its in their area and would stop it being almost isolated for Northern. Surely it must be a nightmare for them if a unit fails on that line?

Humberside

TransPennine would be the best operator for the route and a 170 would be very nice, although most of the time a 153 would realistically be enough

Ive just found Barton is staying with Northern however (better than going to East Midlands)

Barton-on-Humber branch

Following discussions with Northern it has been decided that the Barton-on-Humber branch will continue to be operated by the Northern franchise. The Department encourages the Northern franchise operator to liaise closely with local stakeholders with regard to improved bus links to Hull.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_railways/documents/page/dft_railways_613535.doc

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dft said:
The Department encourages the Northern franchise operator to liaise closely with local stakeholders with regard to improved bus links to Hull.

That'll be the day :roll:

Although something should be done, I can't see the buses waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.