• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IoW Steam Railway photo locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Good evening.

I shall be on holiday on the Island for a week from 5 June. I shall take a trip on the Steam Railway, and it is also the 50th Anniversary weekend.

Depending on time, weather and family, I hope to do a little lineside photography. Could anyone recommend good locations where one can park up safely and get decent views of the line - I'm happy to walk 10-15min from where I leave the car.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
There are a couple of lanes near Wootton (the one that goes up behind the Lakeside Hotel may be a better bet), but I don’t whether they are open to road vehicles or what the surface is like. (I haven’t walked that way for around ten years.) Other than that, you are probably looking at the Ashey area.

Veteran Member
Belated thanks. Do you - or anyone - happen to know which way round the O2 and A1X face? Is it still chimney first from Smallbrook?

IWSR Steve

Belated thanks. Do you - or anyone - happen to know which way round the O2 and A1X face? Is it still chimney first from Smallbrook?
Knowle is pointing chimney towards Wootton (up the ruling gradient) in common with the rest of the IWSR fleet

Good evening.

I shall be on holiday on the Island for a week from 5 June. I shall take a trip on the Steam Railway, and it is also the 50th Anniversary weekend.

Depending on time, weather and family, I hope to do a little lineside photography. Could anyone recommend good locations where one can park up safely and get decent views of the line - I'm happy to walk 10-15min from where I leave the car.

Many thanks in advance.
Here’s the details of locations with public access. Ashey station, Packsfield Lane and Woodhouse Crossing are good spots: https://iwsteamrailway.co.uk/heritage/lineside-photography/

Veteran Member

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant, thank you very much, I hadn't spotted that - looking forward to my first trip since 1965 too :)

Whenever you see shots taken from around Ashey they always look really good.
Would you be able to share some of them with us when you’ve been?

Status
Not open for further replies.