• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

iOS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alan1310

It's lovely but I will say it's not as user friendly as it was due to the buttons just being words instead of buttons
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't like the new safari

anme

Established Member
Very ugly! Looks like a poor Chinese Android skin.
Quite slow and jerky on my ipad 3.
Safari is indeed nasty, but seems a bit faster. Not very classy to include Disney, ESPN and Yahoo adverts in it though.

Last edited:

Aldaniti

iOS 6 works great for me, don't see any reason to upgrade yet. Always best to wait a while anyway to hear other peoples comments and see if there's any bugs that need ironing out. Having said that if it improves battery life on my 4S i'll upgrade straight away!

Whistler40145

Established Member
I've just downloaded it onto my Ipad 4 & noticed as default it shows all music stored on iCloud, you have to disable this in Settings>Music to view music in a synced Playlist, this is the same for Music Videos.

I really haven't had a good look around yet.

I look forward to your views on iOS 7.

anme

Established Member
It does a few nasty things on upgrade. Most settings are preserved, but I found that FaceTime, messages and Bluetooth were all enabled (disabled before upgrade) and "do not track" in the browser was disabled (enabled before upgrade). Make sure you check.

Does not give a good impression of Apple.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Very ugly! Looks like a poor Chinese Android skin.
Quite slow and jerky on my ipad 3.
Safari is indeed nasty, but seems a bit faster. Not very classy to include Disney, ESPN and Yahoo adverts in it though.

What adverts?

anme

Established Member
What adverts?

They turn out to be default bookmarks in the 'favourites' list which are displayed when a new tab is opened. They can be deleted.

Overall impression so far - good that the vile skeuomorphism is gone, and a few nice features such as the control centre are added (albeit long after the competition). I don't really like the new look though and the browser, which is the most important feature for me, looks awful - far too bright. Few long standing deficiencies are addressed, so still no widget/live tile equivalent, still only very limited sharing of data between apps, etc. It's also slow, jerky and prone to short freezes on the ipad 3. Altogether, 5/10.

Bungle73

On Moderation
They turn out to be default bookmarks in the 'favourites' list which are displayed when a new tab is opened. They can be deleted.

Overall impression so far - good that the vile skeuomorphism is gone, and a few nice features such as the control centre are added (albeit long after the competition). I don't really like the new look though and the browser, which is the most important feature for me, looks awful - far too bright. Few long standing deficiencies are addressed, so still no widget/live tile equivalent, still only very limited sharing of data between apps, etc. It's also slow, jerky and prone to short freezes on the ipad 3. Altogether, 5/10.

Only shows Bing for me.

I wish they'd put Location Services in the Control Centre, as it something I switch on and off frequently (as having it on runs down the battery faster), and doing so through the settings menu is a pain.

WestCoast

Established Member
Not had any problems whatsoever on my iPhone 5, the new graphics are quite bright and bold but not offensively so IMO. I really like the new wallpapers for the lock and home screen.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I find it somewhat suspicious that every single new feature either seems to be a copy of a product of Samsung, Google or the jailbreak community. Most coming from the latter.

So much for Apple's famed innovation.

D365

Veteran Member
Can't get it on my battered old 3GS 32GB, and won't be for a while I suppose. Too many people getting excited on Twitter, it's just the next stage of progression tbh. They've got nothing else to do during the painfully slow install though, tbf. Not so keen on the theme, suits the 5C I suppose, but Control Center is something I've wanted for ages.

Last edited:
downgraded to iOS 7 last night. I wish I'd saved the sh.blobs for iOS 6.1.3. It's truly awful on my iPad 3.

anme

Established Member
Same for me as for nathanclass323 - my ipad 3 basically doesn't do the animations. It just jerks a bit. It would be better if it didn't bothering trying. I don't really care if the screen is animated or not, but jerking is just annoying.
The problem with the browser is the super bright bar at the top of the screen and the super bright keyboard (which doesn't seem to appear anywhere else). On the ipad, it's very distracting when looking at a site that isn't super bright itself, such as this one.
The control centre is good, but swiping up from the bottom of the screen is a poor choice to access it. In the browser it came up all the time when I tried to scroll. I had to disable it except for the home screen. Shame - in Android you swipe down from the hope of the screen which is much less prone to errors.
I also activate the 'pull down to search' feature accidentally on a very regular basis. That one can't be disabled.

Same for me as for nathanclass323 - my ipad 3 basically doesn't do the animations. It just jerks a bit. It would be better if it didn't bothering trying. I don't really care if the screen is animated or not, but jerking is just annoying.
The problem with the browser is the super bright bar at the top of the screen and the super bright keyboard (which doesn't seem to appear anywhere else). On the ipad, it's very distracting when looking at a site that isn't super bright itself, such as this one.
The control centre is good, but swiping up from the bottom of the screen is a poor choice to access it. In the browser it came up all the time when I tried to scroll. I had to disable it except for the home screen. Shame - in Android you swipe down from the hope of the screen which is much less prone to errors.
I also activate the 'pull down to search' feature accidentally on a very regular basis. That one can't be disabled.

It does the animations on mine but I agree about the browser. Same goes with the "Pull Down Search". The whole OS just seems a bit tacky to me and as if it were designed for young children though slightly more complicated.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've tried downloading earlier and first attempt couldn't connect to the servers, whilst my second attempted was aborted after a momentary disconnection of our (useless) broadband connection. I may wait a few days.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Well my iPod is still on 4.2.1, although I think I may have just ruined it...

D365

Veteran Member
I got my 3GS only because I wanted the in-line Notification Center Twitter/Facebook widgets (though I still post here more!), a smartphone camera (no matter how crap) and because a teacher had exactly the same cheap Orange phone as me... Although I've lost the old built-in YouTube app, the new Google-developed version has finally (almost, you can't sleep the phone and carry on playing) filled its shoes. Albeit losing support for anything before iOS 5, which peeves my sister as she bought my old iTouch3!

As it stands, I'd only want iOS 7 for Control Center and fingerprints - not going for an iPad like too many of my peers :lol:

1e10

Can't get it on my battered old 3GS 32GB, and won't be for a while I suppose. Too many people getting excited on Twitter, it's just the next stage of progression tbh. They've got nothing else to do during the painfully slow install though, tbf. Not so keen on the theme, suits the 5C I suppose, but Control Center is something I've wanted for ages.

It won't be available for the 3GS at any point.

Fingerprint security features is only available on the 5S model.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
It won't be available for the 3GS at any point.

I meant that I won't be (able to be) getting hold of any of these latest versions anytime soon. Apologies for my lack of clarity.

Fingerprint security features is only available on the 5C model.

5S, as was said by jonmorris0844 above. 5C is 'Colour', 'Cheap' (certainly not much less than an equivalent 5S, and the 4S is still being sold) or even just 'Crap' depending on your view. It's only supposed to just be a 5 repackaged in plastic - thereby increasing the profit and diversity of the line-up for Apple...

WestCoast

Established Member
I haven't yet dowloaded iOS7 for my iPad 3, might wait a bit. Even so, I've been using the iPad much less since I won a new Google Nexus 7. Many of the quirks of iOS7 seem like straight copies of Android releases; dynamic wallpaper for example!

I've got two of each now - one Android HTC One for work, an iPhone 5 for personal use, an iPad 3 and the aforementioned Nexus tablet. Plus, I'm always sorting out my Dad's Lumia (which he hates, but only because it replaced his beloved Nokia 3310!). They all have their strengths and weaknesses; personally I prefer iOS on a phone and Android on a tablet. This is probably because I quite like the simplicity of the iOS interface on a phone, whereas I prefer more flexibility with a tablet.

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
I've had iOS7 throughout the beta stages, and I think it's the best thing to hit iPhone software in a long time.

I've noted throughout the beta process that iPad versions of iOS7 have always been 'very' buggy and there are (or were when I last checked) updates to come along at some point to make it less buggy for these devices.

Siri has had a much needed update as well as the infamous Apple Maps. I'd expected playlist functionality akin to iTunes' 'what's next' facility; unfortunately it became apparent very quickly that this would not be the case.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The mobile trade newspaper produced by my old company did a survey this morning by interviewing the first 100 people in the queue. Only one was buying a 5c! All the others were getting the 5s.

I do think the 5c is going to be a bit of a disaster for Apple, at least until it drops the price. It's not cheap, even though it IS cheap because it's just an iPhone 5 in a cheaper shell, meaning a much higher profit margin. But the general public doesn't seem interested and wants the 'proper' iPhone, not a variant that people will assume means you couldn't afford the 5s.

michael769

Established Member
I do think the 5c is going to be a bit of a disaster for Apple, at least until it drops the price. It's not cheap, even though it IS cheap because it's just an iPhone 5 in a cheaper shell, meaning a much higher profit margin. But the general public doesn't seem interested and wants the 'proper' iPhone, not a variant that people will assume means you couldn't afford the 5s.

I would be cautious about extrapolating the 1st day queue at Apple stores to be representative of the general public.

Can I suggest to you the hypothesis that people who are motivated to queue on the first day to get a expensive unlocked version are far more likely to desire the top of the range model than someone who is happy to wait for the rush to die down and then get a subsidized handset from a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.